Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What would you need to make an off road bike road legal?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Offroad & Supermoto by G (16 Mar 2008 - 12:32)
View previous topic : View next topic  

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:31 - 16 Mar 2008    Post subject: What would you need to make an off road bike road legal? Reply with quote

As far as I am aware to make an off road bike such as a CR250 road legal you would need a chainguard, speedo and a quieter exhaust.

Obviously lights and indicators are good but they aren't essential as the bike could be made for day time use only.

Have I missed anything?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:37 - 16 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Electric horn.

Lighting requirements are here:-

https://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_19891796_en_6.htm#nschiobligatorylampreflectorrearmarkingdevice

Although I suspect that isn't all of them.

All the best

Keith

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:51 - 16 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

That table is for vehicles with 3 or more wheels.

Quote:
Motor vehicle having three or more wheels not being a vehicle to which any other Table in this Schedule applies

It goes on about the vehicle being 1300mm wide Laughing

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:04 - 16 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

ms51ves3 wrote:
That table is for vehicles with 3 or more wheels.

And half way down the page there is another table for "TABLE II Solo motor bicycle and motor bicycle combination".

All the best

Keith

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:06 - 16 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missed that Embarassed

How could I have ever doubted you Keith? Very Happy

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:14 - 16 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

It may well be incomplete though. There is a note in there that nothing in those docs should be taken as saying that :-

Doc wrote:

(3) Nothing in these Regulations shall require any lamp or reflector to be fitted between sunrise and sunset to-

(a) a vehicle not fitted with any front or rear position lamp,

yet it says that a rear position lamp is required without any exemptions.

All the best

Keith

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:18 - 16 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

So in theory I wouldn't really have to do much to have a bike that I could green lane as long as I didn't ride it at night.

See I would really like a 2 stroke off road bike that I can ride to the lanes and then blast around. Nearly all road legal ones are 4 strokes.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:47 - 16 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Depends if you can persuade a tester to give you an MOT on it despite the lack of lights, get away with registering it on that.

Suspect you would still be commiting a shed load of construction and use regulations.

All the best

Keith

.Chris.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:53 - 16 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the bike was less than 10 years old then you'd probably have to put it through an MSVA. Good news is that 2-strokes only have to pass a visual emissions check - although that seems hugely subjective to me given that a stroker will produce some smoke as a result of its design.

There's a little guide to it here. Basically it seems like a super-MOT in that it tests the design and not just the condition of the bike.

Something like a CR250 would be pretty cool to have on the road, but I'm not sure how long the engine would last. 58bhp from a 250cc single is pretty extreme and similar in power to an RGV250, and we know how fragile they are!

element
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:11 - 16 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i got my dt mot'd i was told because it has a dual seat (designed to take passengers) i would need pillion pegs and a chain guard. If it was a single seat (im guessing u can safely say that a cr250 seat is for a single person) then you dont need pillion pegs or the chain guard.

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:36 - 16 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking at KLRs on ebay now. Probably more sensible. Cheap to insure too with it being £200 TPO.

Wiggy
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:19 - 17 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheels.

tony_d123
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:21 - 20 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Direct electrics (no battery) can be a bit feeble for powering horns. My KDX would only power a brake light by swapping to an LED bulb.

I got away without wiring a horn by fitting a 9v bicycle type. Just type in "Buddy Megahorn" on eBay or Google. I just strap it onto the bars at MOT time then take it off afterwards.

As far as I know, you don't need indicators if pillion pegs are not fitted. Most proper bike MOT centres (small one man bands are best) are fairly lenient with enduro type bikes.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:08 - 23 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not look at enduro 2 strokes?

There are plenty available and they come with the intention of being used on the road, so with lights etc.
Listed service intervals aren't as bad as the motorcross bikes either.

Chriss:
There are special rules for off road bikes (think they judge it on ground clearance or something) which means it's much easier to get an MOT with out messing about with SVAs etc.

element
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:38 - 24 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

tony_d123 wrote:

As far as I know, you don't need indicators if pillion pegs are not fitted. Most proper bike MOT centres (small one man bands are best) are fairly lenient with enduro type bikes.

u wont need indicators unless they are fitted as standard (according to the cop that stopped me) and if the seat is a single seat then you dont need pillion pegs. My DT was deamed as a dual seat since its designed to take passengers (according to MOT station). And yeh small MOT stations are slightly more lenient on enduros. Like slight buckles will just get an advisory and the slightly louder pipe and offroad tyres will get unoticed. The mot guys who tested my bike asked if my bike was generally used offroad Thumbs Up

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 17:05 - 24 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

element wrote:
u wont need indicators unless they are fitted as standard (according to the cop that stopped me)

Except that with very few exceptions indicators are required on any new bike registered after the mid 1980s.

All the best

Keith

ghettostan
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:06 - 24 Mar 2008    Post subject: Re: What would you need to make an off road bike road legal? Reply with quote

ms51ves3 wrote:
As far as I am aware to make an off road bike such as a CR250 road legal you would need a chainguard

are you sure you need a chain guard? Shocked i took mine off for about a week but pu it back on only becuase it doesnt look as nice Very Happy

but i dint think it was important... Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 35 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1