Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

OT Bloody FrontPage

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

moonym20
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 00:48 - 12 Dec 2003    Post subject: OT Bloody FrontPage Reply with quote

Hello again, sorry to post all this HTML nonsence, i know a load of people on here have HTML as a second language so i figured mabye someone could help me out of a hole again.

I've spent ages sorting out a website for mums company- it looks ok for a first timer however i'm having a problem with the frames and some pictures Evil or Very Mad

The pictures are most annoying part....basically when someone minimises or shirnks the window I want the scroll bars to be enabled as soon as the window begins to go past the images,
instead at the moment the page continues to shrink....moving images onto another line and then introduces the scroll bars once it hits the text...basically i wana know how to have images 'fixed' in place

Secondly with the frames, i know that unfortunaly its not possible to tell the page I only want a horizontal or vertical scroll bar Sad
but when someone shrinks the browser window it effectivly crops the menu bar.....if i place scroll bars in, Front Page is adamant that there is somthing 10 pixels over to the right, so you get a horisontal scroll bar where it aint needed Evil or Very Mad

the last problem I have is that I tried to create a minature border, some text in the middle writen on the page and then some buttons with roll over effects, i did the border in Photoshop and made sure that when i 'cut' it into sections each area was inline
when i alligned these up in Front Page they were quite far out Sad

any help at all with this would be great, i've looked all over the web and am started to get fustrated with it

Dusty
King of the Rim

PostPosted: 00:56 - 12 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonym20 wrote:
instead at the moment the page continues to shrink....moving images onto another line and then introduces the scroll bars once it hits the text...

Are you using inline tables for the images? It would probably help people to help you if you posted a link to the site. Smile

moonym20
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 00:58 - 12 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

cos i'm a newbie all i did was insert the picture and move it where i needed it Embarassed

anyways here is the site...I know it aint that amazing its a first attempt...any help with it would be great

also the downloads page is screwed a bit like I said earlier

https://www.yorkshirecurtainsiders.co.uk

Dusty
King of the Rim

PostPosted: 01:20 - 12 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear, have you looked at the code frontpage is making for you? It's at least 50%  (s). Which probably has quite a lot to do with your spacing being a bit knackered and stuff moving about when you change the size of the window.

frontpage wrote:
Code:
website             

Merry Christmas and have a
Fantastic 2004 from all the Team at YCS     

&nbsp; If you have any enquiries please call christine on 01904 728144 alternatively you can e-mail <a href="mailto:enquiries@yorkshirecurtainsiders.co.uk">
enquiries@yorkshirecurtainsiders.co.uk</a>&nbsp;
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 For direct repairs please call Mick
on 07836 212560&nbsp; </marquee></p>

Have you specified the frameset with percentages? if so then I would advise you set the size of the left frame in pixels and leave the other frame to fill the remaining space. Something like -

Code:
<frameset frameborder="0" framespacing="0" rows="75,*">

Ultimately the answer is probably not to use front page. Try right clicking on one of your pages and choosing 'view source', half the code it's churning out is jiberish. It's a much better idea to lay a page out with tables than
Code:
&nbsp;
I'm not really sure what to suggest as a solution. Confused

moonym20
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 01:26 - 12 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks...i'll have a look at that
as for the &nbsp; shite.....I know its best to use <BR> where possible but its still a pain in arse to position stuff

I may well have to look at attempting the rest in notepad....i might see if dreamweaver can make a nicer job of it

i'm not quite sure if the spacing is whats mucking up the pictures, as it seems to leave the text as it

I may try a style sheet and indent it...but not sure if that would work for two images on the same line at opposite sides of the page

Dusty
King of the Rim

PostPosted: 01:36 - 12 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonym20 wrote:
I may well have to look at attempting the rest in notepad....

That's probably a good idea, you'll learn a lot more doing it that way and you should need less than half the amount of code that you have at the moment.

CSS is probably a good idea, I've only just started using style sheets myself, but it has made my life a lot easier, especially when it comes to changing stuff.

Also I'm not sure if you are aware as you are probably on 1024x768, but I'm on 800x600, if I choose 800x600 the site looks worse than if I choose 1024x768. I can only see half the left hand frame when I take the 800x600 option.

Good luck on getting it sorted. Smile

moonym20
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 01:42 - 12 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that on another computer......again....another fasinating think that front page has done....it seems to make the 'main page' or frame overlap the left one whenever you shrink or resize it....that may have somthing to do with the scroll bars........
looks like i'll spend a while tomorrow sorting all this out.....cba to do it this evening Confused

Thanks a lot for your help Dusy Mr. Green

G1_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:11 - 12 Dec 2003    Post subject: Re: OT Bloody FrontPage Reply with quote

moonym20 wrote:
Secondly with the frames, i know that unfortunaly its not possible to tell the page I only want a horizontal or vertical scroll bar

I sware it is possible.
/me goes off to find website I did ages ago

But obviously the best solution would be to change the site so that such a quick fix is not needed.

It is by far the best solution to use tables rather than frames. In my experience tables are a lot more predictable and easier to use well than frames.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:48 - 12 Dec 2003    Post subject: Re: OT Bloody FrontPage Reply with quote

A thought:
With such a website, it's the content that's important.
You are trying to give people information about the company.
Therefore I'd start with getting a basic layout and the content in an easily accessible way.

Once you've done that you can start to tart it up with a few flashy bits, though it's probably best to not go over the top, so it's the content that's the major thing, not the website design Smile.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 148 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1