WANTED:

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Bikes & Accessories Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

djr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:44 - 14 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

just saying bikes are easyier to understand then girls
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Syfoon
TRUCK!!!

PostPosted: 19:24 - 14 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to say it, but if you have no experience with geared bikes, I wouldn't go for a 400.

Look at Alli, she bought herself a nice ZX4R 2/3 months back, but hasn't been able to ride it because she isn't experienced enough. (Plus she doesn't have that laminated bit of card Wink, poor ol' thing.)

Go for a 2 stroke 125 (NSR, RS, Mito), a 4 stroke 125 (CG, RS) or a 4 stroke 250 (Can't think of any Razz). They'll be cheaper to buy and insure at 17, too.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:42 - 14 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

On your above suggestion, you won't find an RS250 for that money in a condition that you would want to touch. NSR250 is a grey import only and spares will be a problem compared to the others. KR1S is not a bad bike. The problem with them was the ring locating pins came out of the pistons. Problem should now be fixed as none of those still around should still be on the original pistons. However again it will not be a cheap bike to run. All 3 of those you can probably expect to average around 30mpg (and alot less when thrashed), use a litre of £10 2 stroke oil every 300~500 miles and need new pistons every 10000 miles.

ZZR250 is OK, but not really any quicker than a 2 stroke 125, and you have to thrash it even more to get that performance. Very good on petrol though. They were officially imported just that they sold slightly more than bugger all of them.

With zero experience of a proper bike I would not go for a sports bike straight away. Look at stuff like a CB1, 400 Bandit, Bros, etc until you build up some experience.

All the best

Keith

G1_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:10 - 14 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal experience is that if I didn't get my 250 before looking at 400's I would have been scared shitless, by them!
I had a moped a while ago and am very glad that I got my CB250 (4 stroke) as it made an easy bike to learn on.
All people are different but I would advise getting a cheap 125 or 250 if only for a few months just to get used to a proper bike before getting a bike with more than 33bhp.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

djr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:50 - 15 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

blah blah blah, uhm, as someone said in irc a couple of days ago i should proberly wait till i've got the money and the laminated card b4 i start hunting any further, in any case i'd of passed my test b4 buying and the only riding i'd do without getting it restricted would be to get it to the bike shop to get the restricters put in

for now i'll take seemingly good advice (and shut up for a change)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 168 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Bikes & Accessories All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2