Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

KTM EXC 125 or 200?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

konrad565
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:00 - 13 Feb 2008    Post subject: KTM EXC 125 or 200? Reply with quote

Ok thanks to 'G' I have changed my mind again and have decided (for now) to go for a KTM EXC.

But I'm not sure which one to go for the 125 or the 200?

It will be my first bike, It would be good to be able to ride on a decent sized A-road (A38) for a while (about 30mins) at around 70mph. (Can the 125 manage that?) but will be doing a fair bit of green laning so if larger A-roads are out of the question, so be it!

This is going to be a bike purely for weekends so its not going to be used for getting to work etc. as I work too far away from home.

Also as I'm new to the world of bikes so, for the KTMs mention above whats the maintenance like? Is it fairly simple to keep on top of things with basic knowledge?

Thanks in advance and sorry about any really dumb questions,

Konrad

Eddie Hitler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 13 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it will need regular maintenance, and iI would go for the 200.

konrad565
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:07 - 13 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie Hitler wrote:
No, it will need regular maintenance, and iI would go for the 200.

Ok regular maintenance... Can a novice do it at home?? (If I was to read manuals and ask on here etc)

You'd go for the 200 why??

Eddie Hitler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:36 - 13 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because the idea of keeping a 125 pinned for 30 miles on a dual carrigeway doesnt appeal..

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:01 - 13 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't see much point in getting the 200 over the 125, unless you're tring to enter a 125cc class or want something you can /really/ thrash.

As far as I know, the 200 is just the 125 with a bigger top end, the rest of the bike should be pretty much the same Smile.

Think service intervals are something like 45 hours (do check this, though). May sound nasty, but that's quite a lot of day's riding worth if it's just being used for weekend fun.
With a bit of practice most of the maintenance should be fine for even a novice at it all. Changing rings/pistons is a bit nastier, but because it's pretty simple, shouldn't cost too much to pay someone else to do it.

konrad565
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:40 - 13 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Don't see much point in getting the 200 over the 125, unless you're tring to enter a 125cc class or want something you can /really/ thrash.

I'm assuming you mean ''Don't see much point in getting the 125 over 200''

But thanks again for the advice G. Even though I've kind of increased my budget now cause the KTMs are little pricier oh well you only live once! Very Happy Laughing

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:51 - 13 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, yes that is what I meant Smile.

You can get older KTMs for that kind of price.
The 87 KTM 350 enduro I think I mentioned before cost me £350. Ok it wasn't perfect nick and didn't have Mot etc (but did have V5), however it did me fine for a while and I sold it for little less than that, while keeping some of the spares I got with it.

Jenkinz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:08 - 13 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both look great but when i was looking for what 125 to get I was advised that a KTM wouldn't be a very good first proper bike as there a bit more unforgiving that other 125s? Is that right or not really

Kiss_My_Rs
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:12 - 13 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are competition race bikes. So yes, there quite a handful compared to other road 125's. Dont let that put you off tho. There a fantastic bike.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 75 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1