Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda CG125 --> I need some help!!!!!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

joePC
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:06 - 13 Feb 2004    Post subject: Honda CG125 --> I need some help!!!!! Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm just about to buy a second hand Honda CG125 its been in storage for the past 4 years.........it starts but stalls etc..... The guy im buying it off says it needs its carburator cleaned and a new battery, Im new to bikes and want to use this bike as a good learning tool.

Im just wondering would this bike be OK if I got it serviced etc.....

It has 30,000 on the clock....

Thanks joePC

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 22:08 - 13 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, good choice for starting on a CG, they may not be as nice as the NSR, but cheap and excellent to learn on until you can afford a proper bike and do your full test.

From sounds of it, yes a carb clean and service will most probably fix it. Make sure it has petrol and there are no blocks in the fuel lines etc, get the carbs cleaned out, new spark plugs and an oil change and try again.

How much are you paying? As it's really not worth much.

joePC
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:10 - 13 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all the talk I got down to £250.........Is this a fare price?

Thanks joePC

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 22:16 - 13 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear in mind that 30,000 is a lot of miles for a 125 - there will be a bit of life left in the engine though, maybe.

Maybe try offering £300 - £350 for the bike with it serviced?

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 22:20 - 13 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

£250, I'd personally say that's too expensive for a non-running 125 CG with 30k on the clock.

I wouldn't pay more than £150, but then I'd only buy a 125 if it was cheap and to sell it on!

£350 with it serviced and running sounds fair though, but CG's aren't worth much as they are under £1000 brand new if I remember correctly.

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:32 - 14 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhh the cg, up untill 4months ago i had one,
never once had a problem with it in the year i owned it...

its not likeley to need allot to fix it, probably just mankey carbs/fuel line? if you do get it then have a major service done on it straight away, then you will find any potential problems with it, if you can do it yourself (just make sure you have a haynes manual!) then its going to be cheeper, there isn't allot that can go wrong with the cg, and new bits are as cheep as anything! (the tyres are cheeper than some bycicle tyres)

you can buy a replica cg (hondogu or something good quality, basicly the same just the older style) for £1000 the new model honda is about £1300, wich has disc brakes (trust me you want them) and an electric start (ooooh!) the models of the last 3/4 years had an electric start as well i think...

but they are damn fine (if not exciting) bikes, did some fairly serious miles on mine (went to leeds festival on it, interesting is the word) though its not as comfy as a biger capacity bike its not bad for a 30year old design! 99% of bike schools can't be wrong!

*also, i did my cbt on a cg with 40k on the clock, might have even been around once before! they get a daily thrashing, serious abuse from learners, draped, fierce bad gear changes general knocking about, but it felt the same to ride as mine which had something like 26k on Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G1_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:39 - 14 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think 30k miles is to bad for a 4 stroke 125. If it was a 2 stroke it would be another matter.
CG's go for ever if they are treater even slightly well!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 10:18 - 14 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it. They do come up cheaper, but not masses cheaper, and you'll be able to sell it for the same money.

30k is ok. Worst case scenario is you need a new set of piston rings, AFAIK its a pushrod bike so unless the honda monkeys were feeling particularly sadistic that day (a la CX500) there should be no camchain to snap.

joePC
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:43 - 15 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the info im gona collect it on monday, should have it up & running by wedsday ((hopefully))

Thanks joePC

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:10 - 15 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have any specific CG questions i might be able to help Smile good luck with it anyways Thumbs Up

mtthwpez
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:17 - 16 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

30000 miles is nothing for a cg125 engine its probably the most bullet proof engine i've ever come across!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 76 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1