Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

road bike (bicycle) recommendations

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 12:03 - 08 Aug 2007    Post subject: road bike (bicycle) recommendations Reply with quote

I've recently started cycling into work, 16 miles each way.

I'm riding my Kona Caldera mountain bike which I built up from a frameset and sourcing all the components myself. In it's road-trim (as it is now) it's about as ligh as a cheap road bike.

I Do like the riding position, but wonder if a road-bike would be more practical for the cycle into work. Riding that distance, I cycle like it's a time-trial and just dont stop for a breather, or even free-wheel much.

The bike is a 17" caldera frame, with a straight-thru (not lay-back) seat-post, which puts me much more over the bottom bracket than most people like. My stem choice also means I'm quite forward on the bike.

I've tried out a couple of road bikes, but find them too long and stretched out for what I'm used to.

I don't want to convert my mountain bike any further, as I do still use it off-road, and it's easy to swap wheels, compares to starting to play with different bars and the like.

I'm wondering if a tri-athlong bike would be suitable. Looking at them, they seem to have a shorter top-tube, have the saddle more over the bottom bracket, as I have, and are slightly more upright in riding position, once you have your arms in the tri-bar for streamlining.

Would getting a tri-bike be a step too far for someone who is new to road-bikes?

how does the frame sizing compare? I'm normally a 18" mtb frame (32" or 33" inside leg)? so what6 size of road-frame would I be looking at. Obviously, I'll be trying sizes before I chose, but it'd be nice to at least start asking for a frame that's around the correct size.

oh.. and I don't want to spend more than a grand. I would like a decent frame-set, that would let me upgrade the components in time.

tia

a

Cillit-BANG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 08 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd certainly avoid tri-bars for day to day riding. It's far too extreme and for commuting you need to be in full control for cars etc. Plus, it's not the sort of bike you can really 'enjoy' so weekend/evening pleasure rides would be few and far between.

I too used to have have an 'urbanized' Kona for commuting, single speed 46-16T, 1.3" tyres. I also had a snazzy sub 18lb Spesh road bike and to be honest the Kona was the better commuter and was only fractionally slower.

Out of interest have you considered a cyclocross bike? They too make great aggressive commuter bikes.

Try to go to a shop with a decent reputation and a member of staff that actually rides road bikes. Mountain bike shops selling road bikes are often lacking in the experience required to properly size a road bike.

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 00:51 - 09 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cillit-BANG wrote:
I'd certainly avoid tri-bars for day to day riding. It's far too extreme and for commuting you need to be in full control for cars etc. Plus, it's not the sort of bike you can really 'enjoy' so weekend/evening pleasure rides would be few and far between.

I do very little in the way of pleasure riding, it's training for me, if I want to go for a pleasure-ride, I'll use the MTB. With the exception of the first few miles, it's all dedicated and straight cycle-path or deserted road, as the main-road now runs on a dual-carriageway bypass. until I get into town, I could count on one hand how many cars will pass me. I've only got couple of miles in town, and again, it's all cycle-path.

Living in and around Cambridge is great if you cycle Very Happy

You say the tri-bike is too extreme, but as I said.. I find a regular road-bike too long and flat for me, and with not enough weight set forward for what I'm used to in terms of geometry.

a

niceguyeduard...
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:06 - 09 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tri bike is really not for commuting, i've never seen anyone on a tri bike commuting. The main problem with tri bikes is you just don't get the same control over the bike, i.e if in the aero posistion and need to come to a quick stop.

I understand what your saying with regards to wanting to hammer it all the way. Road bikes come in many guises. You want to look at racing style bikes, the ones with sloping geometry will be particularly short, and not be much if any longer to tri bikes. On the other hand there are touring road bikes which are longer, designed more for comfort and longer rides.

You must be thinking on spending a bit then as tri bikes don't come cheap!

Hang down on the sloping bars on a racing style bike will be more than enough for your 16 mile ride, you should find it much quicker than the mtb, especially if you use the clipless pedals.

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 14:56 - 09 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

niceguyeduardo wrote:
You want to look at racing style bikes, the ones with sloping geometry will be particularly short, and not be much if any longer to tri bikes. On the other hand there are touring road bikes which are longer, designed more for comfort and longer rides.

Cool.. got any suggestions for models I can check out?

Quote:
You must be thinking on spending a bit then as tri bikes don't come cheap!

I was orginally thinking about a grand.. as I was wanting a decent frame on which to build, but in having a look about, and bearing in mind my MTB is a custom build with XT and XTR kit on it, I'm looking to get something that's of a similar level of equipmet, so might stretch to £1500

Quote:
Hang down on the sloping bars on a racing style bike will be more than enough for your 16 mile ride, you should find it much quicker than the mtb, especially if you use the clipless pedals.

I already use spuds.. have done for years.. they make more of a difference than people realise Smile

a

Duckyboos
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:46 - 09 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst we're on the subject... why not get a tax-free bike?

https://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/

The other-half is picking up a £865 Marin shortly. If you can get your employer to sign up to the scheme, they can purchase the bike (from selected retailers, and costing up to £1,000 max) and claim back the VAT. THEN they 'loan' it to you for a period of, say, 12 or 18 months, and then 'sell' it to you (if you choose) for a nominal sum (just for the sake of the books) which is suggested to be about 5% of the original price. Your monthly repayments are also at source, so you're not taxed on them, AND your employer doesn't pay tax or NI on these repayments either. All in all, you can save around 40-50% off the original cost.

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 19:31 - 09 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been trying to get my work on that scheme since November without any luck Sad

Duckyboos
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:44 - 09 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

maurice wrote:
Been trying to get my work on that scheme since November without any luck Sad

No luck for me either... but I work for a greedy law firm where everyone ('cept me!) rolls into work every day in hi-spec cars (saw a 350z in the car park today) so eco-friendliness ain't exactly high on the agenda!

The OH's firm are trying to get 'green' and he sent an email round to everyone about it first... he figured the more people who thought it was a good idea, the more chance of them signing up.

P'haps if you offered to keep the repayment period to a minimum..? Then they wouldn't be out of pocket for so long... p'haps...

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 03:14 - 10 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you are considering a triathlon bike with tri-bars as a road bike stretches you out too much? Neutral

Moving on from that slight contradiction perhaps consider getting a single speed bike. Most manufacturers now have road bikes with sloping top tubes as that's what the racers now prefer as well.

500 quid will get you a nice Specialized Allez or similar entry level road bike which will be far beyond 90% of the populations capabilities.

If you want to be flash and are comfortable on it then get a Focus Cayo. German carbon frames (frames laid up in Taiwan like most these days) with very good group sets.

As to frame sizing, I wouldn't bother going by it as all manufacturers come up differently. Also consider getting a longer fork stem to raise the bars if you want.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:12 - 10 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking to get one of these in a few days instead of car insurance for my commute to work.

https://shop.devercycles.co.uk/images/prod_2035.jpg

It's a specialize Langster, £400, ideal for me, but way short of your budget. It's an alloy framed one, you should be able to get a mainly carbon one for your money.

niceguyeduard...
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:00 - 10 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you have a budget to start getting into the quality stuff, especially if you gonna do it up a bit. Are you just buying a frame and wheel set then adding to it?

Personally if your going to be spending that much on anything make sure it looks pretty. My personal opinion is for the Italian stables of: Pinarello, Bianchi, Derosa, and also Orbea (not Italian) do some good stuff. Pinarello and Derosa you may be able to get their entry bikes, still decent for your money, Bianchi and Orbea do good bikes well below your price range so you could pick up one of their decent bikes.

Loads of other bikes on the market though (willier, Colnago and those USA makes which names slip my mind!!), so have a look at some propper road bike shops and flick through some mags to get more of an idea which ones you like the look of and which one suit your required fit.

Keep us updated what you get. What's your avg speed then for your 16 mile commute?

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 16:02 - 10 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

niceguyeduardo wrote:
Keep us updated what you get. What's your avg speed then for your 16 mile commute?

so far.. I can do the 16 miles in under an hour, but I've not timed it down to the minute yet.

a

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 20:51 - 11 Aug 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

racers 500-1000 near cambridge
https://listings.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsocmdZListingItemList?sofocus=pf&sbrftog=1&catref=C3&from=R2&socmd=ListingItemList&satitle=&sacat=33503%26catref%3DC6&a30481=-24&a41077=41130&a41078=-24&a30272=-24&a10719=-24&a14=-24&alist=a30481%2Ca41077%2Ca41078%2Ca30272%2Ca14%2Ca10719%2Ca10244%2Ca3801%2Ca30300&pfmode=1&reqtype=2&gcs=1817&pfid=3023&pf_query=&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D3&fspt=1&sadis=50&fpos=cb1+2lt&sabfmts=1&saobfmts=insif&ga10244=10425&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&price=1&saprclo=500&saprchi=1000&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 234 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1