Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Budget Calculator 2008

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 19:42 - 12 Mar 2008    Post subject: Budget Calculator 2008 Reply with quote

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/629/629/7290230.stm

Over the year I am going to be £2.95 worse off. Laughing
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:56 - 12 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll said it before and I shall say it again , the devil is in the detail ,

he is still pushing through road pricing , namely as the company that it going to be bidding on it has paid the nulabour government a huge bribe.

crap I just realised something through promotion I'm now the company tax expert , means I'm going to be innudated with 100s of calls asking how it affects them...

bleh
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Keir
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 12 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

im £293 better off. Thumbs Up

still, i wont be voting for labour at the election. Middle Finger
Previous: '99 Honda CBR 600FX, 03 ZX636 B1H, 99 Fazer 600 (red), 02 GSX-R 600 K2, 00 SV650s (red), 2008 ZX10R, 97 Bandit 1200N, 04 ZX6RR K1H, 04 GSX-R 1000, 98 Fazer 600 (gold), 05 Madness 110 Pit bike, 04 CR125R, 00 SV650s (black), 06 KTM 625 SMC, 99 SRAD 600 track bike, 03 SV650, 98 Bandit 1200N, Bandit 600SY, 03 GSX-R 600 K3, 01 GSX-R 600, 01 Fazer 600 (black), VFR 400 NC30 x3, 78 Honda Dream, 00 Speedfight 50

SoND
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 12 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I stay at my current wage I'll be £86.26 worse off but when I get a pay rise i'll be £10.26 worse off. Why is it worse for people who earn less money?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:19 - 12 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next year, the indications are that you will be £40.06 better off.

Dunno how it came to that conclusion but I'm not going to argue. Smile

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:24 - 12 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats funny I posted that on another forum,

it is worse for lower paid people because zanulabour loves regressive taxes, thus a person who earned 10K in 07/08 on the 4000ish they earn above the personal allowance they pay 10% on the first 2000 ie £200 then 22% on the next £3000

660+200 = £860!

From April

The same person will get 5500 tax free then the next 4500 will be paid at 20% = £900 £40 worse off!.

Regression is also bad in terms of consumption:

Lets say I earn 50K , and you earn 20K , we both say consume 1000 litres of petrol , lets say 86% tax, simply ay £1 (its not but its easier to calc)

The person who earns 20K pays £860
The person who earns 50K also pays £860.

But the person who earns 20K pays 0.043% of their income in tax

The person who earns 50K pays 0.0172 of their income in tax, thus the person who earns less pays effectively 250% more tax as a proportion of their income as tax.

As said this plays out when you consider food, utilities, council tax, clothing , and all consumer goods.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

LeeR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:01 - 12 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

£441.32 better off, and about time too. Cool

Scouse
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 12 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Next year, the indications are that you will be £1733.6 better off

Better than a kick up the bum I suppose.

queen of string
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:46 - 12 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

186 better off not sure how that works given the hike in corporation tax. It's my company, they take more in tax, ok it's not a personal tax, but it's my company so it feels like it is Confused

jimbothe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:35 - 13 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Next year, the indications are that you will be £1132.57 better off.

Thats apparently with tax credits which I dont get because I dont live with my kids and I earn too much for them Confused

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:43 - 13 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

£256.96 better off - from income tax (not sure how it came to that conclusion though).

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 02:12 - 13 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently we are going to be £320 better off but I'm buggered if can I understand how!

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:58 - 13 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing That budget calculator is laughable.

I've no idea how anyone thinks they're actually going to be better off, considering every indicator says we're entering a financial shit storm. Still, as long as the beeb website says you're okay, then you're okay, huh?

Confused

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 11:12 - 13 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

That calculator takes into account the changes in PAYE I imagine which come into force next tax year. There was a lot of bleating about how it was disguised as just more tax, but the long and short of it is that if you earn over £16,000 then you will be better off because of it.

That's why it says everyone's going to be better off, because I assume you earn over £16,000 and are therefore taxed less.

Dragonfly
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:05 - 13 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

£92.23 nice one. Least I am not worse off.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 12:08 - 13 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only worse off because I don't earn over £5k a year and alcohol has gone up. Laughing
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:31 - 13 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

queen of string wrote:
186 better off not sure how that works given the hike in corporation tax. It's my company, they take more in tax, ok it's not a personal tax, but it's my company so it feels like it is Confused

You own a limited company - is that correct?

There are loads of ways you can get your capital out and save tax, Itchy, i'm sure, will tell you.

Dragonfly
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:36 - 13 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh crap I done mine again as I was wrong the first time and it came up £35.56 worse off Confused And I dont even drink!

SoND
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:09 - 13 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

carvell wrote:
That's why it says everyone's going to be better off, because I assume you earn over £16,000 and are therefore taxed less.

Maybe this is why lots of people would rather claim benefits than work a minimum wage job to have it all taken away by tax that's designed to target the already struggling population.

Al
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 14 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

When they first gave details of the new tax system I was happy as it would have made me a bit better off.
But since then I've changed jobs and started an apprenticeship, now I'm going to be £80 worse off for my troubles Sad (plus a 50% pay cut, plus a massive increase in council tax, gas and electric)
Although most of that £80 that I'll be losing probably comes on the 4p to be added to a pint of beer Laughing

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter

PostPosted: 14:55 - 15 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main factor on that calculator is the income tax changes, the scrapping of the 10% band and reduction of the 22% to 20%. Which I think makes anyone earning less than about 15k worse off anyone earning more better off. The other main thing is benefits which are getting hiked. The only way I'll be better off is via income tax, but the fact fuel is going up constantly regardless of duty increases, council tax is going up etc etc I have no doubt i'll end up paying more for the same as lastyear.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:00 - 16 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

carvell wrote:
That calculator takes into account the changes in PAYE I imagine which come into force next tax year. There was a lot of bleating about how it was disguised as just more tax, but the long and short of it is that if you earn over £16,000 then you will be better off because of it.

16000? ,

I worked it out on this horribly complex excel sheet on a boring Thursday afternoon and the even point was £18999.56.

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 20:42 - 16 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually £17,000, so we're both nearly there!

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6479145.stm

https://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42714000/gif/_42714295_inc_tax_nic_compare_416gr.gif

Weedy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:52 - 16 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

£107 worse off.....I haven't got a bike, a car, I don't drink and don't smoke. That's bloody lovely that is! Rolling Eyes

Louise
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:24 - 17 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

£157 Better off
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 47 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1