BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cyclists

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

gmanxiii
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 11 Sep 2007    Post subject: Cyclists Reply with quote

Anyone cycle regularly? or maybe just started recently? im looking to start cycling mainly to do a bit of commuting fairly soon as we've just moved offices and theres showers! everyday i do a 10 mile commute into work that takes me about 30-40 mins on a motorbike, theres an old dude on a road bicycle who i see everyday i pass him about half way and he can get through traffic i cant and but i catch him on the straight and we get into the city about the same time. So since im pretty lardy now from not being able to do any excercise since my accident i think it would be good way to lose the gut, still get to work quicker than anyone else and have a refreshing breeze and sunshine/thundering rain on my face first thing.

Only thing is where do i start? What equipment would i need? What kind of bike would be most suitable? and how much to pay really.
should i expect to have a similar road sense to riding a motorcycle especially regarding filtering and stuff if not more?

i've just been debating with a friend of mine who lives in london who wants to do the same but he's never been on two wheels in busy city traffic. Hes adamant hes got brilliant road sense and is willing to pay like a grand for a expensive road bike which i said was a bit stupid and overkill especially if he decides he cant be arsed cycling again after a few months or he gets knocked off. Personally i'd go for the most cheap and battered thing i can find and just use that until i feel i want more comfort and speed.

So whad'dya reckon? I suppose im taking a view from like a learner rider might. i.e. buy the most reliable rubbish running bike you can find, get some experience, then progress to something more flash.

VFR400NC30 > ZZR600 > CBR600FX > CBR1000rr

_Will_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:03 - 11 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

People will come and say spend £700 on a bike and equipment, which i think is just silly.

I purchased a mens moutain bike (allbeit from family) for a tenner earlier this year, it has since done a thousand odd miles (i really should buy new tyres Laughing ) since i have forked out 15 for a self sealing innertube after a puncture and its still going strong, all i will have to spend in the near future is £15 on new tyres.

I do between 60-100 odd miles a week no problems, i've now got a little computer to tell me how fast/far im going aswell.

Realisticly it should cost you pittance.
Thumbs Up
|| 1999 Cbr1100xx Blackbird ||
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
Suffering Bike Withdrawal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dusty
King of the Rim

PostPosted: 18:17 - 11 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the 06 halfords carrara fury when it had just come out. Cost £400 and something but has been surprisingly reliable for a halfords bike considering the abuse it's had. If I were you I'd just get something cheap and see if you get into it before you get something expensive. Having said that, whatever you do don't buy a cheap full suspension bike.

Chriss
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:04 - 12 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cycle to work on my brothers old mountain bike, with no suspension. It's only 6 miles (lots of hills, and off road) but the 10 year old bike manages it quite well, but it's hard work.

I'd buy a cheap bike, and see how it goes, and if you like it, carries on, ie, not just a phase, then upgrade. Smile

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:10 - 12 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to cycle on my commute as much as possible - it is my favourite way to get into work. In London, which in general is as flat as a pancake, I find it incredible that more people don't do it.

I would say that the best way to start is to get a second hand bike from ebay for around £250 - make sure it is a road bike. DO NOT get a mountain bike for pure road riding. They are wider, heavier, have much greater rolling resistance, and generally made of cheaper components.

Go to Halfords and size yourself up - then leave and get a Halfords Carrera second hand, in the right size on ebay.

I would recommend toeclips to start, don't go straight to SPD's - you might not enjoy it and therefore there is no point getting all the kit.

DO get proper cycling shorts. On a 10 mile commute (likely to be c.45min to start with), twice a day, you will get a sore arse. Proper cycling shorts have anti bacterial padding which helps with comfort Wink I personally prefer 'bib' type shorts (they don't cut into your stomache).

For your top, consider a hi-viz jacket, you will need it for the winter and shitty weather, but they are awful sweaty in the summer. Personally I go for a ludicrous cycling kit, which always gets appropriate attention!

(Depending on your size I have a hi viz jacket which is surplus to requirements - you can have it for the cost of the postage - PM if you want)

Logistically, I leave my work shoes at work, with troosers and shirt/lunch in my backpack.

May as well get a helmet too!

Once you have all the above, get a copy of the highway code. Then throw that fucker away! You won't be needing it on the pushbike. My favourite part of cycling is the big Middle Finger to cagers. The key to effective cycling is not to lose momentum - so try not to stop at all Wink

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 09:45 - 12 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a flat bar road bike or get a mountain bike and fit slicks.

Something off ebay for a few hundred quid would probably be fine, dont get anything with suspension, it will be useless and heavy.

Get a cycling helmet, some gloves, a pair f lights and a decent rucksack which has two clipping straps on the front. Then just cycle.

Probably best to start off with just doing 2-3 times a week at first.

Cycling on the road will be even more dangerous than riding your motorbike. Have fun.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:43 - 12 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude have you seen how big that hill is on Standlane? , unless you are willing to skitch into work there be many hills,

Prestwich is up and down , Salford is down all the way into strangeways , but then you have to think of it backwards.

Salford uphill all the way, then up and down via prestwich , then down standlane then up the horrible radcliffe bit and then up the Breightmet bit.

You can borrow a push bike of mine to have a go I have a lock too so you can have a try and not spent too much on somehting you'll abandon

When I was like 16 I push bike'd to work in Whitefield, took me about an hour from Radcliffe, and I was pretty fit in those days being able to run a 6 minute mile,

EDIT : here is the clue you meet him about half way, who knows how long it takes him to get up standlane? , if Hamhock man started same place as me I'd waste him,

if you are being beaten by cyclists would you like a lesson in attack filtering? a human cyclist cannot sustain more than 25mph on the flat and 15mph on steep inclines for more than a few minutes, I can sustain 30mph through absolute gridlocked traffic, you just have to be assertive.

EDIT2 , 30-40 minutes to get into the city? , wtf are you riding? a solex? my personal best is 14 minutes and 3 seconds from Portland Street door to door, Although this is somewhat dangerous, my average time into the city was 23 minutes. Albeit I live 1.3 miles closer.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Last edited by Itchy on 12:48 - 12 Sep 2007; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:46 - 12 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought cyclo-cross model. cyclo-cross model has tougher frame for off road, but lighter than MTB model. And cyclo-cross model has drop handle. You can fit wider road tyre with wire compared to road model. Road bike has tubular tyres and I can't maintain them.
That's why I bought cyclo-cross model.

gmanxiii
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:07 - 12 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
dude have you seen how big that hill is on Standlane? , unless you are willing to skitch into work there be many hills,

Prestwich is up and down , Salford is down all the way into strangeways , but then you have to think of it backwards.

Salford uphill all the way, then up and down via prestwich , then down standlane then up the horrible radcliffe bit and then up the Breightmet bit.

You can borrow a push bike of mine to have a go I have a lock too so you can have a try and not spent too much on somehting you'll abandon

When I was like 16 I push bike'd to work in Whitefield, took me about an hour from Radcliffe, and I was pretty fit in those days being able to run a 6 minute mile,

EDIT : here is the clue you meet him about half way, who knows how long it takes him to get up standlane? , if Hamhock man started same place as me I'd waste him,

if you are being beaten by cyclists would you like a lesson in attack filtering? a human cyclist cannot sustain more than 25mph on the flat and 15mph on steep inclines for more than a few minutes, I can sustain 30mph through absolute gridlocked traffic, you just have to be assertive.

EDIT2 , 30-40 minutes to get into the city? , wtf are you riding? a solex? my personal best is 14 minutes and 3 seconds from Portland Street door to door, Although this is somewhat dangerous, my average time into the city was 23 minutes. Albeit I live 1.3 miles closer.

Ive done the journey in 20 mins before and yeah that was pretty dangerous. However since school has started the traffic towards manchester has appeared to get even more gridlocked than ive ever seen it, which makes it even more difficult to filter than usual without being naughty... Especially since yesterday when they decided to start fixing some waterworks in the middle of the road in prestwich.

Yeah ive been thinking about those hills but it doesnt look too bad i dont think... especially if you are on a decentish road or race bike and get in the right gear, see loads of people do it everyday. You also forget that when you was 16 you might of had littler legs Razz

although i may take you up on your offer, i can leave the bike inside the office so it wont get nicked. im losing the hirebike next tuesday and due to my laziness i still havent got the NC30 ready yet which means being stuck on the bus for forever next week.

VFR400NC30 > ZZR600 > CBR600FX > CBR1000rr
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 202 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1