Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Getting back on a superbike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

octavia rs
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:57 - 09 Jan 2004    Post subject: Getting back on a superbike Reply with quote

-Cool i'm just contemplating getting back on a bike after a long period of a layoff(10 years approx). My last bike was a VFR 750 and before that I had a GSXr 750. I now have an oportunity to buy a mint condition Yamaha R1(1999) for £4000. My two questions are is this a good price and will this bike scare me shitless or will I be ok on it?

H

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:11 - 09 Jan 2004    Post subject: Re: Getting back on a superbike Reply with quote

That's an okay price, not great, but good enough if it hasn't done many miles and is in good condition.

It should scare you shitless, which is a good thing, because with a 10 year break from biking you're gonna hurt yourself if you start riding it all out as you might have done on the 750s you've had before.

Zimma
Wheelie Junkie

PostPosted: 14:20 - 09 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suppose I should do it then....

Welcome member number 1000!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

mtthwpez
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:23 - 09 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not being funny here but i would suggest you do one of those courses like mac + it saves you money on your insurance!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Zimma
Wheelie Junkie

PostPosted: 14:34 - 09 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, forgot to actually make a post of some use. If the bike is in good condition and has low mileage, then as G said it's not an amazing price but a good one none the less. In regards to the R1, it will scare the living sh*t out of you if you haven't been on a bike for 10 years, which I would say is definitely the way forward! Very Happy Just remember the throttle goes 2 ways and you will be fine. Smile

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 18:24 - 09 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey another Hartlepool monkey Hanger. Very Happy (Although I escaped and now live in Worcester)

Welcome to the wonderful world that is the BCF.

The R1 will be quicker than the bikes you've owned and the 10 year break will make it even quicker to you.

Just go careful and we'll have to meet up sometime when I come home.

Hex
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 20:05 - 09 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Hex said, the R1 is an awsome machine - totally unlike anything you have owned before from what you said. They can certainly bite the unweary. Confused
That said, if you are careful (do some advanced training and a track day) they you will have loads of fun! Smile

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:44 - 09 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Suspect you will scare the hell out of yourself. The R1 probably has around 30% more power and 10% less weight than your GSXR750.

After 10 years off a bike I would say buy something more restrained and ride that for a few months to get back into it.

All the best

Keith

M1ke
Ped Boi

PostPosted: 00:26 - 10 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

A large amount of the deaths this year involving motorcycles were ridden by 'born again' bikers who after having a long time away from bikes probably went out and bought top of the range sports bikes thinking they could handle them... Clearly they were wrong.

All i'm saying is think about it carefully, and don't become another statistic. Confused

On a nicer note, Welcome back to biking Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 01:06 - 10 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

Suspect you will scare the hell out of yourself. The R1 probably has around 30% more power and 10% less weight than your GSXR750.

After 10 years off a bike I would say buy something more restrained and ride that for a few months to get back into it.

All the best

Keith

Agreed 175% Keith. Born agains cause a helluva lot of trouble. Its even got to the point where insurance companies are looking at recent relevant riding experience rather than age or NCB when it comes to cover. That is a serious change for them to make in their proceedures. Insurance companies won't change their proceedures unless there is a *very* good reason.

octavia rs I certainly would suggest trying a 600 (which may still scare you) before getting straight on an R1. I don't want to be legislated out of existence.

Oh and owning a Skoda Octavia RS isn't considered relevant experience!!! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 15:18 - 10 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Its even got to the point where insurance companies are looking at recent relevant riding experience rather than age or NCB when it comes to cover.

That is actually a point. Plenty would just refuse to insure a rider without a year or twos relavant experience.

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 113 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1