Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


NSR started, then died, then never started

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

G-force
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 13 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:47 - 03 Aug 2007    Post subject: NSR started, then died, then never started Reply with quote

Having the infamous nsr non-starting problem at the moment. I went for a lil ride and I stopped for a bit. When I wanted to start it again to come back, it wasn't starting, wasnt even turning over. I could hear a small buzzing sound when I was pushing the ignition switch. The lights on the dash were pretty much dim and then faded away after a few attempts at the ignition button.

Started it up again this morning, and it started fine. I leave it for 5 mins to warm up and then it just went off after a bit whilst stationary. Then, it wasn't starting up again making the same light buzzing noise until it wasn't responding at all.

I then connected it up with my car for a jump start. The dash lights became solid and it eventually started after a couple of tries. But once again it cut out itself and wasnt starting again.

I'm thinking this is probably the battery. But what do you guys think?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

nick606
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:10 - 03 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

same as you really

test it with a multi meter if you can get hold of one
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jamie S
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:15 - 03 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like the battery , when was it last charged ?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ichy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:19 - 03 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its worth cleaning the battery terminals and connectors first, making sure the bolts are nice and tight when you fasten the cables back on.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G-force
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 13 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:44 - 03 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

It hasnt been charged at all really. If it is the battery, could I make it come back to life by charging it?

I've just done some searching on the forums and found the optimate 3 charger to be well worth getting. But this is around £35, and im thinkin I could get a new battery for this much??

I dont have a multimeter either, unfortunately.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ichy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:15 - 03 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, its worth charging.

I use a oximiser(sp?). Cost me about £19 two years ago and works fine. Its worth investing in a charger rather than replacing the battery every time it goes flat
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G-force
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 13 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:45 - 03 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I have the bike for sale and I didn't want the new owner to end up with a bike with a battery that needs charging all the time.

Is the charge required to be done every night then?? That would be a bit annoying wouldn't it. Or after one charge, the battery goes on again for some time?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ichy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:48 - 03 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming your charging circuit is working correctly the battery should only need charging when the bike hasn't been used for a bit of time.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

alains
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:14 - 04 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it's more a loose contact on the positive main line (red wire) check it from + battery to starter relay , then from starter relay to key switch . see the wiring diagram
____________________
the worst day fishing is better than the best day working
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G-force
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 13 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:45 - 04 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ichy wrote:
Assuming your charging circuit is working correctly the battery should only need charging when the bike hasn't been used for a bit of time.


But I have been using my bike like once or twice a week and hasnt had this problem so wouldnt be a case of it not being used for a bit of time.

alains wrote:
i think it's more a loose contact on the positive main line (red wire) check it from + battery to starter relay , then from starter relay to key switch . see the wiring diagram


I will take a look at this now. I think im gonna buy a multimeter. Would this help with my situation? Or eliminate one possibility for the problem?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jamie S
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:53 - 04 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

G-force wrote:


But I have been using my bike like once or twice a week and hasnt had this problem so wouldnt be a case of it not being used for a bit of time.


Were they small journeys ??

G-force wrote:
I think im gonna buy a multimeter. Would this help with my situation? Or eliminate one possibility for the problem?


Not if you don't know how to use one. Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G-force
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 13 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:21 - 04 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Were they small journeys ??


Yes they have been small journeys. No more than 5 miles or so. I managed to bump start it and after that it worked fine. I went on a 17 mile round trip to get my hands on a multimeter.

Now I gotta figure out how to use the multimeter. I have not checked the wires yet for any loose connections.

What kind of readings should I expect from the multimeter? What should it not be under?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

truslack
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:07 - 04 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well what's the reading from the battery?
____________________
Current: Suzuki RG 125 Gamma, Honda H100, Triumph Tiger 800XC, Suzuki SV650 (minitwin)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

alains
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:25 - 04 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

do an easy test . on your starter relay you've got 4 wires unplug red and red/white , now make contact between these 2 wires , if your starter does not work put your multimeter on 0-20Volts DC (or over if you have not this state) check voltage between red and ground battery . then a red wire run from the battery to the key lock , a black goes out . as show the wiring diagram you've got a connector under the key , most of bugs come from here . +12V direct is always the red , ground always the green . +12V going after the key lock is always black . so if you want to check a black , key must be on
____________________
the worst day fishing is better than the best day working
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 65 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.35 - MySQL Queries: 16 - Page Size: 83.62 Kb