Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hard Shoulder use to extend to rest of UK.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 19:33 - 03 Mar 2008    Post subject: Hard Shoulder use to extend to rest of UK. Reply with quote

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7275004.stm

I have used the M42 many times since this was brought in and I think it is a good idea.

However no-one ever really uses the hard shoulder I have found.

It's also a pain in the arse at junctions.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 03 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope i dont break down is all i will say,

Fair enough the little lights will change once an accident has been reported and confirmed and then filtered through all the channels it has to go through, It sounds like the moments after an accident or breakdown will be very dangerous on motorways now...

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:47 - 03 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I hate those bits. Just feel, well, numb when using them with the reduced limit and hard shoulder running. The signs generally say to only use the hard shoulder if you are going off at the next exit.

Basically a real cheapskate way of increasing motorway capacity. What is really required is a bit of effort in building new and desperatly required motorways.

All the best

Keith

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 20:34 - 03 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's never going to happen though Keith, Labour will never inject money into road building, even though it would reduce emissions by a huge amount.

However apparantly there are still plans to upgrade the M6 from Stafford to the M6 toll to as many as 6 lanes each way. Shocked That would be confusing as hell. Laughing

As for an accident happening, I presume in an accident with your normal three lanes in operation, nobody is going to be passing the scene very quickly. You'd have to have a major breakdown to not make the designated refuse areas that are every 500m.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:44 - 03 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon B wrote:
However apparantly there are still plans to upgrade the M6 from Stafford to the M6 toll to as many as 6 lanes each way. Shocked That would be confusing as hell. Laughing

What is needed is something to bypass the M6 totally. Maybe a motorway down from Liverpool through Chester down to Telford (traffic can get onto the M54 to head to the M6) and then on round the edge of the Birmingham area, joining with the M5 somewhere around the M42 junction.

The M6 is already a mess and the M6 Toll doesn't help much (partly because someone decided that the M6 Toll which carries a pathetic amount of traffic has priority over the M6 which carries far more traffic at the junctions).

Jon B wrote:
As for an accident happening, I presume in an accident with your normal three lanes in operation, nobody is going to be passing the scene very quickly. You'd have to have a major breakdown to not make the designated refuse areas that are every 500m.

If the hard shoulder is in use then it will be 4 lane operation. OK, that will be at dawdle speed, with many of the drivers having driften off to sleep a few junctions earlier. But it would not take that much of a major breakdown. Big end goes or a cam belt snaps and you will be lucky to make it to the hard shoulder, let alone 500m to a refuge.

All the best

Keith

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 20:49 - 03 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah you have a valid point on all accounts.

The UK motorway network is largely an unfinished entity, first stalled during the 70's and then the 90's. Heck it was lucky that the M40 from Oxford to the M42 was done before Labour were in power, otherwise everyone would still be going up the M1 and M6 from London to Birmingham.

I suppose now all we can do is wait and see what happens regarding personal transport, if a viable car is produced that will be around for the long term, then the government in power will have no choice but to upgrade every motorway in the UK.

Interestingly enough the M69 that goes from Coventry to Leicester was supposed to extend southwards all the way to the M50 junction at Strensham on the M5. That would have eased a lot of congestion around Birmingham for sure.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:01 - 03 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

problem is a lack of will not engineering posibilties.

My solution would be prefab concrete roads made in china to double or triple deck the motorway network.

https://www.hel2.fi/kkansl/jugendsali/Nayttelyt/Kaunis%20Kiina/3.jpg

Sort of like above I've been on that bridge in Shanghai on a bus with a mad driver.

you can effectively have the T columns like in the above pic planted into the middle of the motorways (moving all the lanes out a bit and eating slightly into the shoulder) and have a deck above and below, need more capacity build a triple deck , need more capacity? , build a 4th deck.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:06 - 03 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats one of the better ideas i have heard,

but if the government are too cheap to extend the current motorways to 4+ lanes then what chance is there of them forking out for essentially another entire motorway on top existings ones, I also assume entire stretches of motorway would need to be closed for construction, what about drainage?

But i do like the idea, it just seems like its asking a major committment from a government that is unwilling to make any committments unless they involve shafting students and Iraq's...

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:16 - 03 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

a good idea would be to learn how to use the bloody roads in the first place. Most motorways have three lanes but drivers only use one or two.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:05 - 04 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Congestion's down and traffic flows are smoother, but crucially, because the traffic goes down to 50 mph, air pollution went down, carbon emissions went down and accidents went down."

Laughing

Well some @bcf will disagree. Razz

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 10:17 - 04 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Most of those come easily when you add an extra lane!

Try it though. It is just unpleasant. And the lack of difference in speed just encourages the centre lane owners club.

As to deaths. There are (2005 figures) 2201.88 miles of motorway, and the M42 bit using the hard shoulder is 11 miles long. So roughly 1/2% of the motorway network . From 1994 – 2004, 124 people were killed and 1355 were injured in accidents involving vehicles on the hard shoulder. As such you would expect a death on a section that long every 16 years and a serious injury every 1.5 years. In other words it is hardly a large enough number to yet be statisticaly relevant.

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 60 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1