Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Winter storage....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

northie
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:06 - 29 Nov 2003    Post subject: Winter storage.... Reply with quote

Not been around for a while, been to busy getting a car sorted out for the Winter.

This has probably been asked before a million times...

What sort of things should I be doing when I put the bike away for the winter.

Got the obvious things:-

1. Disconnect Battery
2. Burn excess fuel from carb, by running engine with fuel tap off till it stalls
3. vaseline on all metal bits to stop corrosion.
4. Oil chain

Please feels free to add more to list, theres probably more in the manual etc... but I know sometimes manuals aren't entirely accurate. Also, is there anything that might need to be checked on through the Winter. Or can bike just be left for 2-3 months without attention.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 19:31 - 29 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put it on front and rear paddock stands

change oil every few months i think

best thing you can do is take it out for a ride every chance you get of a dry/warm day.

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 19:36 - 29 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

yamswheelyr1 wrote:
Put it on front and rear paddock stands

change oil every few months i think

best thing you can do is take it out for a ride every chance you get of a dry/warm day.
Just stick it on paddock stands, cover it in wd40 and cover it up, you wont have to change the oil and thats all you really need to do except make sure the fuel tank it totally full to stop it rusting inside.
20:02:36 Jammy-R6: any holes a goal
20:02:48 kev: even if its a hairy mans arse
20:02:56 Jammy-R6: hell yes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

northie
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:55 - 29 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
all you really need to do except make sure the fuel tank it totally full to stop it rusting inside.

Really???

Does the fuel not go funny over the winter???

WD40 or Vaseline???

manic
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 00:57 - 30 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

northie wrote:
Quote:
all you really need to do except make sure the fuel tank it totally full to stop it rusting inside.

Really???

Yup
Quote:

Does the fuel not go funny over the winter???

Probably, but a tankful of fuel is far cheaper than a new tank and far less work than getting your bike running properly again.

Quote:
WD40 or Vaseline???

Personally I would go with Vaseline. Heavier, so it should offer more protection and last longer.

"Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and meet the bloody thing" Barry Sheene

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 16:13 - 30 Nov 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The fuel may go off. Depending on the bike / fuel it may still run on it or you may have to drain it off and replace it. You can get fuel additives to stop it going off (common in the USA, and apparently readily available in the UK from garden centres for petrol driven lawn mowers).

Best thing to do with the tyres is get them off the ground. If the bike is going to be off the road for years then cover the tyres with a black plastic bag (UV light rots the rubber), but if it is just over winter I would not worry and just keep them up to the correct pressure.

With a 4 stroke engine the combustion gases contaminate the oil and make it slightly acidic. This can wreck bearings. For this reason it is worth changing the oil, especially if the oil is due to be changed anyway.

Spray anything that might corrode with WD40, but avoid the chain, fork seal areas and the brakes.

Oh, and being honest I rarely bother with doing any of this as I never know if it will be a week or 6 months before I ride that bike again.

All the best

Keith

northie
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:25 - 01 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all sorted apart from greasing bits likely to rust and filling the fuel tank.

Good tip time.....

When trying to make your bike look nice and shiny.... DO NOT USE TYRE DRESSING!!!!

I did, and when I took it for a ride upto my grans where its being stored I nearly fell off it. Was real slippy and outta of shape for the first mile. SCARY STUFF.

Got a really cool picture, can I upload it to a the forum or do I need to save it somewhere else and use URL. Is there a place where we can add our bike pics????

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 09:58 - 02 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

northie wrote:

When trying to make your bike look nice and shiny.... DO NOT USE TYRE DRESSING!!!!

Your not meant to use it on the tyre tread, just the tyre walls. Rolling Eyes Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 10:00 - 02 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hex wrote:
northie wrote:

Your not meant to use it on the tyre tread, just the tyre walls. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Yea just paint the tread in old engine oil insted. Laughing
20:02:36 Jammy-R6: any holes a goal
20:02:48 kev: even if its a hairy mans arse
20:02:56 Jammy-R6: hell yes

Dusty
King of the Rim

PostPosted: 17:24 - 02 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

kev wrote:
Hex wrote:
northie wrote:

Yea just paint the tread in old engine oil insted. Laughing

Nothing makes tyres shine like a bit of wd40. Laughing

Same goes for brake discs. Rolling Eyes

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:28 - 02 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

northie wrote:
Good tip time.....

I did, and when I took it for a ride upto my grans where its being stored I nearly fell off it. Was real slippy and outta of shape for the first mile. SCARY STUFF.

Well, there's nothing I can say to that apart from Laughing!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:08 - 02 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

northie wrote:

Oh dear Rolling Eyes It says on the packet do not use on the treaded part of the tyre Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 152 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1