BCF: Bike Chat Forums

ftp clients

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

djr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:28 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: ftp clients Reply with quote

Has anyone here ever used the ftp client built into windows 2000? have you had any problems with it?
i've got a problem, i've just bought a hosting account and out of the three ftp address i've been given only one of these works, the hosting company are unable to sort out the problem (i can't get to my database folder so can't add forums or any database'd thing (which basically writes off the whole point in me paying for it)) at the moment we're getting round it by me uploading then getting them to add to my database folder but i don't like this as a long term set up.

things that you might try to blame it on
no it's not my proxy servers fault as my server can't access it either

no it's not there server cause they can log on with a different internet connection

so it's either my ftp client or my net connection, but which one, any one got any tips/suggestions?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The BeefMeister
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:32 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Windows 2000 but got rid of it because it was basically crap. Well I found it crap. I'm now running ME which isn't the best but seems to be easy to use than 2000.

The real reason I got rid of it was because we had trouble networking this computer with 2000 on it and still had no luck with 98 or ME so we gave up.

Never had any major problems with 2000 though.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:34 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a different FTP client then Rolling Eyes

www.smartftp.com I think is one. Or go to www.cnet.com and find one on there. I'd say its probably the FTP client being a bitch. And are *sure* you've got the proxy on you network setup right?

djr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:52 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Try a different FTP client then Rolling Eyes

www.smartftp.com I think is one. Or go to www.cnet.com and find one on there. I'd say its probably the FTP client being a bitch. And are *sure* you've got the proxy on you network setup right?
I'm not 100% sure no, but i would be more inclined to blame the ftp client as i can't connect from my server either, any way, i'm tried and they've just gone and helped out a load already, maybe getting them to add to the database would just be the easiest idea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:59 - 04 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you able to connect to other FTP's?

Then you'll know what the problem is with Smile

bikecruiser.co.uk
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:23 - 05 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if you can connect using the web based FTP from another computer, say at work etc.. https://01ftp.com

or, download WS_FTP LE (Educational FREE Use) Wink from www.ipswitch.com

Dave

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 12:26 - 05 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BeefMeister wrote:
The real reason I got rid of it was because we had trouble networking this computer with 2000 on it and still had no luck with 98 or ME so we gave up.

2000 is designed to be networked - its far easier to network with 2k than with 98/ME.

ME is slightly easier to use, but theres not that much difference for everyday tasks. Its just that 2k offers more.

The BeefMeister
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:33 - 05 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was my mums computer (still is) it was my 'clever' brother couldn't get it working. We kind of figured it might have been something to do with the fact were using crappy AOL. (56k crap Grrr!)

It is still possibly to network with 98/ME though isn't it?

I have a network icon on my desktop so I guess its possible.

I bet your all laughing at my lack of knowlegde about computers. I admit I don't know half the things you people know. I'm a novice.
I know the basics though.

GFK
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:36 - 05 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't even get peer-to-peer networking to work with Win98.

I used Win2K for about a year, and hated it. The longer its installed for, the slower it seemed to get.

Try LeechFTP. Its free.

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 12:39 - 05 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can still network with 98/ME. I was once at a LAN gaming session where we all took out own PC's. So that about 15 PC's networked with a mix of 98/ME/2k and XP.

You just need to know what you're doing.

The BeefMeister
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:40 - 05 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll get someone who knows what theyre doing to help me out. My brother is just simply useless in everyway!

djr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:03 - 05 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BeefMeister wrote:
I had Windows 2000 but got rid of it because it was basically crap. Well I found it crap. I'm now running ME which isn't the best but seems to be easy to use than 2000.

Never had any major problems with 2000 though.

98 is easssy to network, i'll write instructions anyway's, you might not be interested but i'm downloading something so need something to fill up time with.

1) plug all computers together, if your going through a switch/wouter/hub then make sure that your using straight through cables, if your jest networking 2 computers and just using one cable going between the 2 then get a cross over cable.

2) issue all the computers with an ip address between 192168.0.1 and 192.168.0.255.

3) restart the computers.

4)on any one of the computers go start > run and type command

then type ping <ip address (not in brackets)> .

if that fails then you've likely got a problem with cabling but i can't be arse to write about fixing caling cos it would take all bluddy day.

5) assumeing you can ping the other computers then right click then right click on network neighbourhood, click properties.

6) go turn on file and printer sharing.

7) right click on one of the folders on your hard drive click share then follow the instructions to share it.

8) Then on the one of the other computers go into network nighbourhood and check that you can see the other computers, if not then try restarting all the computers and trying again.

if it still doesn't work then you've likely done something worng and should either give up now or prepare to get a headache.

NOTE: there may be something wrong in my instructions, it doesn't bother me, i have a network and preety much al i need to work does work but tis along time since i've used 95/98/me so i'm not sure.

Anyone else want to add something?

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 16:51 - 05 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to make sure that the correct protocols (TCP/IP, file and printer sharing etc.) are installed.

djr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:55 - 05 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

McJamweasel wrote:
You need to make sure that the correct protocols (TCP/IP, file and printer sharing etc.) are installed.
From what i remember (last year ish when i last touched 98) tcp/ip being basically the mainly used way of communicating on networs, tcp/ip was done automatically, and you don't really need ipx/spx really.

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 17:04 - 05 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the protocol is installed as standard on 98. IPX is used by some games.

djr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:11 - 05 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

McJamweasel wrote:
I don't think the protocol is installed as standard on 98. IPX is used by some games.
hmm, not sure and there's no way i can be bothered to hunt for an xp cd so i'll never know so no point argueing now.

Also i wouldn't know, i never play games, they always make me appear to be crap so i just find more interesting things to do like playing with myself.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 149 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1