Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Getting the arse out

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 02:56 - 07 Feb 2008    Post subject: Getting the arse out Reply with quote

How do you do it? How come supermotos are always seen doing it? is it easier to do one on a supermoto style bike. Is it similar to drfting a car? i.e. just trying to lose traction to the rear wheel by shifting weight or locking the wheel?

Kiss_My_Rs
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 05:37 - 07 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Secret is not to lock your back break.

The following info was transferred from:

www.veggie-dave.co.uk/supermotard/faq.html

Now we come to the best thing about riding a supermotard bike - sliding it into corners. If you ride a two-stroke 'motard you'll find this technique very difficult indeed, but on four-strokes it's actually pretty easy ... once you've got over the fear of sliding a bike around, anyway, as it goes against every road rider's idea of how to ride. The first thing you need to do is find a nice quiet road with little, if any, traffic that, preferably, has a side road for you to slide in to. Now, ride up to the corner and take the racing line into it. Hopefully this corner is a first or second gear turn. If it isn't take a line in to it that makes it one as you don't won't to be going too fast at this point. When you're happy with your racing line, again race up to this corner, but this time leave your braking until pretty late so that you're taking the turn in a racing manner. As you approach the turn you want to be in at least one gear higher than you need. As you hit the brakes (both of them, not just the front) select the gear for the corner and then release the clutch lever - no going through each separate gear or blipping the throttle between changes ala road racing - and you should feel the rear start to slide controllably. You shouldn't need much rear brake as you want the wheel to continue to turn as it slides sideways. If you feel the rear wheel juddering (you'll instantly recognise the feeling if/when it happens) then you're in too low a gear for your entry speed - feather the clutch slightly and it will go away. And that's it. Overcome your fear of sliding, add a little practise and you too can look like Stephane Chambon. Hey, I said look, not be as quick as...

element
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:23 - 08 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiss_My_Rs wrote:

that the right link?. takes me to a search engine junk...

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:29 - 08 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve played with this a bit, though oddly more on road bikes than supermoto style ones – so no, it doesn’t have to be one, but if you get good trying to keep a 100kg bike with good lock in control is going to be a bit easier than a fat 200kg bike.

Drifting a car is usually (but not always) done by making the wheels go faster than the road speed.

To initiate sliding (at least ‘backing it in’) on a motorbike you usually try and get the rear wheel spinning slower than the road speed.
As described above, you’re doing it by knocking down a gear using engine braking to get the rear out. You only use the rear brake to make sure the road speed doesn’t catch up with the rear wheel speed –locking up is going to find you sliding on other bits of the bike.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 73 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1