Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Which mountain bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

andrew
Mister Road Rage

PostPosted: 16:01 - 28 Apr 2008    Post subject: Which mountain bike? Reply with quote

I'm after a new bike, i don't know anything about the types of gears and brakes, all i know is i want the best bike for my money.

I'm buying it on a VAT free scheme through work so have to buy it from halfords which kind of limits my choice but i've heard good things about the 4 makes of bike i'm considering.

I was thinking of the following bikes and was hoping some of you guys could tell me which one is better or which one you'd buy...

Boardman Mountain Bike Comp Large
https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_241877_langId_-1_CarSelectorCatalogId__CarSelectorGroupId__varient__categoryId_124466_crumb_33980-33957-106165-124465_parentcategoryrn_124466#

Kona Cinder Cone
https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_273253_langId_-1_CarSelectorCatalogId__CarSelectorGroupId__varient__categoryId_106168_crumb_33980-33957-106165_parentcategoryrn_106168

Voodoo Bantu
https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_258455_langId_-1_CarSelectorCatalogId__CarSelectorGroupId__varient__categoryId_106172_crumb_33980-33957-106165_parentcategoryrn_106172

GT Aggressor XC2
https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_271269_langId_-1_CarSelectorCatalogId__CarSelectorGroupId__varient__categoryId_106167_crumb_33980-33957-106165_parentcategoryrn_106167

I've looked for reviews so i could find out for myself but there was sod all on a couple of the bikes so thought it would be easier to ask people on here who have a clue.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dischord
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:12 - 28 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't go wrong with the Boardman - nice spec for the price and light compared to the others (can't comment on the voodoo). Only ever had one back and that was when a crank fell off Very Happy

But it's alot of money for the bike, you can pick up some cheap 07' bikes at Halfords now so it might be worth a look - A Carrera Vulcan or Saracen Mantis will do exactly the same job just alot cheaper!

All in all thought the Boardman is the bike I'd go for! Thumbs Up

Check out my vids - https://www.youtube.com/user/KTMSparky/videos

andrew
Mister Road Rage

PostPosted: 16:28 - 28 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest i like the look of the Boardman the most, i don't know what any of it does but to me it looks the nicest. Maybe followed by the GT ( I like its frame).

One question, i'd like to get into off roading, nothing too major, just down a few hills over some tracks etc....

I've been told that the best thing to do is get a smaller frame and just adjust the seat?

Is this correct?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 23:55 - 29 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voodoo's - known to have slightly 'different' frame geometry, should still be good but you'd want a test ride

The kona - has a crap fork for a £600 bike. Most people buy Kona's heavily discounted end of year (as they are overpriced to start with). i.e. I got one with a 1/3 off the price.

GT - a bit cheaper than the others you have there, suntour fork would always put me off, but maybe you could get a higher specced agressor by spending more?

Boardman - Best spec, good fork, but the bikes themselves are a bit unknown. I'd research forums to see whether they're any good or not. Only started selling them in the last year or so(try bikeradar / ukmtb / ukmb)

You buy the frame size that fits you. You'll still be able to lower the saddle as these days mountain bikes have plenty of standover clearance between your nads and the top tube.

A smaller frame is for stuff like jumps, trials, etc. If you want to do a lot of that then you should look at beefier bikes, otherwise those XC bikes above in the right frame size should be fine for general messing about and some not-to-extreme wheels off the ground action.

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:00 - 30 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Maurice about the Kona.

If you're after something from Halfords with a reasonable spec for not a hell of alot of money then I've been very pleasantly surprised by my Carrera Fury. If you've got the cash that Boardman bike does look good on paper, no idea how they ride though.

andrew
Mister Road Rage

PostPosted: 12:07 - 30 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i'm going to go with the boardman, i'll be buying the bike with a scheme at work, with the discounts my work can get i'll be getting the boardman for £352 which is pretty good value i reckon.

andrew
Mister Road Rage

PostPosted: 12:21 - 30 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realise i would save that much so might even go for something a little more expensive. I'll pick another few and ask for your opinions if that's cool?

Cheers

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 14:50 - 30 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like specialized for mountain bikes, I've had 3 now all really good.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 14:17 - 01 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my old Canondale with the UK prototype XTR group set, cooks cranks, mavic ceramics. Old skool, very VERY old skool.

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 14:34 - 01 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note Halfords can order in bikes from other manufacturers for the Cycle to work scheme, so you're not just limited to their standard stock.

RealNinja
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:21 - 02 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarmacsurfer wrote:
I've been very pleasantly surprised by my Carrera Fury.

That and the Kraken are very capable trail and singletrack bikes.

Don't know anything about the Boardman, never heard of them and I get MBR and What Mountain bike most months....

andrew
Mister Road Rage

PostPosted: 13:39 - 12 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, i've decided on the Boardman Comp, i had a go on the others at my local Halfords store and it felt so much better than the other bikes.

I don't know if it's just how it was set up but the gears changed quicker, it was very light and the rest of the components on the bike are better than pretty much anything else for the same money.

I was told by the peeps at work that Halfords will order anything in but i wanna get on the road as soon as possible so am just gonna get the Boardman.

Now i need to find a decent lid that doesn't make me look like a clown. Very Happy

Oh before i forget, is it possible to get an insurance policy for a mountain bike as i don't want it covered by the house insurance.

Thanks,
Andrew

Shay HTFC
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:35 - 12 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get an Orange mountain bike. Quality bikes! Smile

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 17:11 - 12 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Royal Mail do a Cycle 2 work scheme that i was gonna join, but i decieded not to as i wasnt actually going to commute on it, just to piss around on it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Moonie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 12 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as you get it from Halfords (you can probably get it cheaper on tinterweb), if your mechanically minded at all do it yourself, if not take it to a bike shop and get it checked over, as the guys at the bikehuts I've been to really know nothing at all.

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 23:13 - 12 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

wave2k wrote:
Royal Mail do a Cycle 2 work scheme that i was gonna join, but i decieded not to as i wasnt actually going to commute on it, just to piss around on it.

I don't think many people actually commute on them, it's just a way to get around the tax.

Push bike insurance is very expensive for that it is. If you get it through house insurance it's much better value.

I did a year with 'cycleguard'. Expensive and useless. Had a seat and post nicked off my bike, it wasn't covered as they only cover things nicked off your bike if their value is above £100.

Also your bike has to be locked with the insurance approved lock to an immobile object at all times. So when it's in my living room it wasn't covered. When it was in my garage, even though it was locked to my motorcycle, it wasn't covered.

So many loopholes it wasn't worth it. It cost me about the same for a years cycle theft insurance as it did for my nc30 (same value as bicycle) TPFT.

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 12:22 - 13 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont get what the saving is, i looked at a £500 voucher for a bike, and i would after the period had ended, have paid just over £500.
Where is the saving made ?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

andrew
Mister Road Rage

PostPosted: 14:14 - 13 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get confused with gross and net but basically you pay back around the amount you borrow but some of the money you pay back is taken directly from your NI and Income Tax.

I did a rough calculation and for a £600 voucher i would be paying around £350, the rest of the money was taken from my tax contribution.

Does that make any sense? It does in my little head. Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 323 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1