Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

my broken down sv650

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

matt
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:02 - 10 Jan 2004    Post subject: my broken down sv650 Reply with quote

hi folks, i need a little help, my sv won't start, this is the sequence of event that preceeds it, right, i fitted t a scottoiler, went out for a burn and the applicator and pipe came away from the swing arm, fortunatly this was by a petrol station, so i bought some insulation tape and stuck it back on, whilst in the process of sticking it back on i pulled the flow pipe off the bottom of the rmv allowing air in, i had only gone a few meters with the pipe hanging off, after this happened the bike was a real pig to start turning over but not firing, eventually it started, i rode it the 30 miles home no trouble, once home i left it for a bit, cleaned up myself abit and had a smoke, went out to put it in the garage same thing again, it would not fire up, but eventually it started, turned it off in the garden, and started again after leaving it for a couple of mins, and it started fine, fixed my scottoiler and cleaned her up, tried to start her and it hasn't started since, still turning over fine but not firing, yet whilst it was still warm it started fine. do you think the scottoiler has anything to do with it or just coincidence? any help will be greatly appreciated as i'm stuck. thanks

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 14:04 - 10 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the vacuume pipe you attached the oiler to on your carbs aint come off.
20:02:36 Jammy-R6: any holes a goal
20:02:48 kev: even if its a hairy mans arse
20:02:56 Jammy-R6: hell yes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 14:06 - 10 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds to me like the vacuum feed for the scottoiler has come off and its leaning the mixture out, so it will run on the lean mix when its warm, but won't start on it. Trace the scottoiler tubes back and check they havn't come off the carb rubbers, and that the carb rubbers don't have any holes in where plugs may have come out.

matt
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:06 - 10 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have checked this, all seems to be ok, once i could get the bike started it was fine, it run as smooth as ever, it's just getting it to go thats the problem Sad

matt
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:08 - 10 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

also when i do turn it over, i'm getting a really strong petrol smell, but i'm tring opening the throttle choke etc

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 14:12 - 10 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice work on the triple post.

sounds like you don't have the scottoiler tube in then, but check your fuel lines are connected while your at it.

Is it firing on one cylinder but not the other? Coughing and spluttering like, but not picking up and going.

matt
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:14 - 10 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunno what happened with the tripple post, all when pear shaped
lol, it's doesn't seem to be firing on any cylinder?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:57 - 10 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I would suspect you have a serious air leak somewhere. Also I presume that the SV has a vacuum operated fuel tap and it could well be that you have disturbed / left this disconnected while fitting the Scott oiler.

All the best

Keith

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:09 - 10 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
...I presume that the SV has a vacuum operated fuel tap and it could well be that you have disturbed...

Keith and Matt,

Yeah. The SV does have a vacuum operated fuel tap AFAIK.

I used to have an SV but I never fitted a scottoiler. Unfortunately Haynes don't do a manual for it either; but I do have (I think) a .PDF of the proper workshop manual somewhere on this machine.

I'll see if I can dig it out (unless its actually a microfiche set rather than a workshop manual - I never needed it! )

Let us know how you get on anyway and I'll look for those .PDFs. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

matt
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:45 - 10 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

right folks listen to this, the non starting events all happened yesterday, i went out earlier to give her a try, and she started first time, i have since started her another 3 times hassle free, any ideas?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:18 - 10 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
right folks listen to this, the non starting events all happened yesterday, i went out earlier to give her a try, and she started first time, i have since started her another 3 times hassle free, any ideas?

flooded engine?

matt
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:29 - 10 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats what i thought, so i left it an hour or so, then turned it over without touching the throttle or choke, but still no firing, was this enougth time to leave it to clear?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 113 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1