Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Erm, cock! (or, in other words - bike tax increases ahoy?)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Radar
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:59 - 05 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Government is considering proposals to up to double tax on motorcycles from next year

If you disagree (which I presume you do!) please sign this on-line petition:

https://petitions.pm.gov.uk/motorcycle-tax/sign

I do not know if it will do any good, but nothing ventured...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

m0l0t0v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 05 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big_Ham wrote:
Lets go and block up all the london roads with bikes like the Bulgarians did last month. Thumbs Up

https://www.clutchandchrome.com/News/0802/News0802103.htm

THIS IS WHAT WE NEED!!!! Make them take notice.

Count me in. Fuck the broken arm. We need to fuck the government up the ass for once.

And Shay, if we just keep backing down then it will get worse and worse.
**\Tarmacsurfer/** said: It's that immaculately manly coiffure of yours isn't it. One glimpse of your virile locks and the punters can't wait to buy whatever it is you suggest, as it might let them be just a little bit like the Adonis that is our very own Molly Very Happy Doovydoo said: Its not my fault I can't get it up properly, I just wasn't blessed Wink

Tristan.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 05 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

deanoet wrote:
Just to be devils advocate here:

Most bikes manage around 50mpg?
as an average?
125s manage 100, but sports bikes can be 30 odd??

A bike can only carry 2 people
My Civic, which does 36mpg, 30 with AC on can carry 5 people

So the Civic, for number of people moved is way way better than a bike

That would be the arguement that the government use

Of course cars rarely have more than 1 person in them on a commute to work, same can be said for bikes, which makes the bike better.

If you get into Tyres as well, a bike goes through a set every 10k miles? On average? It only uses 2, but a car will get more than 20k miles on a set of 4.
Mine were changed after 40k miles on the car

yeah but that assumes road tax is an enviromental tax, which it shouldnt be, it should be paying for wear and tear to road surfaces and street furnature surely.

TechJinx
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:41 - 06 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tristan the wrote:

yeah but that assumes road tax is an enviromental tax, which it shouldnt be, it should be paying for wear and tear to road surfaces and street furnature surely.

I hope you're being sarcastic, along with the congestion charge actually being about congestion......

YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tristan.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:53 - 06 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

well what the government chooses to spend it on and what it should be spent on are two different things, I was just pointing out that environmental stuff shouldnt really come into it at all, the amount we pay should relate to the amount of road we break yearly.

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 06 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely people would be up for a big protest ride or flat out road tax boycott if this is confirmed as being in the works? I can't find a source other than VisorDown.

tutton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 06 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signed petition Thumbs Up
Signatures: 2,138
Deadline to sign up by: 11 April 2009

Not bad so far then.

A mass protest sounds quite funny,
i can imagine them getting the riot water cannon out, and all the carbed bikes getting wet and not being able to ride off.

m0l0t0v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:06 - 06 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

tutton wrote:
Signed petition Thumbs Up
Signatures: 2,138
Deadline to sign up by: 11 April 2009

Not bad so far then.

A mass protest sounds quite funny,
i can imagine them getting the riot water cannon out, and all the carbed bikes getting wet and not being able to ride off.

And? Means I have even more of an excuse to block up the roads Wink

Also, grave damage to my engine so compensation please

Shifty
**\Tarmacsurfer/** said: It's that immaculately manly coiffure of yours isn't it. One glimpse of your virile locks and the punters can't wait to buy whatever it is you suggest, as it might let them be just a little bit like the Adonis that is our very own Molly Very Happy Doovydoo said: Its not my fault I can't get it up properly, I just wasn't blessed Wink

Shay HTFC
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:18 - 06 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would LOVE to be part of some mass organised ride out or go slow. Imagine a go slow on the M25 on Monday morning just to bugger up London (and therefore the government - anywhere else and they just wouldn't give a shite!)

It needs to be initiated by someone / group with a big enough shout. One lone man will never get the support really unless they have a media avenue for spreading the message.

If Visordown / Bikechatforums / other big forums all agreed to something then we would be onto a winner.

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:52 - 06 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shay HTFC wrote:
I would LOVE to be part of some mass organised ride out or go slow. Imagine a go slow on the M25 on Monday morning just to bugger up London (and therefore the government - anywhere else and they just wouldn't give a shite!)

It needs to be initiated by someone / group with a big enough shout. One lone man will never get the support really unless they have a media avenue for spreading the message.

If Visordown / Bikechatforums / other big forums all agreed to something then we would be onto a winner.

A Kill Spills style rideout + petition sounds good to me.

'We the undersigned confirm that if the government persist with their plan to introduce unjustified and excessive increases to motorcycle Vehicle Excise Duty then we shall each boycott future payments altogether.'

Thousands of signatures and they'd drop it in an instant.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2