Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Yearly MOT's on the way out?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 10:16 - 09 May 2007    Post subject: Yearly MOT's on the way out? Reply with quote

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/05/09/nmot09.xml

Quote:
The annual MOT test could be scrapped under proposals being considered by ministers.

Motorists could also be allowed to wait four years, rather than three before needing to have their car checked for the first time.

The Department for Transport will unveil proposals to bring Britain into line with the four year minimum required by the European Commission within the next few weeks.

Under the more relaxed regime, which is being examined by the DfT, follow up MOT tests would take place every other year. The proposed changes follow a review by Lord Davidson, who was called in by the Cabinet Office to examine how Britain implements EU legislation.

Britain's current regime, under which cars face their first MOT test after three years and annually after that, are among the strictest in Europe. The only exceptions are Latvia and Hungary, where new cars face a compulsory examination on being registered for use for the first time.

Around 22 million cars undergo annual MOT tests with about 30 per cent failing and 18 per cent failing to meet the required standard on the first inspection.

If tests were every other year, rather than annually, the saving in fees would reach £465 million a year.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:44 - 09 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not agree with this ludicrous decision.

That will mean the Government are 456 odd million out of pocket Razz

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 11:23 - 09 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, they'll soon claw it back off you somewhere else.

Anyway, I would've thought that the garages will be the main losers?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

FreshAL
Sir Crashalot

PostPosted: 12:40 - 09 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's utter utter madness.

Either

1) The test will have to get way stricter

or

2) There'll be dangerous rust heaps dropping parts everywhere.

I've always run cheap cars, and I know full well that without the MOT I probably would have carried on driving cars that probably weren't really safe. There's a limit to what black paint, cable ties and gaffa tape can do.

Either way, I don't like the sound of it.

LeeR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 09 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I disagree also, I read about this awhile ago and it's all based in bringing the EU to a level playing field on all issues. This particular one is in my opinion a step backwards. I disagree with Britain once again having to compromise on a serious issue like this. Also I find it unfair that the bike test had to change to meet EU standards, so why can't the EU MOT change to meet the higher standards of Britain, Latvia, and Hungary. Then as a "third way" we could always adopt the USA method of allowing member states to set their own laws so long as they at least reach the federal standard. Rolling Eyes

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:25 - 09 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreshAL wrote:
There's a limit to what black paint, cable ties and gaffa tape can do.

I disagree. You just aren't using enough gaffa tape.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:28 - 09 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the government thinks that due to modern car safety being improved the old rules need to be adjusted.

MOTs cost will simply double. Evil or Very Mad

Pikies will continue to run bangers on fumes and gaffa tape.

We should not really need to be told what is safe on our vehicles.
We should keep them maintained to a safe standard.

If your car can't pass an MOT then then it should be repaired.
Not a difficult thing.

It is good that we do not have the stupid hassle of MOTing most vehicles that will not deteriorate significantly from new till at least six years.
Provided they are maintained properly.

Even though you do not need the MOT every year the police can still make you have one if the vehicle is found 'wanting'.
Nothing new there.

My 4 wheeler recently failed on brakes. Embarassed
It had just came from the dealer where it had been 'fixed' after I heard the noise.
They never fixed it right. (A/holes)
Anyway, I ended up fixing it myself (Wire-Brush and Detol)
Just to pass the MOT.

My car and my bike require min. maint. Ins. and Tax get sent to me when they run out MOT is a cnut to remember. It's now on central computer so why not do a reminder on that too. E-mail it then if the stamp is a problem.

gilera172
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:40 - 10 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont know wheatheri agree to having a mot every 2 years as i like to feel safe on my bike not wondering if i have to check it everyday

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:52 - 10 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this mean france and germany are changing too?

The french have no MOT system, whilst the German system is MUCH stricter than our own MOT.

Cigaro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:55 - 10 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big_Ham wrote:

The french have no MOT system

They do, although it's not very strict (if you saw the standard of some of the vehicles on the road in France it's a wonder there aren't more crashes!)

Having said that, I know a guy in the South of France up in the hills who's got away without insurance, MOT and a license all his life - he has an agreement with the police now as they're tired of the paperwork everytime they stop him!

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 22:22 - 10 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

This scares me.

Some of the heaps that I see now are shocking, if they were left for another yeah the would be real deathtraps (like the 8500 mile old Daytona I checked today, rear pads down to the metal and buggering the disc and shock linkage seized stiff). Far too many people treat the MOT as a service, and only fix things that need to be done for the test.

JGY6000
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:59 - 10 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the MOT was anything like the ITV they do in spain then we would have half the amount cars on the road!

DrJustice
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:17 - 11 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:
I do not agree with this ludicrous decision.

That will mean the Government are 456 odd million out of pocket Razz

Only £1.44 goes to running the scheme the rest the garage gets for doing the mot !
So the next time your garage says "the goverment have put the fee up " ,what they really mean is "the goverment have raised the maxium limit that we are allowed to rip you off for " .

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:09 - 24 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I think the MOT is a good idea.

I want it to pass, because the bike/car is safe.

If somethings wrong, like when the rear drum on my ER5
had gone oval. I was glad to know.

This last time, my ER sailed through, which I was glad, because
it showed I looked after it and fixed any problems when they happend.

The rectifier going 2 days before the MOT was funny though.

dabigginger
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:41 - 26 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with everyone else here. McJamweasel is right... too many people treat it as a service. I've seen some people with pages and pages of fail sheets with all kinds of things wrong that anyone should check and be able to notice (lights out, brakes that just don't work, knackered bushes etc. etc.) after just a year. Imagine how long these fail sheets will be after 2 years?

In fact, I think MOT's should really be done every year, or every 10,000 miles, whichever is sooner.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:06 - 26 May 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Personally I think the test could go to 2 yearly (only about 20 years ago it was 2 yearly in NI, and only then on 7+ year old vehicles).

Yes there are people running round with non working lights. They are doing so now. Just pull them over and tell them.

All the best

Keith

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 02 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The misconception here is that an MOT pass = a safe car. It doesn't.

Take this from the UKMOT site.

Quote:
It is possible for items to pass the MOT inspection and yet still be regarded as past their service life at a routine service.

The MOT is a pretty small inspection, for example a pre delivery inspection could be 120 points, an MOT is far less.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 335 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1