Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

London police asphyxiate tourist - awaiting IPCC ruling

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:00 - 06 May 2008    Post subject: London police asphyxiate tourist - awaiting IPCC ruling Reply with quote

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=564285&in_page_id=1770&in_page_id=1770&expand=true#StartComments

Thought I'd post this, just incase you haven't seen it. In September 2006 a Nigerian tourist, after refusing to 'co-operate' was sprayed with CS spray and bundled to the floor by four officers, with one appearing to place their knee over his neck as his head dangles over the kerb. The man complained repeatedly about being unable to breathe although to no avail. He suffocated and died soon after.

The case is awaiting IPCC review, from here they may recommend disciplinary action. Meanwhile the officers are still on (restricted) duties.

There are three main things I find disturbing about this situation, although now seeing the world for what it is means my sense of horror has been dulled somewhat. Anyhow, back to my points...

1. Four police officers feel the need to physically restrain a person on the floor, using methods including knees to the necks, especially when the person's head is dangling over a kerb and also after using CS spray. Have officers become so hyped, so fearful of us that they must resort to gang mentality and nasty, spiteful tactics? Do they now ignore us if we plead for mercy? Are we all now possible victims of police brutality?

2. The CPS casually states that no 'breach of care' was found. Erm, sorry? We have CCTV footage and witness statements saying he was pleading and begging for his life, does this not count? Suffocating people now equates to care? Now the IPCC has got involved but all it can do is 'recommend' disciplinary action?

3. The comments page. Feck me, some people really would excuse the gassing of the Jews or Stalins red terror wouldn't they! A summary - He's a Nigerian so deserves it. The police never do any wrong, where's the problem? I want these officers in my town, they're heroes. Etc, etc.

Seriously fucked up situation that has left a widow with debts and a man dead from trying to re-enter a house where he was staying.

I now fully expect the usual replies. Laughing

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 02:50 - 07 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to go out with a girl who was a prison officer before she met me.

The way they restrain people on the floor is different, they pin them by the arms, so one person on each arm, with the restrainee being on their back.

The police pile on approach is quite a bit more dangerous, so accidents happen but in prison they dont have to worry about the person escaping.

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 05:16 - 07 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Daily Mail wrote:
CCTV footage captured him losing consciousness after screaming: "I can't breathe. I can't breathe."

In my experience, people who can't breathe usually don't do a huge amount of screaming.

I fail to see how that picture shows an officer kneeling on his neck - if anything, the office indicated appears to be standing up, and thus kneeling on nothing.

Something obviously did go wrong, and positional asphyxia would appear to be it. Little Miss is in the middle of her police training right now, and she has been quite surprised at how basic the Officer Safety Training is compared with the HMP Control and Restraint that she's spent the last 4 years using.

Colin is quite correct in that HMP techniques tend to be more mindful of a prisoner's wellbeing - I suspect that is more to do with the fact that C&R assumes that there are 3 officers to each prisoner, where I guess the police will seldom have that luxury in the first instance.

If HMP staff don't have 3 officers to restrain someone - it becomes personal protection and virtually anything goes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thegubner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:40 - 07 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister James wrote:

I fail to see how that picture shows an officer kneeling on his neck - if anything, the office indicated appears to be standing up, and thus kneeling on nothing.

I agree with that bit but if an officer had died of the same thing during the restraint the bloke would have been facing a murder charge and branded cop killer. Something needs to be done as obviously they didn't treat him with enough "care". That cant be argued with, he died of suffocation at the hands of government thugs.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:57 - 07 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, doesn't it make you proud to be british?

silky666
Captain Rulebook

PostPosted: 10:08 - 07 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 2 minds about this one:

1) we do seem to be going down the 'american' route - where restraining one man requires 4 policemen - jumping on you - applying head locks and choke holds - while spraying you with pepper spray.
(this is all caused by the whingers that stopped the Police from using common sense powers - ie: gobby little chav spitting and swearing - used to get a quick bosh across the nose to shut him up.)

2) on the other hand - everyone seems to have missed the fact that he was asked not to return to the flat - obviously ignored this and was 'stopped'. Shocked

My take on this one - is that I bet the pepper spray played a big part in this accident (and thats what it was) - I cant imagine it being very easy to breath when being restrained on the floor and with a mouth full of mace.

Gaffa tape is like "the force" - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thegubner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:34 - 07 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

silky666 wrote:
In 2 minds about this one:

1) we do seem to be going down the 'american' route - where restraining one man requires 4 policemen - jumping on you - applying head locks and choke holds - while spraying you with pepper spray.
(this is all caused by the whingers that stopped the Police from using common sense powers - ie: gobby little chav spitting and swearing - used to get a quick bosh across the nose to shut him up.)

I personally think it is caused by teachers not being able to give the kids a clip round the ear anymore. I'm not saying they should be able to use the cane and all that, but if kids learn at school that they can legally be struck by a teacher when "giving it large" it will help them have a bit more respect growing up in general. I understand that there would be cases of rebellion but they would be the exception in my honest opinion.

GhostRider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:36 - 07 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im reminded of the time me an a few mates were coming back from the pub, we pop into curry house to order our stuff, whilst one mate takes a walk round the corner for a piss, which incidentally he took in a bush behind a billboard that led onto a disused car park that used to belong to the Rover plant before the chinese bought them out.

Anyway, as our food arrives and we're set to leave we see blue flashing lights bloody everywhere, walk outside to see 3 squad cars blue lighting and two policemen with both my mates arms restrained behind his back. I said "whats the problem officer??" copper replies "he was caught taking a piss in public", before I could respond another 2 squad cars come screeching to a halt and the total number of police there was about 8. Me and my mate had only been outside no longer than 10 seconds so it wasnt like they had called for backup once they caught sight of us.

So.....8 policemen for 1 guy who was offering no resistance whatsoever. I said is all his really necessary, to which I got a

"you got a fucking problem? You wanna go in the back of the car aswell??".

So my mate gets driven to the station, held for 6 hours and let off with a caution. I might add this was a sunday evening as well, so a rather quiet evening as opposed to a booze fuelled friday night where the cops might expect someone to be rowdy. I couldnt help but think at the time about how in the fuck did they not have anything better to do, perhaps doing some real police work?

My later experiences with the law only ever made me more disappointed.

But oh how we laughed when the arresting officers car, with my mate in the back, had trouble starting his car, following by something popping and oil pissing all over the road so he couldnt go nowhere and had to call in another car. We laughed very loudly on purpose, which obviously pissed off the copper an he got out an started shouting "something funny? you got something to fucking say??" to which we chuckled an walked off.

Tossers, the absolute lot of them.

GhostRider
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.

silky666
Captain Rulebook

PostPosted: 12:21 - 07 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_guvnor_1_uk wrote:

I personally think it is caused by teachers not being able to give the kids a clip round the ear anymore. I'm not saying they should be able to use the cane and all that, but if kids learn at school that they can legally be struck by a teacher when "giving it large" it will help them have a bit more respect growing up in general. I understand that there would be cases of rebellion but they would be the exception in my honest opinion.

Now he is just after those gold blobs ! Smile
Couldnt agree more. Thumbs Up

Gaffa tape is like "the force" - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:03 - 07 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most probably fault on both sides and at the very least, the officers should not be returned to active duty.

It sites in the article that he was struggling and shouting he couldn't breath. How many people can honestly say if they were being sat on by four other people (policemen or not) and couldn't breath that they'd play dead and hope they back off.

I think out of sheer panic, I'd probably continue to struggle. You'd have to figure you're going to suffocate if you don't.

The guy should not have tried to return to the flat, his fault but he didn't deserve to die. That mitigates the officer's action some what, but they should still be punished.

The whole duty of care thing seems a ridiculous oxymoron in this instance.

Thumbs Up

pits
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:03 - 20 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been restrained illegally with a knee to the neck and any officer caught doing it should be left in a room on his own with nothingto defend himself, but his hands, and go one on one! Arseholes, should also loose there jobs for it, no sympathy for police anymore, infact ive got quite blunt with them. Do what your going to do or fook off attitude with them now
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 346 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1