Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Non-slip manhole covers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rob1barr
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:03 - 20 Feb 2008    Post subject: Non-slip manhole covers Reply with quote

Just read this on MCN. https://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/mcn/2008/February-1-3/18-24/feb1908nonslipmanholecovers/
Quote:
Slippery manhole covers could be consigned to history if UK proposals are accepted by Europe, the British Motorcyclists Federation has said.

New non-slip manhole covers offer equivalent grip to a good quality road surface, according to the BMF.

The UK committee working on revising European standards has agreed to recommend the covers as a minimum requirement, the group said.

A spokesman said it could lead to “a safer European-wide road network for bikers”.
He said: “The next stage will be to address this matter at a European level to gain support and agreement from the other countries.”

Chris Hodder, the BMF’s government relations executive said: “As motorcyclists we know we need a level of skid resistance equal to that of the main carriageway, but what we needed was a technical specification and that’s what we have now been able to agree on.”

David Short, the Motorcycle Action Group’s campaigns manager, said: “It is the simple measures that can make so much difference and save lives. The European and UK Government now need to show some leadership, effect a change in the skid resistance standard and make our roads safer for vulnerable road users.”

Sheila Rainger, head of campaigns for the RAC Foundation, added: "No-one needs to be put at risk by a slippery manhole cover in the road surface.

"Safer covers are available but they are rarely used because the current European Standard does not require covers to be skid-resistant in real-world conditions.

"If the UK is successful in amending the standard, the roads will be safer for motorcyclists and for other vulnerable road users.”

Brilliant idea, as there are a couple of manholes down my road that I have no choice but to go over- going around a corner. I felt the back end slide out once before could have been off if I hadn't put my foot down in time. Although the government spending money on the roads Shocked could it really happen?

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:06 - 20 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the BMF are involved it's sure to fail.
The masters of the Fecal Touch.

By the time there is any sign of movement they will all have fallen out with one another or resigned due to miss management of funding.

Last time I asked then about a grip issue it was ignored.

Subscription cancelled.

I hope the covers are implemented. I hate dodging them on corners.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 01:40 - 20 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno what your complaing about they make riding more interesting Laughing

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:14 - 20 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

True.

Inner city roads of Character.

We need route maps of our favourite runs.. Laughing

Jenkinz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:13 - 20 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me if it happens

Mac_Black
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:02 - 21 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

"UK proposals are accepted by Europe"
I thought we said no to tha EU Brick Wall RRRRRR!!!

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:52 - 21 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac_Kaliba wrote:
"UK proposals are accepted by Europe"
I thought we said no to tha EU Brick Wall RRRRRR!!!

pledges in the Manifesto are not subject to legitimate expectation
-Lawyer acting for Labour when the manifesto pledge for a EU referendum was challenged in court, and lost.

Ie promises they say are not a contract and are thus worthless.

Kinda like the we won't increase income tax or put in top up fees, in came a +1% increase , and £3000 a year fees.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:56 - 21 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Auld Cuntess Thatcher reduced Income Tax to win votes.

The bastirts almost tripped over one and other to elect the old fuker.

Soon as she got her feet in the door she hiked VAT up to 17.5% Shocked

But income Tax was low.
If you had earned a bundle you saved a bundle.
It only cost you if you spend.
Like for household goods in order to live......and shit.

So tax is just a sort of uncomfortable Dildo every government lubes up from time to time.

eddyh
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:50 - 28 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be a good idea to get non slip ones, especially one corners. So many times when i have gone round a corner i have to move the bike toward the side just to avoid them.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:03 - 29 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been in the pipe work for a good few years. By the time it comes in we'll probably all be dead anyway.

Noxious89123
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:50 - 29 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the manhole covers i can think of, are on corners...

Then again, those are the ones i NEED to remember! Rolling Eyes

bunglehaze
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 03:29 - 12 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they put those in around sheffield I think they might be about the grippiest surface we get to play on (the roads are toss round here)

great idea and would no doubt stop a few incidents.

cheers

leigh Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

GirlBoy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:26 - 12 Mar 2008    Post subject: Re: Non-slip manhole covers Reply with quote

Rob1barr wrote:

there are a couple of manholes down my road that I have no choice but to go over

Eh?
Huge covers?
Or
Very narrow road?
Or
Very bad rider?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:37 - 12 Mar 2008    Post subject: Re: Non-slip manhole covers Reply with quote

GirlBoy wrote:
Rob1barr wrote:

there are a couple of manholes down my road that I have no choice but to go over

Eh?
Huge covers?
Or
Very narrow road?
Or
Very bad rider?

As it happens there's one near me like that.

In the middle of my side of the road on a left hand bend. If you go near the bank you're too close to the telegraph pole and risk hitting it, if you go around the outside you're too near to oncoming traffic. It's just the way it's worked out.

drwizz
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:51 - 13 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

non slip man hole cover woooohooooo
i hate the bloody things more then words can describe

ive lost count the amount of times i been enjoying a good ride for it only to be wrecked by having to dodge a bloody manhole

can only be a good thing in my mind

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:47 - 13 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noxious89123 wrote:

Because it makes economic sense if not rider sense, thus you have cables and pipes under the road, one man hole serves 2+ streets, thus reducing the total number of man holes needed.

Though in the UK utility companies are crazy anyway putting pipes and wires under the road (they should put it under the pavement with concrete slabs that are in a U shape so to replace pipes and cables all they have to do is use a FLT to lift them up instead of dig up the road , and repair it in a poor manner.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:42 - 14 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Noxious89123 wrote:

Because it makes economic sense if not rider sense, thus you have cables and pipes under the road, one man hole serves 2+ streets, thus reducing the total number of man holes needed.

Though in the UK utility companies are crazy anyway putting pipes and wires under the road (they should put it under the pavement with concrete slabs that are in a U shape so to replace pipes and cables all they have to do is use a FLT to lift them up instead of dig up the road , and repair it in a poor manner.

So why do they put them under the road and not the pavement?

newbymick
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:17 - 16 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't hold your breath over the "Non Slip" manhole covers. Cast iron ones are so much cheaper and far stronger so they will still be used. Remember, MH covers have to take a lot of abuse and weight - over 40 tonnes and Non Slips won't have the capacity IMHO.

Far more important issue is - POT HOLES. It used to be that any pot hole with a depth of more than 25mm had to be filled within 24 hours. Highways have now changed this to 50mm - want to know why.

The wearing course on a typical road is 25mm. That means when the wearing course breaks away the sub base is exposed. You now have an extra couple of weeks to respond to the repair - making your department look good.

Linky time

Report a problem
https://www.fixmystreet.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

newbymick
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:23 - 16 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:

So why do they put them under the road and not the pavement?

Because it's easier. Roads are wider so you only have to close one carriageway. Footpaths are more difficult. Pedestrians have to get past and that means crossing the road. This creates a safety hazard - don't won't old ladies and small kids being knocked down because the pavement was closed - think of the "Claims Direct"

StickyNick
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:48 - 25 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

lol
Because of slippery covers my ped now has a nice big gash in the once-nice paint... Sad

haze266
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:31 - 03 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

StickyNick wrote:
chris-red wrote:

lol
Because of slippery covers my ped now has a nice big gash in the once-nice paint... Sad

ditto!

Greenchills
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:19 - 22 May 2008    Post subject: Tarring up manholes Reply with quote

Is there no way some kind of paint or tarry stuff could be put over the existing manholes to increase the grip? It surely can't be that difficult to do if it means It'll save peoples lives.

matt_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:06 - 23 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good idea to me. Thumbs Up

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:33 - 23 May 2008    Post subject: Re: Tarring up manholes Reply with quote

Greenchills wrote:
Is there no way some kind of paint or tarry stuff could be put over the existing manholes to increase the grip? It surely can't be that difficult to do if it means It'll save peoples lives.

A common sense solution that's relatively cheap to implement? Not a chance.

Mark
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 344 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1