Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Alcohol age limit increase.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Should age limit for alcohol be increased to 21?
Yes
26%
 26%  [ 23 ]
No
66%
 66%  [ 57 ]
Should be banned outright (there has to be an extremity!)
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
Not Sure
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 86

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 13:10 - 18 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raise the age limit to 21 and ban anyone over 30 from going to town on a friday or saturday night, sorted.

pigmo
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:50 - 18 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

18 is fine IMO. Just tax it more to pay for the treatment of piss-heads and stab victims.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:18 - 20 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is hilarious. Another classic U turn from Labour. They relaxed the drinking laws last year, longer drinking hours and then wonder why more people are being admitted to A & E with alcohol related injuries. Well durrr, I could have told them that.

I voted no anyway. The current law isn't enforced, so if they upped the limit what makes anyone think that would be enforced. There's a pub near me where the average ages is about 16. They ID all the people they know are over age so they are seen to be IDing and let in all the under ager's. Rolling Eyes

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:32 - 20 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who thinks alcohol should be banned needs to read up on the US during prohibition. Serious organized crime went through the roof.

As for raising the minimum age, what's the point? Under 18's can get alcohol at the moment so will it really stop them? Of course not.

The underlying problem behind all of this seems to be our culture of drinking, puking, fighting and shagging until we pass out. Oh and shopping for useless Chinese tat.

Well, wonder why society is falling apart? Rolling Eyes

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:40 - 20 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
The underlying problem behind all of this seems to be our culture of drinking, puking, fighting and shagging until we pass out.

And suspect the control freak nature of modern laws is largely responsable for these problems.

All the best

Keith

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 11:43 - 20 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The argument being that because the 'state' is seemingly opressing people it has become the enemy, thus taking society into the realms of being enemy too.

Once society is no longer respected there's very little hope for any of us to live together harmoniously - what's the point in abiding the laws of then enemy? Why respect the strenth and importance of society and other people - they're the enemy...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jrod
Page 3 Girl

PostPosted: 12:03 - 23 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is how do you stop underage people getting booze? There will always be people out there willing to buy it for them.

I also used to walk in clubs when I was 16 which nowaday I get asked for ID! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:36 - 23 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:
The argument being that because the 'state' is seemingly opressing people it has become the enemy, thus taking society into the realms of being enemy too.

Once society is no longer respected there's very little hope for any of us to live together harmoniously - what's the point in abiding the laws of then enemy? Why respect the strenth and importance of society and other people - they're the enemy...

That's the most insightful perspective on the issue I've read in the last year. Thumbs Up

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:38 - 24 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The legal age for alcohol consumption is 5 not 18.

You can drink certain alcoholic drinks in a pub or a restaurant at 16, as long you have a meal.

In the states, you cant even give a 15 year old the taste of beer it is illegal.

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:32 - 24 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt_uk wrote:

E.G the witherspoons chain, there very strict down here, Seen them refuse entry to alot of people with no ID, who were blantenly 25+
I was in a wetherspons on Saturday night, I honestly look younger than I am but I went to the bar(was the start of a work do) and got a nice glass of some sparkly stuff and the bar maid handed it over, didn't think twice about my age/appearance.

It's not the point about what age you can buy it, it's the little tarts that sit outside netto/off licence and ask random older people to buy them the drink, some would as a group can be intimidating, or there could be an ulterior motive for buying a tartily dressed young gal a bottle of cheap cider, either way it's these mugs that are the root of the issue, just saying no would stop half of it IMO.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 128 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2