Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Help me with a 400!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Loretta
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:40 - 20 Jun 2002    Post subject: Help me with a 400! Reply with quote

Hello!
I'm 21 and just a tiny bit under 5'2".
I've not long passed my test and am pretty new to this bike malarky! None of my friends are into bikes in the slightest so it's hard for me to get any sound advise!
Been looking around at bikes and have pretty much decided that a little 400 is what I want... The CBR and VFR were both about right in size and weight as was a GSXR and the FZR, but I think I prefer the 'look' of the Honda's.
So can anyone give me some (good!) advise on what's the best? Bearing in mind insurance, availability, etc... I don't really want to pay more then £2500 - £3000 for the whole lot...
Also, where's good to get one from? (Private sale or shop?) Most of the time when I walk into a shop, they expect me to be after a scooter or something (I only look about 17 sometimes!!!) and it takes me 5 minutes to convince them that I want a 'proper' bike!!!
Any words of wisdom will be very much appreciated!
LorettaxXx
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 10:59 - 20 Jun 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this will be your first bike, I'd advise that you buy from a reputable dealer (if they exist Evil or Very Mad )...

I think that you are wise to prefer the Hondas, but they tend to be most expensive...having said that, you should be able to pick up a fairly decent VFR for less than £2500, and then TPO insurance for around £500...

Oh, and well done for passing your test!...I'm assuming that you did Direct Access?...I failed my first test, and my second one was cancelled at the last minute!...I've got arrange another date now...grr...

A few of the guys here are quite local to the Croydon area, so they might be able to help you out a bit more...

Tin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 11:16 - 20 Jun 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I wouldn't recommend a 400 as your 1st bike. I think a 125 or 250 would serve better and would also give 1yrs no claims a little easier too.
Saying that the 400'sa re really nice.
Check out
https://www.performancemotorcycles.co.uk
https://www.batmotorcycles.co.uk
or Yahoo auctions
for some good deals on 400's. Performance seem to do quite a lot.
And their prices aren't as silly as some private sales.
Good luck

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:28 - 20 Jun 2002    Post subject: Re: Help me with a 400! Reply with quote

There's quite a few people from croydon on here, so you could probably convince some of them to go with you and have a look at bikes. If at all possible, get a test ride, which will tell you if the bikes right for you, not us.
You could also consider the SV650... I'm told it's got a pretty low seat height and it's considered to be learner friendly.

Zimma
Wheelie Junkie

PostPosted: 11:30 - 20 Jun 2002    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

i wouldnt Exclamation and i stress Exclamation wouldnt, get a 125 or 250 as ur first bike... unless of course you have money to throw at biking Smile 400's are perfect for first bikes, they have nice handling, nice acceleration, and nice stopping power Smile and seeing as your a girl (no offence) your less likely to be a kamikaze missile on a bike (unlike us boys) ... i would personally reccomend the zxr4 Smile but the "V4" kru would probably dissagree Razz
performance between the 400's is almost the same, with each bike having their own good and bad points. ill leave you to decide Very Happy

oh, and welcome to the bikechatforums!! Exclamation

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 11:32 - 20 Jun 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zim, you only recommend bigger bikes cuz ur a nutter!!! Wink

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 11:38 - 20 Jun 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would only get a 125 if I didn't intend to lose the L plates anytime soon...but since you've already passed your test, you'll be in a different market...

There seems to be a common perception that you have to go fast just 'cos you're on a bigger bike, which is bollocks!...from my personal experience, the Honda V4s are much nicer to bumble around town with than the NSR...if you did DAS, then you can jump on a 400 without any problems, but if you've only been on a 125, then I'd advise spending a few moments in a quiet area to familiarise yourself with the power delivery...

The Honda 400s are actually heavier than most bigger sportsbikes, but are very chuckable 'cos of the weight distribution and low C of G...The ZXR4 and SV650s are much lighter, but are physically bigger...

Tin

Last edited by TiN on 11:41 - 20 Jun 2002; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:39 - 20 Jun 2002    Post subject: 1 Reply with quote

i 125 or 250 are good for getting used to bikes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:30 - 20 Jun 2002    Post subject: Re: 1 Reply with quote

What Zim said.

Personally I think it's more important to have a 'friendly' power delivery than a small one. Providing you can control yourself in the first month or so to not just crack the throttle open you should be okay.

Someone I know who can't put his foot flat on the ground on an R6 (not exactly a big bike) is fine on his SV... I think you can get the seat foam cut out as well as it's fairly well padded (he hasn't though)

Zimma
Wheelie Junkie

PostPosted: 13:11 - 20 Jun 2002    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

cheers g... thats exactly what im saying, just because the power is there, doesnt mean u have to use it, it just makes it a lot easier not to be hammering the shit out the bike all the time and therefore an easier/ more comfortable ride!

now throw in the fact that its a girl riding, and theres gonna be no probs at all (cos girls arent exactly renowned for their crazyness/stupidity on motorbikes)

alls youve gotta remember is to take it easy for a bit and get used to the bike, then the rest is practice Smile

Dan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:17 - 20 Jun 2002    Post subject: 1 Reply with quote

thats true u need to get used to it then u r sound, same with everything i spose. never tried a 400 but i understand what u mean u don't need to use the power and u don't loose ur hearing from the loverly 2 stroke noise Smile

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 13:17 - 20 Jun 2002    Post subject: Re: .. Reply with quote

Zimma wrote:
just because the power is there, doesnt mean u have to use it

Which is why about a week after buying your bike, you were straight in my garage ripping the restrictors out? Laughing

Zimma
Wheelie Junkie

PostPosted: 13:17 - 20 Jun 2002    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

nah u just loose it from that lovely blueflame sound Very Happy

Zimma
Wheelie Junkie

PostPosted: 13:19 - 20 Jun 2002    Post subject: Re: .. Reply with quote

Kornel wrote:
Zimma wrote:
just because the power is there, doesnt mean u have to use it

Which is why about a week after buying your bike, you were straight in my garage ripping the restrictors out? Laughing

korn man... restrictors damage ur bike innit Very Happy they cut off the fuel and air supply and could cause ur bike to erm.. um... sieze or blow up or something!! so i erm.. had to um.. remove them for safety Laughing

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 13:38 - 20 Jun 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol zimm

and also, i have decided after much MUCH backwards and forwardsness, to go for the 125, make of that what you will

regards

retrofly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:15 - 20 Jun 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
dont listen to zim he's only saying get a ZXR 400 cause hes got one and he dosnt want ot be a loaner. Ive got an NSR 125 at the mo and i am also getting either a VFR/CBR in the summer. The zxr 400 is to fat and bulky for a first bike but the VFR/CBR is small and petite, i am also a small geezer and the VFR/CBR's fit me purfect, and the power/speed is a goos as any 400 (so im told) and the looks are just ausome.
Try www.boxhillmotorcycles.com too or even better try and get to dorking and check em out. Some pple slag box hill motorcycle's off but a few pple i know have bought their 400's from there so u should be ok

Luke

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 16:19 - 20 Jun 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Box Hill Motorcycles are a good dealer, but not so good for servicing and parts. To be fair they're mainly about selling bikes and they do it well.

For servicing 400 grey imports I'd recommend Elliott Motorcycles near Swindon, they really know their stuff especially when it comes to the Honda V4's.

retrofly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:22 - 20 Jun 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Kornel is it possible to haggle with the dealers at box hill?

Luke

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 16:28 - 20 Jun 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bat Motorcycles
Performance Bikes

Both of these are pretty good for 4's

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 16:36 - 20 Jun 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retro yeah it's possible same as any other place I suppose. I got my 33bhp kit thrown into the sale price of the bike and an extra 6 months warranty for half price when I bought my RVF.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 315 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1