Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

NSR125 rear tyre removal

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Chuck100
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 02:22 - 11 Feb 2004    Post subject: NSR125 rear tyre removal Reply with quote

Hello all,

Having finally managed to sort out my electrical problems with my NSR125 (thanks for the help you guys gave, but my brother managed to find a new loom on eBay for £25 and sent it over to me for reference) I've found that the rear tyre is a little flat and don't want to ride it like that to a garage for fear of damaging the tyre wall (not to mention the instability of the whole thing).

I have just tried to remove the rear tyre (as I also need to tighten the chain) and only managed to get the bolt undone on the chain side of the wheel (after figuring out that you have to use the spanner extension do-dah to get extra leverage on the nut - D'oh).

I then couldn't get the nut undone on the exhaust side and was wondering if I need to or not, or whether you just push the bolt from the other side.

My next problem is then how do you get the wheel off (assuming that I can undo the other nut)? Do you push the wheel in towards the shock, lift off the chain to the left (as you look to the front of the bike), then just pull the wheel out? Will the rear caliper get in the way?

My last problem is that the screw poking out of the back plate of the swing-arm (right hand side) that's used to align the wheel seems to have snapped off. Is it ok to use a tape measure to align the wheel when it's back on, or do I need to find a new measuring screw?

Thanks in advance.

Chuck.

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 02:27 - 11 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Replace the measuring screw thing you need it anyway.

2) The left side, you'll find is actually the spindle, so it should just push through (Use a hammer to gently knock it through) Keep the wheel level as it'll make getting it out easier (as the spindle goes through wheel, the side will sag a bit which makes it difficult, same for when fitting it back in)

3) Best off removing the rear caliper, just unbolt it and slide it off the disc and support it out the way, don't remove from the bike though, no need.

4) When wheel is loose, push in towards shock, lift chain off and remove, repeat in reverse to re-fit it.

You'd be best off getting the wheels laser aligned at a garage anyway, only costs a tenner and is well worth the money, that's what I do anyway as I can then be sure wheels are perfectly aligned!

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 02:30 - 11 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, whilst wheel is off, perfect opportunity to give the rear shock and swing arm a proper clean, it's a difficult area to clean when wheel etc is in the way but it'll have loads of crud spat up by the wheel just corroding it all away. So you might as well give it a clean over.

Chuck100
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 02:36 - 11 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help Yams. Couple of questions though:

1) I live in the Caribbean and it's a little difficult to get new or used parts for the bike, so I'm not sure what to do about the screw. Will a tape measure suffice for the meantime?

2) Should I take the spindle all the way out, or leave it mostly in and slide the wheel back out of the swing-arm? I did try an knock it through with a hammer (gently mind) but it wouldn't budge. I've sprayed some WD40 on the bolt head (RHS) and hopefully it'll shift tomorrow.

3) It'll be a little difficult to get it laser aligned out here (see point 1), so I'm going to have to put up with a little less accuracy.

One other question, what are the best tyres (for hot weather and cr@ppy road surfaces, no really high speeds - limit is 50mph, and sometimes some very heavy rain) for the NSR125?

Thanks,

Chuck.

Chuck100
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 02:37 - 11 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing - is there any good way to give the chain a good clean, seeing as I'll have most of the stuff in that area out at that time?

Cheers,

Chuck.

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 11:21 - 11 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need that bolt to adjust your chain etc, so you'll have to get one.

The spindle needs to come all the way out, it shouldn't be too difficult though, try lifting the rear wheel slightly as might loosen it up a bit. Make sure your knocking it through from the other end by the way, I don't know anything about 125's or NSR's but most bikes you undo the left side nut then hit the left side through, as the right has is basically the spindle so won't go through the swing arm, if that makes sense? (Could be other way around though I think, doesn't matter, but it should be clear which way it needs to go through)

For your chain, clean it in paraffin and a toothbrush then re-lube it all up with non-fling chain wax.

No idea on tyres am afraid as I know bugger all about any bikes below 400cc's someone from here should help though!

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 11 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bridgestone BT45's are your best bet my friend.

Crash it for fun
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:38 - 11 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
Bridgestone BT45's are your best bet my friend.

I need to a get a new rear tyre and possbily a new front as well. How much can I expect to pay for BT45s (including fitting)?

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:45 - 11 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crash it for fun wrote:
I need to a get a new rear tyre and possbily a new front as well. How much can I expect to pay for BT45s (including fitting)?

Well if you ride the bike there they will probably charge you around £10-20 to fit the tyre and valves to the bike for you. I use Watling Tyres near me and the guy there is quite clued up on bikes.

BT-45's are about £65 for a front £90 odd for a rear IIRC

Chuck100
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:41 - 11 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks one and all for the advice...

Regarding the chain cleaning, is it essential that I use parrafin, or can I use something else? The only reason I ask is that I'm not sure if I'll be able to find any out here.

Where does one normally get parrafin? Would a chandlery, for instance, have some? Petrol station? DIY/Home improvement stores?

Thanks,

Chuck

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 22:24 - 11 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

DIY/home improvement stores etc have them

If not go to a bike shop and ask for some chain cleaning products or something.

I think you can use WD40 tho or white spirit but I'd double check first

chunkielad
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:39 - 12 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD40 is a bad idea as it kills the grease locked in the chain. Parafin is the best thing to use.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 79 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1