BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Alarms

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dusty
King of the Rim

PostPosted: 21:21 - 11 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an alarm fitted, but for the most part it doesn't work.

When I bought the bike it wasn't working because the motion sensors trip as soon as it arms and then deactivate themselves. The ignition alarm still works, but I have no illusions about this actually being effective. The likelihood is that if someone is going to nick the bike, they are going to put it in a van, so ignition devices are unlikely to be any use. However on a smaller bike this may not be the case, because it's probably more likely to get nicked by joy riders or ammeters.

To sort my alarm out I could just apply for a sensitivity adjustment key, but to be honest I rather the motion sensors didn't work, that way I don't get false alarms going off all the time.

The indicators still flash and it still beeps, so if anyone is watching me park it up they will assume it is alarmed. Plus I still get a discount on insurance for having it installed, so it's a win, win situation really.

If I was going to get another alarm I would go for one with integrated key fob and alarm button again, because the separate alarm fobs annoy me. Really it would be better if I kept the alarm fob and key on separate key rings in case I lost them, but it'd be too much hassle for someone who has enough trouble keeping track of one set of keys.

stooz
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:16 - 12 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the subject of ground anchors, there are several models, that use big bolts/screws, so you just drill a hole and then put the bolts in, no cementing required.
the bolts have a cover over them when the bike is attached..
let me know if you decide to get one and which one, I might be able to get it cheaper (connections and all that wink wink)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 13:31 - 12 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon immobilisers are of some value, my bike had it's ignition ripped out and was actually nicked by pikeys in a previous life (owner went round the corner, found it, retrieved it, hopefully kicked seven shades of shit out of them...) - it hadn't gone far cos they couldn't start it.

Of course, all of this somewhat depends on where you live - I threw security at mine cos it's living on street in the middle of London. If I had a nice secure garage I probably wouldn't have bothered so much. Smile

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 13:36 - 12 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of TPO, I was TPO on my previous CBR that got stolen (in a highly populated street... no one saw anything, I can't imagine an alarm would have helped either).

Granted, I lost £2000, but I transferred my insurance immediately to the new bike, kept my no claims and my policy, and won't have to admit any claims. It was the hassle free option for me. Admittedly, I have upgraded my insurance to TPFT (because it cost no extra when I transferred the insurance).

At the end of the day I'm trusting an alarmed garage, lots of chains and disc brakes. Hopefully, if we can persuade the land lords at Cardiff, I may be looking at a ground anchor and a wakking 6' barbed wire, padlocked, gate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:09 - 12 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a £50 Sola-larm on mine. I had a £300 Meta on the last bike and admittedly it seemed to be decent quality, never had any false alarms or hassle, but I didn't need to use it in anger either. The Blade already has Honda's HISS fitted, which is an immobilizer only and gives me an insurance discount. I fitted the Sola-larm for that little extra bit of help and for something that made a noise as a deterrent. They constantly get RiDE best buys, are easy to fit and I've not had any problems with it yet. It's also not as intergrated as some, so if I do get problems with it I can just rip it out.

I also have a couple of big locks and a decent disk lock that I make sure I always put on when I'm not using it for a while. The best security is really the physical sort and a decent lock and chain and something as equally strong to lock it too can't be beat. The ground anchor is going in when the house is ready too.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 111 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2