Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Anyone got a SXV 550?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

Valver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:10 - 17 Feb 2008    Post subject: Anyone got a SXV 550? Reply with quote

Or had a go on one? Seriously interested in what this machine is like to live with. Love the thought of a twin for a change instead of pesky old singles.

Cheers Thumbs Up

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:29 - 17 Feb 2008    Post subject: Re: Anyone got a SXV 550? Reply with quote

valver wrote:
Or had a go on one? Seriously interested in what this machine is like to live with. Love the thought of a twin for a change instead of pesky old singles.

Cheers Thumbs Up

Apparently its all good, but it needs servicing every 60 hours according to Aprilia. Some experts believe this service interval is too large. IIRC some owners service the bike every 30 hours... Shocked

So I don't think its a daily driver as such...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kiss_My_Rs
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:02 - 17 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also go for the 450 over the 550 Thumbs Up

Great piece of engineering.

Kiss_My_Rs
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:03 - 17 Feb 2008    Post subject: Re: Anyone got a SXV 550? Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
valver wrote:

Cheers Thumbs Up

Apparently its all good, but it needs servicing every 60 hours according to Aprilia. Some experts believe this service interval is too large. IIRC some owners service the bike every 30 hours... Shocked

Even at 30 hours, that turned into miles on the road is quite a good serive interval.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:22 - 17 Feb 2008    Post subject: Re: Anyone got a SXV 550? Reply with quote

As I've mentioned before, seem overweight with a rather smooth powerdelivery. Haven't ridden one myself, but know those that have raced them (road, not supermoto racing).
Overweight probably won't worry most people, and the long-revving sewing-machine engine may be a bonus in a lot of situations, but just seems to lose out on a lot of the reasons I'd want a stupid-supermoto for.

If you want something different, consider a 300cc+ 2 stroke for seriously light weight road fun.

Last edited by G on 17:23 - 17 Feb 2008; edited 1 time in total

Valver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:37 - 17 Feb 2008    Post subject: Re: Anyone got a SXV 550? Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

30 hours is still 15x better than my previous bikes which is why i'm so keen! It'd be a second road bike for me not a race tool and only used for a sunday blast around the Spey valley.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 18:31 - 17 Feb 2008    Post subject: Re: Anyone got a SXV 550? Reply with quote

Kiss_My_Rs wrote:
Even at 30 hours, that turned into miles on the road is quite a good serive interval.

Suspect road average speed could easily be around 30 so that is 900 mile service intervals.

All the best

Keith

Valver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:44 - 17 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had road average speed being pegged at more like 80mph in my neck of the woods so more like 2400miles Thumbs Up

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:06 - 17 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

valver wrote:
I had road average speed being pegged at more like 80mph in my neck of the woods so more like 2400miles Thumbs Up

Including in 30 limits, waiting at junctions, waiting for an overtaking opportunity, etc?

All the best

Keith

Kiss_My_Rs
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:22 - 17 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

End of the day its a competition race bike. So you should expect to service it frequently.

A lot of people seem to forget what these bikes are designed for.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:25 - 17 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiss_My_Rs wrote:

Yep, such as those who want to buy them for regular road use.

All the best

Keith

Valver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:41 - 17 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiss_My_Rs wrote:
End of the day its a competition race bike. So you should expect to service it frequently.

I know what you're saying but my Husky SM610R had an oil and filter change every 2-300miles and managed 6000miles in the summer of 2006. A run from Grantown on Spey to Kyle of lochalsh would take just over an hour and a half including a half way fuel stop and using B roads whenever possible rather than A's. The route I use is about 130miles.
It did eventually go pop, bending a valve and leaving stranded 20miles from home but it held up pretty well for having no real servicing.

Kiss_My_Rs
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:49 - 17 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best place to ask is over at VD as quite a number of people on there use them on the road.

Genral consensors is the 450 is the better/stronger out the two for road.

If your prepared to look after it and im sure you are then go for it.

When i go for my next bike there is two that are in the front line.

SXV450
FS650

But they will be used mainly on the track, with the odd mile or two on the road.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:48 - 17 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Owners manual for the SVX is here:-

https://www.servicemotoguzzi.com/public/lumAprilia/RXV%20SXV%20450-550/854029%20RXV-SXV%20450-550%20UK-NL%202007.pdf

Service schedule starts at page 151. Engine oil and filter (and also the seperate gearbox oil) is down to be changed at 3000km 3 / hours . The 9000km / 90 hour service is basically an engine rebuild (new pistons and rings for example. The mileage based service intervalvs are for road use. The first time based intervals are for "hobby sport" use. For race use the major service (ie, engine rebuild) is at 45 hours use, with the oil change at 3 hours use.

All the best

Keith

AusAndy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 03:48 - 03 Mar 2008    Post subject: sxv 550 Reply with quote

we have a riding mate that had one. I reckon they are one of the best looking dirtbikes ive seen, the rear swingarm is a work of art... BUT.. we met up at a shop on a ride and i watched as he filled it up, to the brim with petrol, after less than 20 km, ( i think about 15) he topped up again at a last stop before a long stretch, and it took 1.7 litres, i was amazed, add to this, i was able to see noticeable wear on his back tyre in that distance ( i am not joking, numerous witnesses) over the next 30 km, the indicators fell off, but the dealer did recommend a different set before off road riding... when we finished our first day of a 3 day ride (398 km) he went to check his air filter, which appeared to be exactly the same as the unit in my 6hp Briggs and stratton lawn mower, only to find it had sucked a hole in the filter...

I was dissapointed for him, as i reckon they seem like a great thing... granted it was the first of a model, so teething issues should be expected... but the dealer now no longer offers a waranty with them and will not be re stocking, which is a shame and with refinement and development, i think they will be a complete animal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chrisstone
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:43 - 23 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are fast and the lightest thing on the market service not that bad if can do it yourself
but there is nothing else to compare with speed and power except for sports bike there that good look mine pics in gallery
i ve had mine from new on the road and race track and it shocks the hell out of sports bikes

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:56 - 23 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisstone wrote:
they are fast and the lightest thing on the market

Erm, I thought they were about the heaviest thing on the market for this type of bike Confused.

The 08 is down to a listed 113kg I think, from 120 or something the years before which is quite impressive considering the extra complex engine.
That's still only the same as the KTM and heavier than the listed Husaberg weight.
Also way off the 2 strokes; where you're talking around 100kg listed for the latest 250s.

As Kiss suggests, the Huaberg FS650 should be pretty comparable in speed and power; a little less power, but doesn't need to be revved as much to get it, I believe.

chrisstone
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:13 - 23 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

had husaberg good bike shit to start sometimes but know where near the sxv in real terms power and ride or brakes but good bike
i had supermoto for years ive got
tdr 250
cr500
xr650 which have just sold
sxv 550
i tried the new ktm & husky but they just dont compare
ok sxv a bit more expensive to run but just so much more worth it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 30 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1