Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

GPZ500s, removing swing arm linkage and centre stand...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

DaveH
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 26 May 2007    Post subject: GPZ500s, removing swing arm linkage and centre stand... Reply with quote

Hi,

Am trying to remove the swingarm rocker arm, and the manual says that it can be done with the bike on the centre stand, but I cannot get access to the fore most bolt with a socket with the centre stand in place.

How can I support the bike, with the shock, and linkage, and the centre stand removed? The rear wheel is also off as it was getting a new tyre put on, but was thinking that it would be easier working with it removed anyway.

Its in a hut so no places strong enough to tie a rope and suspend the weight of the bike from the roof.

Cheers

Dave

ZX7R & ER6F
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kwaks
I'm not a fast rider

PostPosted: 18:28 - 26 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car jack with blocks of wood to spread the weight?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:38 - 26 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://img55.imageshack.us/img55/6604/b7xo.jpg

hmmmnz
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:43 - 26 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the gs i use a big hollow brick, with some bits of wood on the bottom of the engine, and suport it with some tie downs,

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:17 - 26 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Car axle stand under the bottom frame rails. This is how I needed to do it when I removed the suspension links from Charlottes GPZ500S.

All the best

Keith

DaveH
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:37 - 26 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the help guys, had been trying to dead lift the bike onto supports, but had to stand too near the back to allow easy placement of the supports. Well that was once I managed to pick it up off its belly... Embarassed

Its was Mr Everready's pic that provided the inspiration to just lever it up there by placing one end of the support; an old gpz900 fork leg...(old gpzs never die, they just help other ones.Wink) and using my trolley jack pole to provide the extra length and lift the bike up and shove the car ramp in place Very Happy

Not sure if the shock is knackered now as taking the back wheel off show a lot of play in the rocker arm at the shock mounting point and the frame. now that I have the rocker arm off, the thing was locked solid!! Shocked

Have got one from an 900 and they move fairly freely, its thinner than the 500 one, so am hoping to use it and pack the difference out with washers...or is that stupid?

Only problem is that the 500 shock wont fit the 900 rocker as the 500 shock mount is thinner.

Going to give the 900 shock a shot, but may need to do some work on the top shock mount.....unless I can get a servicable 500 rocker of ebay...

Piccies:

ZX7R & ER6F

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:14 - 26 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveHogg wrote:
Cheers for the help guys, had been trying to dead lift the bike onto supports, but had to stand too near the back to allow easy placement of the supports.

Advantage of axle stands. Bike on side stand, lean it over to the left (rocking on side stand, rear wheel in the air) and slide one axle stand under the right, then lean to the right on the axle stand and slide the other one under the left. Can do it on your own with little exertion.

DaveHogg wrote:
Not sure if the shock is knackered now as taking the back wheel off show a lot of play in the rocker arm at the shock mounting point and the frame. now that I have the rocker arm off, the thing was locked solid!! Shocked

The bushing consists of a steel tube with a couple of top hat shaped nylon spacers (from memory) in the joints. Loads of play even when new (brand new Kawasaki steel bush and nylon bush, you could see about a 0.5mm gap between them on one side if they were together on the other).

To be honest I would try and sort out the GPZ500 shock. Suspect the 900 one will cause loads of issues.

All the best

Keith

DaveH
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:26 - 26 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
The bushing consists of a steel tube with a couple of top hat shaped nylon spacers (from memory) in the joints. Loads of play even when new (brand new Kawasaki steel bush and nylon bush, you could see about a 0.5mm gap between them on one side if they were together on the other).

To be honest I would try and sort out the GPZ500 shock. Suspect the 900 one will cause loads of issues.

All the best

Keith
There was no movement at all in the bushings. With the 900 rocker arm, if i held the inner tube it would rotate and i could push it out quite easily. 500's was solid and the spacers needed hammered out.

Trying not to spend any more money on bikes at the moment; they appear to have other ideas though Rolling Eyes Had hoped that the 500 shock would fit the rocker arm, but no go. Been quoted £30 for the bushed and 'o' rings for the frame and shock mounts....unless the bushed from the 900 fit.....hmmm, identical diameter spacers

ZX7R & ER6F

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:38 - 26 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd. I've taken mine out several times with the bike on the stand. You must be doing it wrong. I even did it in at the side of the road once because my chain had snapped and I could only find an endless one.

Can't tell you exactly how because it's been several years since I did so but you can DEFINATELY take the swingarm and unitrak out with the bike on the mainstand.

DaveH
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 26 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Odd. I've taken mine out several times with the bike on the stand. You must be doing it wrong. I even did it in at the side of the road once because my chain had snapped and I could only find an endless one.

Can't tell you exactly how because it's been several years since I did so but you can DEFINATELY take the swingarm and unitrak out with the bike on the mainstand.
Was that with a socket or spanners?

Could not get the socket on because the part of the main stand that extends past the bolt and braces against the frame was preventing access. Then the bolt that was holding the rocker arm in had shoulder and was a struggle to get it past the mounting brackets for the main stand itself.

ZX7R & ER6F

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:03 - 27 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall requiring a long extension socket for the top one and two ring spanners for most of the rest.

You definately don't need to remove the one that holds the dogbones to the swingarm, I have a GPZ swingarm downstairs which was removed with the stand in place and the dogbones are still attached (frame went in a skip with the stand still on it).

I remember you had to take out some of the pins which allowed you to drop the swingarm to rest on the ground then rotate the casting into a more manageable position. Can't be all that hard, it wasn't something that had me scratching my head.

I think you might have needed to rotate the belly pan brackets forwards Thinking not really sure, it was a while ago.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 06:46 - 27 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Try cleaning up the existing bushes once you have hammered them out. Lengths of the linkage bit is rather important.

Problem I had taking the linkage out is the bolt that attaches the linkage to the frame is blocked by the centre stand when it is down. You could undo it with a spanner but no hope of removing it. I tried and had to go back and stick it up on axle stands. Rest of the linkage comes out OK, same for the rear shock.

All the best

Keith

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:03 - 27 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, all I can say is I've definately had the whole lot out on at least three occasions and didn't use any form of secondary stand.

DaveH
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:07 - 27 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Well, all I can say is I've definately had the whole lot out on at least three occasions and didn't use any form of secondary stand.
What model was it? I'm trying it on an A6.

ZX7R & ER6F

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:25 - 27 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe that's it. It was my D1 I was doing that on. There are differences in the swingarm.

DaveH
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 27 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

All back together, used a temporary bush made from my 'bottelneck'...there goes the slide guitar career. Not ideal, but will tide me over until the shop can order me a new one. Still to test ride to see if it the shock or the linkages that were seized, but need to re-rig my loobman.

Anyway took a couple of photos of the offending bolt:

Forgot to take one showing poor access with centre stand down. Rolling Eyes

ZX7R & ER6F
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 309 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1