Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Auctioning The R6

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 02:16 - 03 Nov 2003    Post subject: Auctioning The R6 Reply with quote

just a few questions before i move on putting the bike on ebay...

the claims solicitors have said, im free to do with the salvage what i wish....salvage value £232 they have said however they will want to see a receipt of sale with a signature from the buyer?

why??! the only reason i can see is so they can say "ah you sold that for 1232, thats 1 thousand over the salvage value, therefore, you are happy, and thats 1 thousand less we have to claim for yourself, and 1000 more of your claim that we can hold on to without telling you"

am i reading too deep? those with experience may be able to enlighten me Confused whereas that logic isnt too bad, im out (like any human who works for a living) to get as much as i can, as the accident has caused me more problems then i realised at first, and i dont intend to sit back and say "whatever i get is fine" cos its not, and to be honest i dont see what business of theirs it is, if in fact, the salvage belongs to me anyway...

and about the auction description, obviously it will have to be reasonable detailed. but i dont want to have to describe all the damage....mainly because i dont have the vocabulary of bikes to do so anyway

...so what kind of description would you write (those who have seen my bike) and would you recommend that whoever is interested in buying it, comes to see first, as this might prevent being messed around by people agreeing to pay then changing their mind upon seeing it

any thoughts would be much appreciated, thanks Smile
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

Dusty
King of the Rim

PostPosted: 03:46 - 03 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at a loss as far as the receipt goes, can't imagine why they would want a copy of it. Confused

If you want me to sign a receipt saying I bought it for £300, I'd be quite happy to do so.

I don't think they would reasonably be able to give you less money just because you sold it for more than it's salvage value. What they valued the bike at and the fact that you bought it back shouldn't afaik be related in any way to your claim.

For the description I would try to be fairly honest, but to save writing pages covering every detail, you could take 10 or more photos of the bike so that people can see exactly what they are bidding on. I'm sure if the bidders wish to know more, or if they are interested in specific parts of the bike they will email you for more information.

Might be handy if they could view, but people buying on ebay should be aware of the risks involved with buying in that way. People bidding on it will be expecting a written off bike, so their expectations shouldn't be too high.

Are you going to put a 'buy it now' price up? If you have a figure in mind it might also be worth advertising it on https://www.bemsee.co.uk/, it won't cost you anything and people who go on there may well be looking for a second R6 for spares or for a winter project. If it looks like you're going to make more on Ebay you can just withdraw it from the Bemsee site. Probably worth putting a post on the Messagenet too, even if it's only to point people to the Ebay add.

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 08:21 - 03 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have bought the salvage back from the insurance company then its yours and nothing to do with then so you don't have to show then a receipt unless the bike has a destruction order on it then you would need a receipt from a breakers yard saying its been destroyed.
20:02:36 Jammy-R6: any holes a goal
20:02:48 kev: even if its a hairy mans arse
20:02:56 Jammy-R6: hell yes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 08:51 - 03 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've said before, try to mention the more positive stuff about the bike alongside the damage report, i.e. frame is straight, engine runs perfectly, etc.

Be honest (as I expect that you will be anyway Wink), but don't intentionally make the bike sound/look like a total wreck as you are actually trying to sell it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 08:59 - 03 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Show some photos. As Tin says, engine and frame being straight are major points Smile

Mention wheels as well, and other major bits which are still good. Mention what is damaged, and I'd put "I recommend that you view this bike before bidding" or something like that. Put your mobile number on the page as well. But kevs bike sold with just a photo of it, and about two lines of text saying how its straight and engine is good and its just cosmetic damage and his forks.

In regards to the wanting a receipt, can you not ring them and ask them. Ask them why they want it, as its nothing to do with them, no more than you have to give them a receipt for anything else of yours you buy and sell. They sold it to you, its got fuck all to do with them now Confused Ring em and ask. Or speak to CAB maybe or your soliceter

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 11:22 - 03 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusty wrote:

If you want me to sign a receipt saying I bought it for £300, I'd be quite happy to do so.

As Alex said, if they want a receipt give them one. I'd happily sign something that said I bought it from you for £300 or so.

I'm not exactly sure why they want one from you, it could be they are checking up on their engineers? Or your paranoia could be right.

So just give them a receipt that says you sold it for £300 etc if you have to mate.

Gav
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart@Work
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:30 - 03 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Other than reducing the claim, the only other thing I can think of is that it is a cat B write off and therefore cannot be pu tback on the road. Maybe they are covering themselves with this to ensure that when you sell it you are selling it for spares NOT repair.

All the best

Keith

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 16:19 - 03 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the pointers Smile
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 17:45 - 03 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2441073486

done, its on bemsee as well, would you mind stickin it on the messagenet anyone who can remember their password Rolling Eyes

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 17:53 - 03 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

eBay wrote:
Invalid Item
The item you requested ( 2441073486 ) is invalid, still pending, or no longer in our database. Please check the number and try again. If this message persists, the item has either not started and is not yet available for viewing, or has expired and is no longer available.

Shocked

Evilbob
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:54 - 03 Nov 2003    Post subject: ebay Reply with quote

^^^^^^^^^^^^

just means he hasnt set it to start yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Crazy Manx Man
The Fly Swatter

PostPosted: 17:59 - 03 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha, looks like the insurance company is trying to piss on your fire...Not much can be said about it really...obviously, I think they know what your playing at though.

Have fun.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:02 - 03 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Manx Man wrote:
hahaha, looks like the insurance company is trying to piss on your fire...Not much can be said about it really...obviously, I think they know what your playing at though.

Have fun.

Doubt it. They sold it to him for an amount they offered it to him for. The fact he then sells it at a profit can't be used against him in his claim for compensation.

Crazy Manx Man
The Fly Swatter

PostPosted: 18:06 - 03 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Crazy Manx Man wrote:

Have fun.

Doubt it. They sold it to him for an amount they offered it to him for. The fact he then sells it at a profit can't be used against him in his claim for compensation.

woa there, Ste.

I haven't said any theory about what the insurance company knows what he's playing at, nor am I defending anyone.

I know that they (the insurance company) possibly can't take any action against 'Goose for the profit made on the sale of his R6 (Note: HIS) or his compensation and/or claims, I really didn't need the situation put into baby terms, but thanks anyway.

Last edited by Crazy Manx Man on 18:08 - 03 Nov 2003; edited 1 time in total

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 18:08 - 03 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said, the receipt thing is probably only to "prove" that the bike has been effectively sold on as salvage. Having said that, won't Cat A/B vehicles have their log books revoked?

Best of luck with the auction mate (when it eventually begins). Smile

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 12:03 - 04 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goose, the receipts so they can track where the bike's gone if they need to. It's not allowed back on the road, so by selling it on you could be breaking the law. The buyer will probably be logged by the police and flagged if tax or something is bought for it. Happened to a mate who sold a written off Cavalier. The bloke put it back on the road and then blamed me mate. But a receipt proved it was sold as a write-off.
So don't worry Very Happy

Good luck selling.

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 17:07 - 04 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers bud Smile thats put my mind at rest
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 181 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1