BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New members

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 16:07 - 02 Mar 2004    Post subject: New members Reply with quote

i'm concerned new members are getting a flaming from people via the karma system.

I have notice loads of guys getting 4+ red karma blocks after posting less than 10 posts?, ok some of this is due to the spelling etc. But most of it isn't, like a few posts back theres a guy asking about a derby gp 50 and an rs50, now hes made 6 posts!!! with out a single curse word, and very minor mistakes with his spelling etc, so why does he have 4 red blocks??

I think certain members need to remember that nobody starts off knowing everything about bikes....and there for needs to ask questions.

basically, give the newbies a chance, i've seen atleast 5 in the past 2 weeks that have received so much bad karma i cant even view there posts, and for no good reason.

so come on peeps use you loafs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Adam_P
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 02 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the good words about the new people Craig.

Although I've managed to gain good karma, I have asked some pretty basic questions so far, and no doubt will continue to do so for a little while yet.

I haven't actually rated any posts myself and don't really feel the need to either. But that's just me! Wink

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 16:42 - 02 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you completely craig. Thumbs Up

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 16:50 - 02 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree in principle, but Derbi / RS guy has bad karma because he has registered under at least three other usernames, asking the same question and ignoring the answers given because they're not the ones he wants to hear.

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 17:00 - 02 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam_P wrote:
I haven't actually rated any posts myself ...

I don't rate posts much, but I've just been having a look through some threads and the way people have been rating them. Either some people are trying to lower the thread rating or just disagree with everyone and feel they must rate all the posts in that thread as bad etc. Neutral

I personally will only rate a post in a thread if it needs it, ie it is helpful or its really unhelpful. The odd joke/quib here and there isn't reason to rate that post bad surely?

Either way, Korn has changed the way new people are affected by karma so hopefully that should help. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ZaphodBeeble
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:12 - 02 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do the same as you Hex. If I think it deserves a rating I'll rate it. I won't simply plough through a thread and rate everything.

ilovens125f's
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:12 - 02 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree with Craig. I have been regestered since last year but I ask one wrong question and keep to my word an boom from level 2 good to level 2 bad and I just manage to get it back up to level 1 good and guess what it happens again. As you can see I am now at neutral!!
I'm not moaning but newbies are being bombared by the Karma system.

Thanks

Kev

Milo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:36 - 02 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good points raised on both sides but maybe the Karma should be kept neutral until a week after their first post.
Maybe they still get the rating but with "learner tips" or a post by post personal report and their Karma's reset after a week so they can still post!
Obviously the mods could still rate newbie's or ban them...but maybe that's all just making things far too complex for a system that's meant to tidy things up amongst other things.

Adam

chris00004
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:24 - 03 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes so do i, as this is my fourth account , i've been 500cc racer, chris, chrisholgate and now chris00004!

And yes its very harsh on the speling Rolling Eyes

Susi
Whitton Girl

PostPosted: 03:23 - 04 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you try spelling correctly and using punctuation you shouldn't have much of a problem. Also make sure you capitalize your I's.

I remember when I first joined, I had 3 blobs of bad karma for swearing. It took me less than a day to remedy it and I was up to green.

priller
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:27 - 04 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being new here I've found the pop up boxs warning about karma useful in correcting grammar and spelling.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 29 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1