Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cycling to work

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

Cigaro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:26 - 11 Jun 2008    Post subject: Cycling to work Reply with quote

Who here cycles to work?

I've taken it up in the last few days. I don't have a car or bike at the moment so it's saving me £3.50 a day in bus fares, I feel loads healthier already too.

And it's so much more peaceful ambling along the canal than having to deal with screaming schoolkids on the bus every day.

Takes me 45 minutes, about the same as on the bus or by car.

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:54 - 11 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have either walked or cycled to School everyday for the last month.
Well recomended. I feel awake when I arrive and far better prepared for the day. Listening to my ipod on the way in a a luxury that is not possible over the noise of the Ariel so that is a bonus.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 11 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to when I was a postman, cos I took my postie bike home.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 22:01 - 11 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

a few years ago i used to cycle to work, and i was fitter, more alert during the day and people didnt like me looking a bit dishevilled

since then i have gained a few stone, so i wdnt mind doing it again, but i would need to change jobs to do it, as i now work further away

i do earn a bit more money tho

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 22:04 - 11 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to do it at least a couple times a week, takes about an hour each way, 28 mile round trip.

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:19 - 12 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

90% of the days for around 18 months. When my bike was working it was a pain in traffic, and it gets damaged by the road salt (well when I was in the UK). Then it stopped working for a couple of months, then I fixed and sold it, now I have no bike.

Cycling is the only way. Lycra is a neccessity. TBH I would rather not do it so much - it has taken all the pleasure I used to get from cycling at the weekends. Never go out for big rides anymore, just nail it into work and back each day.

Always faster than a car, nearly as fast as a motorbike tbh, but you need a shower when you get to work.

25 min for 9 hilly miles each way.

Weedy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:12 - 12 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cycle to and from work 3 time a week and the other days I get a lift (only because I go running the days I'm not cycling though!)

Feel so much healthier and have toned up incredibly! Shocked

Barry_M2
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:53 - 12 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its not raining I'll cycle in, otherwise I'll get the bus. If I can be bothered getting by bike gear on I'll take the ZXR or 916 (again only if its not raining).

It's only a 3 mile journey for me now I no longer working in London, and I dont miss it one little bit!!! Very Happy

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:59 - 12 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cycle. I can make it in 5 mins on the bike, 10 in the car, about 15 on the bike. That's without taking into account all the gear, that's as I leave my door. I work about a mile away from home. Wink

Mr Nice Guy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:33 - 12 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm seriously thinking about starting this, but its 16 miles each way to my work and I've not been on a bicycle for YEARS. Pretty daunting...

Eddie Hitler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:47 - 12 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cycle 5 miles each way to work.

Mal
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:54 - 12 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to cycle to work and enjoyed it. Was about a 1½ mile journey, 20-25 mins walking, about the same if I went by bus or car (the bus was a little slower but dropped me off closer to work as the company had no onsite parking)or 5-10 mins by pushbike. I would love to do so again but the 40+ mile trip each way is a bit daunting nowadays....

"In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete - drawn, only to be washed away."

Dragonfly
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:14 - 12 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to cycle to work years ago when I worked in a shopping centre. Poeple thought it was funny Confused Had to hide my bike in the store room of the shop and the looks I got walking it to the shop was stupid. It was quicker than car as the city traffic used to be right out if the town and I just went past it all on the footpath, kept fit at the same time to. Horrible coming home when you where tired from walking around a shop all day.

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:31 - 12 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shirt tie and good trousers and shoes for a meeting this morning and the heavens opened on me 200 yards from the school gates, period one I was like a drowned rat.

yankeedoodle
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 09:13 - 13 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

this isnt such a bad idea. I need to do some work on the bandit so maybe cycling is an option. Work is (I've just calculated) 5.7 miles away. So maybe I could do this in 30-45 mins. I need the exercise too. In fact, I'm glad I read this post. This could benefit me alot. Very Happy

Ariel, are you a teacher?

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:00 - 13 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

yankeedoodle wrote:
this isnt such a bad idea. I need to do some work on the bandit so maybe cycling is an option. Work is (I've just calculated) 5.7 miles away. So maybe I could do this in 30-45 mins. I need the exercise too. r?

45 minutes? Are you planning on stopping off for a sly pint or two on the way home? Razz Razz

yankeedoodle
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:34 - 13 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
yankeedoodle wrote:
this isnt such a bad idea. I need to do some work on the bandit so maybe cycling is an option. Work is (I've just calculated) 5.7 miles away. So maybe I could do this in 30-45 mins. I need the exercise too. r?

45 minutes? Are you planning on stopping off for a sly pint or two on the way home? Razz Razz

Im over estimating then? I'll give it a go and let you know how long it takes. A sly pint is a given anyway Thumbs Up Smile

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:27 - 13 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do when I can be arsed, it's nice in the morning when I'm starting at 7am.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:10 - 13 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do any day it's not wet, but work is probably just over a mile away when cycling - so pop home at lunch times too.

shaun_04
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 08:04 - 14 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cycle. There and back is just over 21miles. Time varies depending on how tired I am, and how much SIS stuff I've eaten/drunk before hand. I can't do it two days in a row, my legs are always stiff the next day no matter how much I stretch or warm down.

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 09:53 - 14 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use the SIS stuff, until I realised it was costing me as much as petrol would!

Villers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:27 - 14 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The traffic to where I work can be pretty horrendous and theres always been a number of people who cycle. The company even has a 'cycle to work scheme' where you can buy bikes locally from your wages before tax and thus save cash.

Problem with this is the idiots dont have any training and in some cases it looks like zero road sense either. The roads are less than ideal and accidents have been known to happen. Was even a death once.

Theres the arseholes who ride two abreast also.

I know its evil but cos Im a complete lazy get I find it impossible to have a giggle when they are sat at the side of the road changing a puncture or looking complete knackered going up one of the bigger hills lol.

I remember being behind a hige crane truck doing about 30 on the way to work. It was belting down with rain and I was on the CBR all wrapped up in my waterproofs. This truck was kicking about 8 feet of spray either side and as he overtook a biker the guy just disappered for about 5 seconds and I thought 'fook that', poor sod.

I personally couldnt manage it due to some health issues but would love to save some cashe doing it! Fair play to the sensible ones that do it though! Thumbs Up

shaun_04
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:14 - 14 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

maurice wrote:
I used to use the SIS stuff, until I realised it was costing me as much as petrol would!

Lol, true.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 291 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1