Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Need to try and 'iron' out a few electric wiring headaches.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:18 - 25 Nov 2007    Post subject: Need to try and 'iron' out a few electric wiring headaches. Reply with quote

After an hour or so pulling my hair out due to connectors breaking or coming loose I have decided to try the option of soldering the wires together as I have cut and amended, cut and amended... leaving the wires getting shorter and shorter!

I don't have electric in the garage so a hand held gas soldering iron would be the best bet. I'm not that tight that I would begrudge the £20 that Maplins have them advertised for, but are there any other cheaper options?

Can you melt the solder with a lighter flame?
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MattEMulsion
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:31 - 25 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do believe that you can get some good gas soldering 'guns' but I've always prefered the electric ones. They just seem easier to use and more predictable.

If you don't want to solder them why not join them with some decent electrical connectors, such as crimped butt connectors. Done properly they are fine. Thumbs Up
____________________
Yamaha YZF-R6
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:36 - 25 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bullet crimp connectors were a tad bit fiddly today and no matter how hard they were crimped they would keep breaking or coming undone. Mad

I managed to get through a dozen or so for one reason or another and was well and truly pee'd off in the end. All this for a new set of indicators as the last ones had rusted through.

So, maybe a little solder would hold them more secure if not look a little more bodged.
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:37 - 25 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go for the 12V iron instead, as the gas ones tend to be bulky :-

https://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?MenuNo=11798&MenuName=12V+Soldering+Irons&FromMenu=y&doy=Search

Tandy used to do a tape solder that would melt with a match, but I haven't been able to find any for years Sad
____________________
Current: CB500 Previous: CB100N, CB250RS, XJ900F, GT550, GPZ750R/1000RX, AJS M16, R100RT, Enfield Bullet

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:43 - 25 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Shaggy never see them. Thumbs Up
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:10 - 25 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

4" nail + Pliers + Camping stove = soldering iron.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MattEMulsion
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:34 - 26 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
The bullet crimp connectors were a tad bit fiddly today and no matter how hard they were crimped they would keep breaking or coming undone.

You must have been doing them wrong then because even bullet connectors are okay if made/used properly. You can't beat a butt connector though and a proper crimping tool to do the job with.
____________________
Yamaha YZF-R6
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:54 - 26 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattEMulsion wrote:
Whosthedaddy wrote:
The bullet crimp connectors were a tad bit fiddly today and no matter how hard they were crimped they would keep breaking or coming undone.

You must have been doing them wrong then because even bullet connectors are okay if made/used properly. You can't beat a butt connector though and a proper crimping tool to do the job with.


You know the score, the more frustrated you get the more things go wrong and cause more frustration...

Maplins didn't have the 12v soldering iron so opted for the gas one and its quite good to be honest and very user friendly. Managed to get one indicator hooked up but the other one? Either the bulb is knackered or theres some dodgy connection maybe, so will have a proper hunt when I'm off and its light. Working on the electrics at dusk is no fun.Laughing

Its getting me down a little to be fair, its the little things that are annoying!
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:30 - 26 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are crimping wrong.. for starters, I bet you're using a pair of pliers or a crappy plier style crimp tool from Poundland?

Secondly... with a lot of bike wiring you need to double the ends over to go into red crimps else they'll just pull out.

I've fixed many a bike wiring with crimps using a PROPER ratchet crimp tool and decent red crimps. Double the ends over so it fits proper tight in the crimp before you even crimp it and it will be fine.


Only pic I can find of a semi-decent crimp tool

https://n36sx.wheelsup.org/electric/crimptool.jpg

if you have one of them cheap plier type ones please throw it in the bin Laughing fuckin hate them
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:37 - 26 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double the end over. I must admit that I didn't do this as the wires were quite thin and as soon as you mentioned it I could see the error of my ways.

Not sure about the crimper, got it ages ago to be honest but has been abused many a time so probably not as effective as it should have been.

I have 2 minds to throw away and start from scratch as a half arsed job is going to annoy me or come back and bit me in the future I'm sure.
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:56 - 28 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I've made similar mistakes with cheap crimps.

I've now seen the error of my ways and always solder.

If you don't have electrics in the garage, what about just lobbing a 10metre cable from the house to outside and doing outside.

I'm actually a bit sad and have rigged the garage up with internal 500W spot lights, because I find it helps soo much at night when working on the bikes.
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:59 - 29 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm off on some hols at the weekend and have a few spare days when I get back so I will probably start from scratch and try and measure twice, three times before cutting. Although its a little belt and braces, because the wires are open and loose under the pillion seat and the disc lock gets bounced around in there I may solder and crimp.

I suppose you live and learn. Laughing
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 308 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.67 - MySQL Queries: 16 - Page Size: 80.96 Kb