Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Speed traps the Fuzz ect

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

retrofly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 16 Feb 2002    Post subject: Speed traps the Fuzz ect Reply with quote

Hi
Thought id just open up a descussion on the police and speed traps. I live quite near guildford amd i must be really lucky as i hardly ever see cameras and theres hardley a cop car in site. I hear lots of people complaining about speed traps ect especially in the mags, so give me your view and experiences

Luke
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 16:35 - 16 Feb 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that speed traps and cops do serve their purpose, and as much as I love to go fast, I have to admit that I would like to be given a reason to slow down now and again...

But the thing is - ok, so you see a trap/cop, so you slow down, but the moment you pass them your foot/hand is right back on the pedal/throttle (delete where appropriate - sorry for the references to driving, but I have only just started an interest in biking)...so it's all pretty pointless anyway!...

...what do people think about getting devices such as the Geodessey?...is it really worth it?

So the bottom line is: Nice idea and generally good for keeping people alert, but until more sophisticated and restricting technology is introduced, we are still gonna get away with speeding (which is a good thing!)

Just my opinion...

Tin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

PostPosted: 18:32 - 16 Feb 2002    Post subject: open rds Reply with quote

on the open roads there should be NO speed traps or feds around!!!

in town cameras are useful as they remind u to slow down!
You must be logged in to rate posts

TJ NSR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:34 - 16 Feb 2002    Post subject: Anonymous posting Reply with quote

it was me tat posted tat btw

TJ NSR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:34 - 16 Feb 2002    Post subject: log out Reply with quote

y does it always log out afta a while???

TJ NSR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:35 - 16 Feb 2002    Post subject: anoy Reply with quote

its well annoying

when do i move up a level?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:24 - 16 Feb 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

tin wrote:

I think that speed traps and cops do serve their purpose, and as much as I love to go fast, I have to admit that I would like to be given a reason to slow down now and again...

But the thing is - ok, so you see a trap/cop, so you slow down, but the moment you pass them your foot/hand is right back on the pedal/throttle (delete where appropriate - sorry for the references to driving, but I have only just started an interest in biking)...so it's all pretty pointless anyway!...

They are now into using laser traps. These have a range of about 1km, so they can hide well out of sight and nab you. Oh, and you have no chance of proving your inocence in court. I know of someone done for speeding on a bike despite the fact the copper said in court that he was sure it was that rider because of the twin headlights on the bike, but the bike only had a single headlight!

tin wrote:
...what do people think about getting devices such as the Geodessey?...is it really worth it?

So the bottom line is: Nice idea and generally good for keeping people alert, but until more sophisticated and restricting technology is introduced, we are still gonna get away with speeding (which is a good thing!)

Come to Staffordshire and you will change you mind. Go to Northamptonshire and you will probably loose your licience and need to get the train home!

Staffordshire got rid of its traffic police in January 2001. They have now joined the pyramid financing scheme of cameras, with a target of going from 250ish tickets a month to 2000 a month by October last year and 4000 a month by the coming April. Strange thing is that in 2001 compared to 2000 they had a 30% increase in road deaths.

Many of the counties that have gone mad with cameras have had a large increase. Northamptonshire claimed a large reduction in deaths. Funny how they compared the previous year which was unusually high, and the reduction merely coincided with the return of the deaths total to the average for the previous 5 years!.

To see how you are being ripped off, have a look at www.abd.org.uk

All the best

Keith
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Marius jo

PostPosted: 20:30 - 16 Feb 2002    Post subject: im so not lucky with the cop`s Reply with quote

I live in norway and had my lisence in 6 month.. alredy i have been puled aside 3 times.. i have paid 8000 norwegian krones.. about 1000 us $.. dont no how much it is in pund.. i no its my foult but its hard to drive
slow.. i love to drive fast in curves and so on..
ps. sorry for my bad eng..! Smile

Marius Johansen Confused
You must be logged in to rate posts

Dan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:28 - 16 Feb 2002    Post subject: :) Reply with quote

SI hate speed traps, been busted 3 times, got away with it twice, other tme i only had to pay £25 which ant to bad. but they still get in the way of a good ride.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

retrofly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:05 - 17 Feb 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
For some of you it sounds like a pain in the arse i think someone should go round spraypainting all the camera lenses at night.

Luke
Springbok_Tony This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 21:17 - 18 Feb 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

The police in Shropshire have had a fantastic idea. One of my colleagues got caught by a new type of speed trap recently.

It basically involves a trigger cable which is laid across teh road (not unlike the ones used for simple traffic monitoring), this is linked to a device which looks like a small grey box (you can hardly tell they're there). When you go over the trigger, it starts a timer in the grey box, when you go past the grey box it's got a laser beam (or something, not quite sure what) which stops the timer when it's broken. The speed is displayed to the waiting policeman who promtly records the number plate. Very sly. Of course, because they have to be visible these days they make themselves perfectly obvious to traffic travelling in the opposite direction.

Phil.S
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:02 - 19 Feb 2002    Post subject: Camera's Reply with quote

i am sure i read somewhere that they are going to be painting Gatso's
brite yellow, because the grey stealth color was causing MORE accidents
as people slam on their anchors when they notice them at the last minute.
i personally think in towns and populated area's camera's are a good thing.
But on open roads with no one around for miles, they shouldn't have any.
as for cops with speed guns i thought they couldn't do you if they get you
from the front as there isnt a number plate.?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:32 - 19 Feb 2002    Post subject: Camera's Reply with quote

IMHO if you don't see a police trap that *is obvious* then you probably deserve to get caught... that could've been a kid about to run into the road. Hidden speed traps are obviously more about revenue generation that accident prevention.

I was wondering about the legality of painting GASTOs day-glo colours, the police probably couldn't do much about it as they are *supposed* to be for accident prevention... If you wanted to be really cheeky you could try welding a sign onto it with a big arrow and 'gatso' written on it*

Phil
Some of the GATSOs along the M25 are yellow. I think all forces that get to keep money from GATSOs will have to paint them yellow. Saw a black-painted GATSO hidden behind a tree in Colchester, some of the ones around Reading are pretty bad a swell: hidden behind walls/in trees.

* obviously there's loads of other things that you can do that are 'the other side of the law'.

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 13:13 - 19 Feb 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody once painted...

Out!
Watch

Trap!
Speed

(read it bottom to top)

...across one of the lanes of a dual carrigeway, just off the A23 - a really nice stretch, where cars and bikes give it maxium beans all the way - which I though was kind. If it was a mobile speed trap it had buggered off by the time I got there, but still a nice thing to do.

Annabella

PostPosted: 21:06 - 19 Feb 2002    Post subject: Yellow! Reply with quote

In my area Staffs/Shropshire the Police have made it their policy to put flourescent strips on all the speed cameras in the area. As a result when you're travelling at night it's virtually impossible to see any thing BUT the approaching speed camera.

I dont't know if riders ion your areas do the same, but if there are police about (especially the Bridgnorth-Wolverhamoton road - a fantastiv ride if youre ever in the area - but be warned it's got the highest fatality of bikers too) we slow down and wave our arms at any other bikers just as a warning.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:28 - 19 Feb 2002    Post subject: Yellow! Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:

I dont't know if riders ion your areas do the same, but if there are police we slow down and wave our arms at any other bikers just as a warning.

Wave your amrs how?
I've always thought there should be a fairly universal warning for police...
A few years ago in my 'naughtier days' a trucker game me a thumbs up as I was comming into a village on my KLR (only passed my test last year, go figure). I slowed down to the speed limit and about 100meters into the village there was a bike cop hiding behind a house, it pulled out and followed me so I had to take a back road home. I'm pretty sure I'd've been busted if it weren't for the trucker.

Viper
Get off my bloody bike!

PostPosted: 12:03 - 20 Feb 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be wrong, but i am sure there is like a "wave/thumbs-up" sort of sign that people use.

I remember my Dad using it once when i was an little kiddie.

I not too sure what it is though!?!?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:40 - 20 Feb 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've allways understood thumbs up to be a warning... but it's pretty ambiquous and could mean a load of different things... would have thought thumbs down would be more appropriate Smile

Annabella

PostPosted: 19:12 - 20 Feb 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, if you ever did your cycling proficiency test (years and years ago...) you'd've learnt to flap your right arm (like a bird! Whheee!) to indicate slowing down, that's what I've seen most people doing, but when you're in the car some people flash headlights and others do a thumbs up. I dunno..... Perhaps there should be a universal sign, though I'm sure it's actually illegal to warn people of an oncoming speed trap/police presance etc.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:31 - 20 Feb 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

It is illegal, and if they get really nasty they could try and do you for attempting to pervert the course of justice. They dont like people hitting their profit margins

All the best

Keith

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 22:37 - 20 Feb 2002    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

yep it is very illegal, as for a universal sighn, in and around southampton (mostly new forest) the sighn ig rapidly flashing headlights.

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 12:36 - 21 Feb 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most popular ones I've seen are waving your right arm up and down, or spin your finger above your helmet (like a rotating blue light). Also there's the one where you open and close your hand like a duck's bill twice (to indicate a gatso flash) but not many people use it because it's a bit hard to make out.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 70 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1