Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


The Right Hand Side

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

The BeefMeister
Crazy Courier



Joined: 20 Jun 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:35 - 23 Dec 2003    Post subject: The Right Hand Side Reply with quote

I know this might sound odd but I've noticed a lot of bikes having the exhaust on the right hand side instead of the left. Exceptions made to those with twins or underseat exhausts.

I can only think that the VFR/RVF, RS125's have it on the left hand side (Except the VFR400 NC21).

Is there something to so with the designers being left or right handed? There must be a reason behind it.

Its the same with buses and lorries. They exhaust is aimed to the right hand side but I can understand pedestrians not wanting to get knocked out with thick diesel smoke. Surely it can't be the same reason. Apart from the diesel smoke too obviously.
____________________
"Put your hands up motherstickers, this is a f*ck up!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dusty
King of the Rim



Joined: 25 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:58 - 23 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine it has something to do with weight distribution and the fact that the drive is normally on the left, hence giving better access to chain and sprockets, belt or shaft.

It may well just be that most are like that due to tradition so to speak <shrug> basically I don't know, but I thought I'd have a guess. Confused
____________________
Gallery
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:09 - 23 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought it was an imports thing Question
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git



Joined: 02 Jul 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:39 - 23 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always assumed it was to allow easy access to the chain for lubing etc.
Can't say I'd ever noticed many on the right hand side Confused
____________________
I spend all my money on bikes and beer, the rest I simply waste!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart@Work
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 26 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:11 - 23 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

More space for the exhaust on the side without the chain. The only real exception to this are those VFR models which stick it on the same side as the chain so that you can remove the wheel quickly.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Atheism is a not for prophet organisation
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dusty
King of the Rim



Joined: 25 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:16 - 23 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart@Work wrote:
Hi

More space for the exhaust on the side without the chain. The only real exception to this are those VFR models which stick it on the same side as the chain so that you can remove the wheel quickly.

All the best

Keith


Any idea why the chain's normally on the left hand side? Is it just the way things have happened to turn out or is it to do with engine layout and the need to have the gearshift on the left?
____________________
Gallery
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore



Joined: 03 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:29 - 23 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of a bike which has gear shift on the right, but i don't know where the exhaus is there Rolling Eyes .
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/nsrandy/96rs250/ My Bike!

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:42 - 23 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

NSR125-Kid-UK wrote:
I've heard of a bike which has gear shift on the right, but i don't know where the exhaus is there Rolling Eyes .

<cue old timer mode>
Cor Blimey, these young whipper-snappers don't know that they are born!

In my day, all bikes were right hand gear change! We didn't have none of this "fast food" neither. It were powdered egg or nothin'! Smile

These new fangled plastic rockets with their "radial tyres" and their "pop music". I had to make do with a BSA winged wheel and nowt else we could afford! It was just after the war you know....

</old timer mode complete>
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ant
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Feb 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:53 - 23 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
NSR125-Kid-UK wrote:
I've heard of a bike which has gear shift on the right, but i don't know where the exhaus is there Rolling Eyes .

<cue old timer mode>
Cor Blimey, these young whipper-snappers don't know that they are born!

In my day, all bikes were right hand gear change! We didn't have none of this "fast food" neither. It were powdered egg or nothin'! Smile

These new fangled plastic rockets with their "radial tyres" and their "pop music". I had to make do with a BSA winged wheel and nowt else we could afford! It was just after the war you know....

</old timer mode complete>


All bikes or all english bikes?? Mr British??

My dads got an old Ariel leader with the gears on the right!!

Oh and aren't bus exchausts on the left? along with all the cars that i can see from my window at the mo? Confused
____________________
04 ZX10R ~
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:01 - 23 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant wrote:
All bikes or all english bikes?? Mr British??

My dads got an old Ariel leader with the gears on the right!!

Oh and aren't bus exchausts on the left? along with all the cars that i can see from my window at the mo? Confused

<warning: returning to old timer mode>

In my day all bikes worth talkin' 'bout were British! I don't know the youth of today with their "Skiffle" music and their Elvis Presley and their coiffed hair!


</phew: end of old timer mode>

yeah I meant all old British bikes were right hand gear change. Smile
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:35 - 23 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusty wrote:
Kickstart@Work wrote:
More space for the exhaust on the side without the chain. The only real exception to this are those VFR models which stick it on the same side as the chain so that you can remove the wheel quickly.


Any idea why the chain's normally on the left hand side? Is it just the way things have happened to turn out or is it to do with engine layout and the need to have the gearshift on the left?


Not sure. Probably down to what was convenient at the time, with wedging a kickstart lever on to be operated with your right foot. That probably entails putting the clutch on the right, which leads to the sprocket being on the left.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser



Joined: 20 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:16 - 23 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

NC30's also have it on the left hand side so you can admire the rear wheel in all its glory, without any pesky swingarms getting in the way Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore



Joined: 03 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:31 - 24 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
NSR125-Kid-UK wrote:
I've heard of a bike which has gear shift on the right, but i don't know where the exhaus is there Rolling Eyes .

<cue old timer mode>
Cor Blimey, these young whipper-snappers don't know that they are born!


Laughing Thanks for making me feel like a young lad again matey, I appreciate it Smile Laughing
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/nsrandy/96rs250/ My Bike!

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

XJ Dave
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 10 Dec 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:09 - 24 Dec 2003    Post subject: Re: The Right Hand Side Reply with quote

The BeefMeister wrote:
I know this might sound odd but I've noticed a lot of bikes having the exhaust on the right hand side instead of the left. Exceptions made to those with twins or underseat exhausts.

I can only think that the VFR/RVF, RS125's have it on the left hand side (Except the VFR400 NC21).

Is there something to so with the designers being left or right handed? There must be a reason behind it.

Its the same with buses and lorries. They exhaust is aimed to the right hand side but I can understand pedestrians not wanting to get knocked out with thick diesel smoke. Surely it can't be the same reason. Apart from the diesel smoke too obviously.


Buses and lorries are required by law to have all exhaust venting away from the pavement or pedestrian .....whether this is true for bikes......I'm not quite sure...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The BeefMeister
Crazy Courier



Joined: 20 Jun 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:44 - 24 Dec 2003    Post subject: Re: The Right Hand Side Reply with quote

XJ Dave wrote:
The BeefMeister wrote:
I know this might sound odd but I've noticed a lot of bikes having the exhaust on the right hand side instead of the left. Exceptions made to those with twins or underseat exhausts.

I can only think that the VFR/RVF, RS125's have it on the left hand side (Except the VFR400 NC21).

Is there something to so with the designers being left or right handed? There must be a reason behind it.

Its the same with buses and lorries. They exhaust is aimed to the right hand side but I can understand pedestrians not wanting to get knocked out with thick diesel smoke. Surely it can't be the same reason. Apart from the diesel smoke too obviously.


Buses and lorries are required by law to have all exhaust venting away from the pavement or pedestrian .....whether this is true for bikes......I'm not quite sure...


How many bike do you know that have exhaust's aiming straight to the left? Not many.

Most bikes have the exhaust's aiming straight or near or less straight to the back. Having the exhaust on the left won't make a difference to where the smoke is going to go. Even If it's on the right it could still blow over to the left.
____________________
"Put your hands up motherstickers, this is a f*ck up!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 285 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.55 - MySQL Queries: 16 - Page Size: 97.33 Kb