Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Nottinghamshire County Council effectively bans Rideouts.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 10:46 - 05 Jul 2007    Post subject: Nottinghamshire County Council effectively bans Rideouts. Reply with quote

This was obviously brought into place to precent Barrys and cruisers from baing a pain in the ass, but the typically ill-thought-out council reaction has further reaching consequesnces than I'm sure thery considered, not least Rideouts.

https://www.thenewspaper.com/news/18/1828.asp

Quote:
UK County Bans Automotive Enthusiast Gatherings
Nottinghamshire, UK issues the first-ever countywide ban on gatherings of automotive enthusiasts.

Lotus enthusiast gatheringAround the world, owners of individual car makes from lowliest economy models to the most exotic Ferraris and Lamborghinis regularly get together to share experiences and sometimes take brief drives in the countryside. Doing so anywhere in Nottinghamshire, UK is now an offense that carries two years imprisonment and a large fine following the issuance of a Nottingham County Court order earlier this month.

"There is a small element of 'cruisers' who do actually just want to show off their cars to others," Nottinghamshire Police Sergeant James Oliver said. "But this unfortunately has been ruined by the majority who have plagued our town with their poor driving standards and excessive noise. I hope this injunction will help us deliver our promise to those affected that we would tackle this problem."

Located in the East Midlands region, Nottinghamshire has about one million residents. The order is the first to apply to an entire county and prohibits "five or more motor vehicles from congregating together, driving in convoy or racing each other on the highway." It remains in effect until June 2009. Nottingham City imposed a less restrictive ban in October 2006.

Police plan to monitor closed-circuit TV cameras to ensure no gatherings occur. On June 13, county spy cameras spotted three teenagers enjoying themselves in Sidings by taking turns riding a motorbike. Police called to the scene found that although the owner was insured, the two other teens who took brief rides were not. Police seized the vehicle and demanded payment of £200 (US $400) for its return. Officers also issued a £80 (US $160) fine to the owner for using "abusive language."

On June 15, police seized and crushed a motor scooter belonging to a teenager who had been riding in Broxtowe Country Park.

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 12:09 - 05 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing some more digging on this, and the bill specifies "cruises".

A friend has contacted Notts Police on behalf of a car club and has been told it won't affect organised club events, but will be used only to target Chav Barry and his mates in their corsas and novas

a

powelly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:09 - 05 Jul 2007    Post subject: Re: Nottinghamshire County Council effectively bans Rideouts Reply with quote

Quote:
"five or more motor vehicles from congregating together, driving in convoy or racing each other on the highway."

does this mean they have just banned car parks and funeral processions?

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 12:13 - 05 Jul 2007    Post subject: Re: Nottinghamshire County Council effectively bans Rideouts Reply with quote

powelly wrote:
Quote:
"five or more motor vehicles from congregating together, driving in convoy or racing each other on the highway."

does this mean they have just banned car parks and funeral processions?

Read my reply..

the bill specifies "cruises"

Also, the carpark or traffic jam is a non-issue, as there is no "intent" to being in 'convoy' it's a circumstance.

a

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 12:19 - 05 Jul 2007    Post subject: Re: Nottinghamshire County Council effectively bans Rideouts Reply with quote

feef wrote:
powelly wrote:
...does this mean they have just banned car parks and funeral processions?
...the bill specifies "cruises"...

Shame on you.
Letting the facts get in the way of a news story.
You'll never pass out of journalism school with an attitude like that Wink

...actually story has been doing the rounds for some time. Reactions range from your "it'll be ok, it's not for the likes of you and me" to "this is the thin end of the wedge, police state, etc."

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Squibbs
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:37 - 05 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

and the legal definition of a cruise is... ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

froggeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:39 - 05 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was still around I would be organising a 'cruise' to Nottingham.

This is bollocks. Also a county council cannot impose a law like this anyway... 2 years in jail? On what 'legal' grounds?

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 23:56 - 05 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the bill...

decide for yourselves.

Quote:
IN THE NOTTINGHAM COUNTY COURT
BETWEEN

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL
Claimant and
ALL PERSONS INJUNCTION ORDER
IF YOU HAVE BEEN SERVED WITH A COPY OF THIS ORDER AND YOU DO NOT OBEY IT
YOU WILL BE GUILTY OF CONTEMPT OF COURT AND YOU MAY BE SENT TO PRISON

On the 14th day of June 2007 the Court considered an application for an
injunction.

The Court ordered that:

1 All persons are forbidden from participating in a car cruise within
the County of Nottinghamshire. This order applies to persons who have
been served with a copy of it.

2 Any person served with a copy of the order has permission to apply to
the Court to vary or discharge it.

3 The provisions of Schedule 1 to this order shall apply.

4 The expressions "car cruise", "participating in a car cruise" and
"County of Nottinghamshire" have the meanings set out in Schedule to
this Order.

5 These orders shall remain in force until 5:00 p.m. on 14thJune 2009.
If you do not fully understand this order you should go to a solicitor,
legal Advice Centre or a Citizens' Advice Bureau.

Schedule 1

The requirements referred to in paragraph 1 are as follows:

1 Service of this Order shall be effected by an officer of the
Nottinghamshire Police Service, who shall record the name and
address of the person upon whom the order is served and shall
communicate the same together with the time and date of service to
the Claimant.

2 At the same time that this order is served, the person served shall be
given an explanatory notice in the form attached to this Schedule.

3 The Claimant shall serve a copy of the application for an injunction
herein, together with the statements in support upon any person
served in accordance with the provisions of this Schedule. Such
service shall be effected by first class post, no later than 7 days
after service of the Order. The Claimant shall not be required to served
copies of the DVD evidence relied on.

4 The Claimant shall notify the Court that service of this Order, the
application for an injunction and the statements in support has taken
place, the name and address of the person served and the time and
date of service of the Order.

5 The Court will then consider by a Circuit Judge whether to add the
person served to the proceedings as a named Defendant and whether
to make any further order.

-

EXPLANATORY NOTICE

You have been served with an injunction.
If you take part in a car cruise anywhere within the County of
Nottinghamshire, you will be in contempt of court and you may be sent to
prison.

You will receive additional information by post within the next week.

Schedule 2

(a) A car cruise is an event at which the drivers and passengers of 5 or
more motor vehicles congregate together or drive in convoy or race each
other upon the highway, so as by their conduct to make excessive noise,
cause danger to other road users or risk of injury to any person or risk
of damage to property.

(b) Participating in a car cruise refers to drivers of vehicles or their
passengers conducting themselves as described in paragraph (a).

(c) The County of Nottinghamshire is the area outlined in black on the
plan attached to this Schedule but does not include the City of
Nottingham where separate provisions apply."

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:39 - 06 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its legally ambiguous because it could be argued that the intent of a cruise is not to cause harm to persons or property.

A good lawyer would get it booted out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ryder_bandit
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:39 - 12 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

does this only apply to car cruises then?doesnt mention bikes at all

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 12 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why they have to make a law regarding it I'm not entirely sure as there is ample provision under CJA

Playing music with a repetative beat in the public area for one, not to mention gatherings of more than 5 people and all the other bullshit thats hidden in it.

Would be nice if they stopped making more laws we don't need and concentrated on enforcing the ones we already have.

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S

rblanch
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:23 - 13 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this not just another form of ASBO, the key factor for me is it has to be issued to you to apply, so aslong as we are riding within the realms of what is sensible around towns etc, i would be amazed if it ever hit normal riders.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

gypsyjackson
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:10 - 16 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Its legally ambiguous because it could be argued that the intent of a cruise is not to cause harm to persons or property.

A good lawyer would get it booted out.

I'm not certain, but I think the use of 'so as by their conduct' means they don't have to intend to be noisy, dangerous or risky, they just have to act in such a way they are perceived to be.

Quote:
so as by their conduct to make excessive noise, cause danger to other road users or risk of injury to any person or risk of damage to property.

JAMSXR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:02 - 17 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a load of bullshit! Lets sell our cars and bikes stay at home and spend all our money on crack cocaine! To be honest i don't like chav cruses but i would rather they spent their time modifying their cars then hanging out in the street's drinking cider!
Honda SFX50 > Aprilia SR125 > Aprilia RS125 > Honda RFV400 > K4 GSXR600 > KTM Duke > C1H 636 > K3 GSXR1000 > Aprilia RSV-R > Triumph Street Triple R > Ducati 899 Panigale > Aprilia Tuono 1100 > Triumph Daytona 675R > KTM SuperDuke 1290 2.0

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:10 - 17 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

theres a similar rule somewhere else, when 3+ bikes cannot ride together lest one of them is defined as the leader, elseit maybe considered racing,

consideirng I've been on tons of ride outs with no designated leader, how will they be able to tell you are on a ride out rather than just a random group of bikers who just got bunched up? ,
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

akaDAVE
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:43 - 18 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(a) A car cruise is an event at which the drivers and passengers of 5 or
more motor vehicles congregate together or drive in convoy or race each
other upon the highway, so as by their conduct to make excessive noise,
cause danger to other road users or risk of injury to any person or risk
of damage to property.

How utterly bonkers.

By this vague definition, these 'events' happen every few seconds on the M25 or any other road where cars come within so many metres of each other.

So they are 'banning' the act of racing at excessive speeds with illegally loud exhausts? Isn't that already banned.

Why don't they have the balls to say we're leaving it to the descretion of the police to discriminate against any young drivers with modified cars to break up any gathering they have.

I myself take the piss out of the odd modified car but I see it as a good thing that young people can have an interest and are in to cars. It's been going on for generations.

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:01 - 18 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because if they ae seen to be "doing something" then maybe they won't get voted out of their nice comfortable jobs...

Or something like that - can you tell I used to work for the Chief Executives Office at NCC?

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 288 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1