Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Are they having a laugh?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

andrew
Mister Road Rage

PostPosted: 12:07 - 27 Mar 2008    Post subject: Are they having a laugh? Reply with quote

From SWT's website:

Quote:
ASLEF drivers' union has announced that its South West Trains' driver members are planning to strike on four dates - March 31, April 1, 2 and 3.

ASLEF have announced the strike dates – which will run from 0001 on 31 March to 2359 on 3 April – over a pay dispute.

We met with ASLEF on Thursday 20 March for informal talks in an effort to avoid strike action, and another meeting is planned for next week. They have been offered a pay increase of 4.5% which would give a driver working in the London area a basic salary before overtime of £40,447 for a 37-hour, 4.4-day week.

https://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/SWT...rialaction.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:14 - 27 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

40k for driving a train. Rolling Eyes

I'm in the wrong job. Laughing

andrew
Mister Road Rage

PostPosted: 13:39 - 27 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's more annoying, is that they know they can't be sacked for going on strike.

Those wages are crazy for sitting on your arse all day pressing a few buttons.

I don't know what firemen get paid but i'm pretty sure your average fireman wont be getting anywhere near 40k and these f*ckers want more?

Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Keir
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 27 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

fireman, 27k after qualifying.

policeman 23k

its all shit but the drivers know they can hold everyone to ransom.
Previous: '99 Honda CBR 600FX, 03 ZX636 B1H, 99 Fazer 600 (red), 02 GSX-R 600 K2, 00 SV650s (red), 2008 ZX10R, 97 Bandit 1200N, 04 ZX6RR K1H, 04 GSX-R 1000, 98 Fazer 600 (gold), 05 Madness 110 Pit bike, 04 CR125R, 00 SV650s (black), 06 KTM 625 SMC, 99 SRAD 600 track bike, 03 SV650, 98 Bandit 1200N, Bandit 600SY, 03 GSX-R 600 K3, 01 GSX-R 600, 01 Fazer 600 (black), VFR 400 NC30 x3, 78 Honda Dream, 00 Speedfight 50

h00dwink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:37 - 27 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's something I know about, been working in the railway for about 3 years now. Working for Southern now.

The pay, as obscene an amount as it sounds, is pretty justified. There's more to driving a train than it looks. It isn't just sitting on your arse and pushing buttons for a few hours.
The vast amount that is dealt with on a journey (responsibility et al...), and the flak they get when things go tits up does justify the amount they get.

It is somewhere i'd like work towards, as it's the most ace pay I could imagine recieving with my education.

Striking is the only effective thing they can do. Otherwise the owners needn't listen to them. Like you've said also, they can't really get sacked as it would have a massive knock on effect, mostly financially.

Keir
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 27 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

h00dwink wrote:
The pay, as obscene an amount as it sounds, is pretty justified. There's more to driving a train than it looks. It isn't just sitting on your arse and pushing buttons for a few hours.
The vast amount that is dealt with on a journey (responsibility et al...), and the flak they get when things go tits up does justify the amount they get.

... because the police and firemen dont deal with anything like the amount of flak a train driver gets? Rolling Eyes
Previous: '99 Honda CBR 600FX, 03 ZX636 B1H, 99 Fazer 600 (red), 02 GSX-R 600 K2, 00 SV650s (red), 2008 ZX10R, 97 Bandit 1200N, 04 ZX6RR K1H, 04 GSX-R 1000, 98 Fazer 600 (gold), 05 Madness 110 Pit bike, 04 CR125R, 00 SV650s (black), 06 KTM 625 SMC, 99 SRAD 600 track bike, 03 SV650, 98 Bandit 1200N, Bandit 600SY, 03 GSX-R 600 K3, 01 GSX-R 600, 01 Fazer 600 (black), VFR 400 NC30 x3, 78 Honda Dream, 00 Speedfight 50

h00dwink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 27 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Police/Fire Brigade aren't a privatised industry, who is it they're competing against in terms of retaining staff?
Otherwise you could bet there would be changes.
In a more modern scenario, compare it to the poorly paid NHS staff who seem to find working for private practices more and more tempting.
Or the armed forces. I have massive respect for all those serving the country, especially those on the front line. The pay for them is sickeningly awful for what they do.
Hence why private protection rackets in the middle east pay so much to get the staff from others. Then they do well and get more protection contracts.

The pay was similar throughout the railway industry when it was purely British Railway. Privatisation changed a lot.

There's 3 examples of capitalism in good effect no?

Edit- It's not really comparable to be honest. One is state owned, another privately owned. The state one isn't bothered with competition. Nothing really changes for them however good or bad they do. They're paid for regardless.
The privately owned has to compete, so charges and pays more.

andrew
Mister Road Rage

PostPosted: 23:02 - 27 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is, you've backed up my problem with the whole thing. These people are going on strike for more money when they're already getting paid more than people doing much tougher jobs, like soldiers etc...

They want more money on top of an already massive salary and if they get what they want it will be left to the suckers to pay for it. Surely a pay rise on this scale means only one thing, more expensive railway services.

If they were paid the minimum wage i'd have some sympathy, as they're already on good money i'll stick to calling them a bunch of wankers!

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:00 - 28 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew wrote:
Thing is, you've backed up my problem with the whole thing. These people are going on strike for more money when they're already getting paid more than people doing much tougher jobs, like soldiers etc.

That's not their problem though really. They have no influence on what teachers/nurses etc get paid - that's the government's doing. (Teachers last year actually had a pay rise less than inflation: therefore they actually had a pay cut).

I've no problem with train driver's salaries. They often have weird working hours and can you guess who normally dies first in a train wreck? If the demand is there to pay the money then fair enough IMO.

As for striking, well I've got mixed feelings. We all know the privatised rail companies make an absolute fortune, with multi-million pound bonuses to the bosses each year, even if they get bailed out with tax money. A fecking joke, I tell thee.

I can therefore understand why the unions feel striking is an appropriate course of action; do we really think the rail bosses GAF about their employees? No, how many times have we heard of dangerous rails not being replaced leading to deaths? More pay? What do you think they'll say to that? Laughing

Really, we're all due a pay rise because of the (real) amount of inflation, perhaps the train drivers are just the first to ask for what's due? I know the NUT teachers union are voting on a one day walk out soon.

NSR125RR - ZXR750H1 - ZX9R E1 - GSF600S - GSF600SK3 - VFR400-NC30 - SV1000N - ST1100-R - CBR900RR-R - GSF1200SK5 - GSF600SK1 - VFR1200FA - GSXR1000K2 - ZZR1400 D8F
www.prisonplanet.com

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:00 - 28 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christ 40k a year,

How does one get into train/tube driving?

h00dwink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:54 - 28 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDonUK wrote:
Christ 40k a year,

How does one get into train/tube driving?

Get an entry level job in the company, take a few years of seperate jobs within and work your way up to it.
Is what i'm working towards at the moment. Such a good amount of money to earn regardless of eduction.

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 28 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Railways" and admin dont interest me in the slightest, is there not a driver training programme of some sort?

Kinda like the way the trian bus drivers...?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 33 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1