Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

gear4bikes.com - Avoid like the plague

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:35 - 13 Feb 2004    Post subject: gear4bikes.com - Avoid like the plague Reply with quote

I needed two fork seals for the TL, so I ordered from them on Monday over the phone from gear4bikes.com.

"Don't worry, we have them in stock, they'll be with you by Wednesday" they promised.

Come Tuesday, I have an invoice for them in the post, and they charge me for them. No seals. Oh well, bikes booked in on Wednesday they'll be here then.

Wednesday. No seals. No answer when trying to call them at between 2-4pm

Thursday. No seals. I called them at 4pm and spoke with someone who found it laughable that I asked if they offered a next day delivery service. He wouldn't accept that they might not have been posted, or got lost in the post, and said ring back next week if they havn't come. When I told him I had the bike booked in first on Wednesday, then on Thursday to have them changed, he said that wasn't their problem.

Friday. Bike booked in again, no seals in the post. Gonna speak to them in a bit. I consider this bad service.

So. Moral of the story is that I personally would not buy anything again from gear4bikes.com

https://www.asdz68.dsl.pipex.com/smile/wanka.gif

However... the shop I have been having the work booked at, have been very helpful, and have told me they'll get some Genuine Suzuki ones for early next week Thumbs Up Shop is called Maximum Throttle and they're in Fleet in Hampshire. Smile

Last edited by Ste on 09:02 - 05 Mar 2004; edited 3 times in total

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School

PostPosted: 14:07 - 13 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered something from gear4bikers a while back, it arrived ok afaik.

But I'll give them a miss from now on.

Ant
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:38 - 13 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, personally i've found them good too, they (on the 2 occasions that i've used them) post the items for next day and send the invoice a day or two after that, think you've just caught them on an off day mate!

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 14:48 - 13 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do some of you insist on buying from these shitty e-tailers?
If I need anything for my bike I call a local bike shop who get it next day and generally only charge me cost as they make money on the labour. They also get all 3rd party bits and can source pretty much anything I'm after (Tail light unit for an RF400?).
There are 2 that I used regularly so I'm sure you have one near you.

Ant
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:53 - 13 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is but the one... BikeTech in tamworth are complete useless wankers and overcharge you loads and the other is a main honda dealer which i use but its lots cheaper on some of these "shity" e-tailers

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:05 - 13 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste, not wanting to cause controversy (as is not my way Wink )
If I had booked my bike in for some work, I wouldn't buy the parts from an online retailer only a short period from when the work was booked.

I would either go into a shop and buy them myself so I could take them along when I drop the bike off, or get the people doing the work to get the parts. It seems a really silly way to go about things IMO.

The motorcycle parts centre in Reading can get you any parts and they are a reasonable price.

There was an article in PB recently by the bloke who owns NWS (Enid Puceflange I think he calls himself). He said that you have to be very careful with lambasting companies who provide services, on an online forum. He said that you never get to hear the good side and all it takes is one (out of thousands possibly) customer to say that they gave crap service to destroy the reputation of a company. Bear in mind that you did assume that your seals would arrive before the work was done, and you make no mention of asking them if they would be there on time. Also, courier companies are the worst timekeepers in history and so it might even be out of their control.

I'm not saying that they gave necessarily good or bad service, I'm saying that be careful what you say and try to give a balanced view rather than just saying "Oh, so and so a company are really rubbish... "

My Penny Coin Penny Coin Smile

Last edited by MarJay on 15:19 - 13 Feb 2004; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 13 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not write a nice letter to their Head Office and have a moan at their 'laughable customer service' or their ability to hire fuckwits Very Happy I think it may do more good than slating them on here (although having ratings/examples of retailers performance here is a good idea imo) plus you may get some vouchers or something. Thumbs Up

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:35 - 13 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a post directed towards "Richard":

I jusr received a call from Maximum Throttle, as they have been rung by yourself to say that there is a complaint being publicised against them in regards to some TL1000R Fork Seals.

Please read this again:

Ste wrote:
However... the shop I have been having the work booked at, have been very helpful, and have told me they'll get some Genuine Suzuki ones for early next week Thumbs Up Shop is called Maximum Throttle and they're in Fleet in Hampshire. Smile

I am very pleased with the service I have received from this shop, and I feel that you ringing to say I am publicsing a complaint against them is very out of place. If you would either PM me to apologise, or you could ring Maximum Throttle to explain you have made a cockup. They are not a small large chain of shops, and I'm sure a large part of thier business comes from people either recommending them or word of mouth which is what I was trying to do. So, please take the time to read things properly and don't just try and fuck stuff up.

This shop have been "messed around" by me if anything. I have had to change the booking of the fork seals being done from Wednesday, to Thursday, and then again to Friday. Now they have said they'll get in Genuine Suzuki parts, and its going to be fitted for me next week. And they also pickup and drop my bike back to me while I'm at work. Top service Thumbs Up

People at Maximum Thottle when you read this: Sorry about this idiot, buy as you can see I was not complaining about your shop or your services. I'll be in on Saturday to pick up the R&G bits Thumbs Up

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:39 - 13 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a bit fucking OTT whoever rang them Confused

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:44 - 13 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder if he bothered to ring gear4bikes.com and if they even bothered to answer thier phone Rolling Eyes

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:53 - 13 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
...you have to be very careful with lambasting companies who provide services, on an online forum.

Mr Puceflange also mentioned you have to be careful of the legalities of it all.

and to "Richard";

You can Middle Finger Evil or Very Mad Middle Finger if you're a member then you should know better!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:01 - 13 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Mr Puceflange also mentioned you have to be careful of the legalities of it all.

Yup, but all of the above about gear4bikes.com can be backed up by the lack of fork seals with me, and with the invoice and receipt dated Monday.

And I would have thought it a very safe thing to do. He has the intelligence to click the link in the middle of a paragraph, find thier phone number and call them, but not to read the rest of the paragraph Rolling Eyes Thumbs Down

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:46 - 13 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Yup, but all of the above about gear4bikes.com can be backed up by the lack of fork seals with me, and with the invoice and receipt dated Monday.

And I would have thought it a very safe thing to do. He has the intelligence to click the link in the middle of a paragraph, find thier phone number and call them, but not to read the rest of the paragraph Rolling Eyes Thumbs Down

I 100% agree with you Ste, Thumbs Up I was just passing comment. Smile

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 16:50 - 13 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
MarJay wrote:

I think maybe what you written could be taken as libelous (sp?) or something liek that. Everything in forums can be libelous. It's the "avoid like the plague" bit that I would think would get you in trouble. The rest is more or less factual.

I would have just made the thread title - "my experience with gear4lbikes" or something like that, and then told in the thread what happened to you.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:55 - 13 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus it could be the couriers fault! Wink

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:06 - 13 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's thier approach to buisness which pisses me off. They told me, they stated, it would be with me by Wednesday. It wasn't. I am more than happy if they say "yes, it's lost in the post, we'll get some more out", but they just said to go away until Monday. And how they say its not there problem that I've had the bike booked in.

Thus, I shall be avoiding them like the plague Wink

andrew
Mister Road Rage

PostPosted: 17:14 - 13 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with what you've said there Ste, why shouldn't you be able to air your opinions? They're obviously a bunch of muppets.

P.S Whoever rung Maximum Throttle up is a joker. Smile

That is all.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:25 - 13 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

0208 9526705

That's the phone number of Richard. Anyone happens to know who he is... please pm me Wink

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:17 - 13 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
0208 9526705

That's the phone number of Richard. Anyone happens to know who he is... please pm me Wink

Ring him! Wink

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter

PostPosted: 19:19 - 13 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with gear4bikes I've got several things off them and they arrived in 48hours.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:26 - 13 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Ste wrote:
0208 9526705

Ring him! Wink

No answer.

Scotty
Scooter Boi

PostPosted: 19:29 - 13 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix wrote:
Nothing wrong with gear4bikes I've got several things off them and they arrived in 48hours.

Snap,
Think you just got bum steered Ste.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 20:04 - 13 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

A note on fork seals.

Get genuine ones.

I've had lots of sets of fork seals over my bikes. Some I've fitted myself, others I've had fitted by the garage.

The genuine ones have never failed. The pattern ones have never worked.

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 20:28 - 13 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used them loads of times before and got all the stuff withing 2 working days.
20:02:36 Jammy-R6: any holes a goal
20:02:48 kev: even if its a hairy mans arse
20:02:56 Jammy-R6: hell yes

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 23:12 - 04 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste you wuss, you should have stood your ground Rolling Eyes
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 50 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2