Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Vulcan to the sky

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic : View next topic  

king kong
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:55 - 28 Aug 2006    Post subject: Latest news Reply with quote

Thanks to so much response to the request for pledges and donations to fund ‘roll out' the crisis may well be overcome. Please continue to support and encourage all those who may be able to help to do so. With just a week to go your continued support is vital.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XH558 is now standing on her undercarriage. See the Vulcam for photos.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is with great regret that the Trustees of Vulcan to the Sky have been obliged to issue letters of termination of contract to the workforce at Bruntingthorpe and Wimborne.

Despite unremitting and continuing efforts to find a major benefactor or sponsor for the project, none has yet been identified. Escalating costs mean that a million pounds are still needed before the end of August if the aircraft is to be returned to flight next year.

Everything is still being done to find such a company or person but time is getting very short. To be unable to complete the project after so much has been given and so much achieved is little short of a tragedy; but, as has been said before, the combination of time lag, engineering cost uplift and no sponsor has so far rendered the task insurmountable.

£1M needs to be found NOW if we're to meet the target of flying for the Falklands Commemoration and the 2007 Air Display season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:52 - 31 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

https://www.vulcan558club.com/

zaknafien

PostPosted: 13:01 - 31 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

WildGoose wrote:
https://members.fortunecity.co.uk/colinspictures/images/aircraft/lightning/s001_096.jpg

Fortunecity doesn't like it when you hotlink. Razz

Is it meant to be a P-38?

king kong
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:49 - 31 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Britain's legendary Vulcan bomber is set to take to the skies again.

Organisers of a project to restore the Cold War plane are celebrating after securing enough funding to complete the work.

Enthusiasts working on the Avro Vulcan XH558 in Bruntingthorpe, Leicestershire, have spent eight years restoring the bomber and had planned test flights this summer.

But spiralling costs and the lack of a major sponsor earlier this month threatened to halt plans to rebuild the aircraft - which was retired by the RAF in 1984.

A spokesperson for the Vulcan To The Sky Trust said most of the money had been secured through thousands of individual pledges, ranging from £10 to £100, as well as a £500,000 anonymous donation.

The campaign even received royal approval, with the Prince of Wales conveying his good wishes for the continuing project.

Vulcan 'V'-bombers were long-range planes designed and built during the Cold War to carry the nuclear deterrent of the 50s and 60s.

XH558 is thought to be the only Vulcan in the world which could fly again.

It is hoped the plane will tour the country's flying shows for up to 15 years before being finally retired to the Imperial War Museum at Duxford.

Clapping Clapping Clapping Clapping Clapping Clapping Clapping Clapping Clapping Clapping
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

king kong
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:57 - 31 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

XH558 is yours!

The Nation has now acquired an awesome Heritage Asset, thanks to the generosity of the thousands of supporters of the campaign and the Heritage Lottery Fund, which has enabled Vulcan to the Sky Trust to purchase and begin restoration of this last iconic representative of the Cold War period.

Avro Vulcan XH558, now to be restored, belongs to the Nation – to you. To all and everyone who has ever bought a Lottery ticket and most particularly to all those who have donated to become Associates, Friends and Club members of Vulcan to the Sky, Congratulations and thank you. This is no mean achievement and many congratulations are in order. The way forward remains tortuous as has been the process of raising the funds, winning the HLF grant and continuing to raise the partnership funding and sponsorship to get XH558 airborne.

This is, however, a historic moment and the entire Nation, whether supporters, or not, cannot but applaud the courage and dedication of those thousands whose lives were inextricably bound up in the V-Force and the Cold War, whose childhoods were not only influenced but changed by the constant sound and sight of a deterrent force preparing itself to defend not just a nation but a western peace. There are those, too, who having once seen the mighty Vulcan in flight have never forgotten. This project will make a difference, not only will an awesome icon return to its rightful place in the sky but it will unleash a wealth of information and interpretative material to a generation that knows little of a ‘Cold War’ that kept the peace following the major conflicts. The Cold War was the single greatest initiative that never became ‘Hot’ but did not fail. XH558 and the Vulcan to the Sky Trust will bring alive the strategy and success of the time, and bring relevance and poignancy to those years that are so much a part of our history.

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:29 - 01 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the list of donations made by the public to keep the vulcan project going. lots of small businesses. One firm was missing tho. Bae systems and they made the bloody things. shocking.

king kong
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:22 - 01 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owdamer wrote:
I looked at the list of donations made by the public to keep the vulcan project going. lots of small businesses. One firm was missing tho. Bae systems and they made the bloody things. shocking.

They were made by Avro.

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 19:11 - 01 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chap that coughed up 500k is Sir Jack Hayward, the owner of Wolverhampton Wanderers football club.

Fair play to him.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/09/01/nvulcan01.xml

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 03 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

king kong wrote:
Owdamer wrote:

They were made by Avro.

Yes, but Avro dont exist anymore. They became part of Hawker Siddeley in 1963, and they they became part of British Aerospace in 1977. British Aerospace rebranded in 1999 and became Bae Systems.

The design office at Chadderton where the vulcan was designed is still there, although they are very few staff there now. No manufacturing takes place there anymore. It just got run down bit by bit over the last 10 years or so.

headgear
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:03 - 04 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owdamer wrote:
One firm was missing tho. Bae systems and they made the bloody things. shocking.

" Sir Michael said. The trust has raised £1.8 million through supporters, special events and payment in kind from the manufacturers,"

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 14:13 - 27 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=annkM6z1-FE

Thought i'd post this here, just found it...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Resurrection
Ballast Boy

PostPosted: 00:50 - 28 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owdamer wrote:
I made a few Vulcan parts in the early 80's at Bae systems in Chadderton. (or British Aerospace as it was then known).
I saw it fly a few times at the woodford airshow. Fantastic sight. I'll never forget the sound of it as it came in to land, touched the wheels on the runway then applied full power and shot up into the sky. The ground just shook, it was awesome!

My grandad used to work there and do that aswell.. You may of even known him

Res
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 199 days between these two posts...

syl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:47 - 14 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it appears to be flying again.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/7345852.stm

https://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44565000/jpg/_44565251_vulcan226.jpg

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:59 - 15 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Prestwick West Coast of Scotland when trials were done on Concord before going into service.
It seemed like we stood all afternoon watching a Vulcan and The Concord flying circuits of the BEA airstrip there.
One must never forget events such as these.

Those fucking arseholes (I Hand Picked those words BTW) BAA had Concord on Runway 1 at Heathrow and it could be seen by all as you were taking off.
It's been 'shoved' away to the back somewhere now and I haven't seen it for about a year or two.
Go to Paris Charles De Gaul. They have the Air France Concord on a display as though in a splendid mid-bank. RIGHT IN FRONT OF EVERYONE.....
The British are Shite at Showing off now a days.

***Rant Mode Suspended***

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:04 - 15 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:

Go to Paris Charles De Gaul. They have the Air France Concord on a display as though in a splendid mid-bank. RIGHT IN FRONT OF EVERYONE.....

Does it have authentic flames pouring out of the back?

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:18 - 15 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazza wrote:
Walloper wrote:

Does it have authentic flames pouring out of the back?

You my friend are a sick puppy. Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 15 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4