Joined: 01 Feb 2002
|Posted: 20:00 - 18 Jan 2004 Post subject: Rules & Guidelines for posting on BCF [PLEASE READ!]
Welcome to Bike Chat Forums! Please take a moment to read and remember these rules to make sure your stay with us is a pleasant one.
Thou shall not spam!
- Commercial advertising in posts is not allowed and will be removed. Please contact the admin to enquire about sponsoring the forum instead, many options are available including sponsored threads / banners / links and proceeds from advertising go directly into paying BCF's hosting bills.
- Private adverts for bikes/accessories are allowed in the Exchange & Mart: Bikes & Accessories, Offroad & Supermoto, and Racing & Trackdays sections.
Signing up specifically to post a classified ad in these sections is allowed as a new user.
- Private adverts for non-bike related items are allowed in the Exchange & Mart: Everything else section from regular users only.
Signing up specifically to post a classified ad in this section is not allowed as a new user.
- Regular users of the forum are allowed to promote their private business in their signatures / profiles but shill accounts specifically created for this purpose will be removed! Please remember that the more your signature sounds like just an advert, the more likely your posts are to be marked as spam by other users.
- Please note: In order to deter link spammers, all outgoing links in posts/signatures/profiles are tagged rel=nofollow and provide absolutely zero SEO benefit. If you would like a clean link, please get in touch regarding forum sponsorship instead.
Thou shall post in the correct section
Please make sure when starting a new topic that you post it in the correct section. If your topic has to be moved by a moderator, your karma rating will suffer. Just because a topic is likely to be seen by more people in a particular section, doesn't mean it belongs there!
- Topics regarding news from the biking world belong in the Biking News forum.
- Questions from newbie riders and "Which bike is for me?" type threads go in the New Bikers bit.
- Mechanical help Qs & As belong in The Workshop.
- "For Sale" and "Wanted" ads belong in Exchange & Mart, unless they are better suited to one of the special interests sections (Racing, Supermoto, etc).
- Topics about events belong in Outings & Excursions, unless the event is a local one and would be better suited to a regional forum section (South East, Scotland, etc).
- Everything else to do with bikes goes here: General Bike Chat.
- Topics related to the forum belong in Feedback, Suggestions, Bug Reports.
- Topics which have nothing to do with bikes should be posted in the Offtopic Chat section.
Thou shall not abuse avatars & signatures
The rules concerning your avatar and sig are set out on the profile page. Please read them and stick to them, otherwise your avatar or signature will be removed and your karma rating will suffer accordingly.
Thou shall not post NSFW images
This one's very simple: don't do it, it's an instant ban.
Thou shall learn to spell
Your writings here are your representation of yourself. If you come across as an illiterate seven year old, you will be treated as one. Please take the time to spell check and proof read your posts, there's no rush.
Thou shall not ask pointless questions
If you have a question to ask, please take a few moments to look through the FAQ section and use the search function. Often you will find that your question has been asked and answered before.
Thou shall try to fit in
When you're new, things are difficult. You will often find the regulars posting things that you don't understand or cracking jokes that seem completely alien to you. If you try to get to know these people, and not rush into trying for Mr Popular, you'll find you get on with us much better. Hang around a while, come to a meetup or two and you'll soon find yourself one of the gang.
Thou shall not abuse the forum
Registering multiple user names or trying to break into other users' accounts are not allowed. Neither is misuse of the relationships / ratings system or other such karma trickery. The mods have seen it all by now and you won't get away with it, so do yourself a favour and don't bother trying.
If you have any questions you can ask one of these people: Korn, G, Kickstart, Bendy, Stinkwheel. Have fun!
3516 Miles, 11 Countries
Last edited by Korn on 18:58 - 24 Jan 2014; edited 19 times in total
Joined: 01 Feb 2002
|Posted: 00:53 - 19 Jan 2004 Post subject:
Why and when to use Post Rating buttons
Ratings are to be used in context to the content of the post, not the posts after or before it, or the poster. Also bear in mind that the way you use the post rating buttons can have an effect on your own karma, so use them wisely... No vendettas, cliques or scams please! For more details read this guide.
3516 Miles, 11 Countries