Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Jumping question

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:28 - 03 Feb 2008    Post subject: Jumping question Reply with quote

I've been wondering about this for some time as when I've hit bumps on the road at different speeds different stuff happens.

Lets say you're hitting the same jump 3 times at 30mph. Does where you are in the power and what you're doing with the throttle affect the outcome of the jump? I know that braking and giving a bike some revs while airborne pitches the bike but lets say you hit it 3 different ways at 30mph.

Would it be any different if on the first go you hit it at 30mph right on the power under hard acceleration. Then on the second go you held a steady 30mph for a while before the jump and took off on positive throttle (at 30mph). Then on the last go at the jump if you were decelerating from a higher speed but still hit the jump at 30mph.

I was just wondering really Smile

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:37 - 03 Feb 2008    Post subject: Re: Jumping question Reply with quote

It shouldn't make much difference - though I can see hitting it while braking being 'interesting'.

Jumps are also affected by various other things - such as body position (I believe you're 'supposed' to kinda push down on the pegs at the bottom of the jump).

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 03 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you close the throttle as you launch the front wheel is likely going to try to land well before the back, potentially resulting in over-the-bars shenanigans. Cracking the throttle open just before launching would have the adverse effect, and general acceleration towards and off the jump should be fine. If I remember right.

element
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 04 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like to compress the forks then lean back before launching..

also from experience, hitting the jump at 30 is a bit different to travelling at 20 then accelerating hard before hitting the jump.

gotta love speed bumps Thumbs Up Mr. Green Mr. Green

prawny1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:50 - 27 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

here are my thoughts on hopping speed bumps,

steady speeds= front wheel goes over fine and bike lifts the back wheel as it is bounced over the bump.

accelerating at max power= front end will probably come up after hitting the bump, but will slam down as the rear hits the bump and slows the bike.

decelerating over bump= Probably some head shake at that speed, but bike probably wont jump as the wieght will be set more on the front wheel, the rear may even slide ala super moto, as the rear decelerates if it does lift and then recontacts the road with even greater engine braking from the lower revs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 63 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1