Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Courts deny witnesses the right to anonymity - WTF???

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

GhostRider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 25 Jun 2008    Post subject: Courts deny witnesses the right to anonymity - WTF??? Reply with quote

Just caught Radio 2,

It seems that the law lords have now decided that no one is allowed to be an anonymous witness testifying against someone anymore, and that the accused should know who is testifying against them and see them face to face.

Yet another example of the brain-dead fucking idiots running this circus.

Do they really think anyone would ever come forward knowing damn well that the accused is going to get a good look at them, and may probably know them, which is inevitably going to result in said witnesses' door coming off at 3am and given a baseball bat massage or worse?

The arguements put forth are that they witness may have a grudge against the accused and so may testify to have a chance at hooking up with their girlfriend (the guy on the radio seriously said this as part of his arguement FOR) or just doesnt like that person and wants them to get locked up. I seriously can not think of anybody who would be stupid/desperate enough to be a witness at a trail of such seriousness just because they dont like the person, and willfully risk a bullet through the temple.

The people jailed for the shooting of the Shakespeare Girls on new years eve in Aston, Birmingham are now going to appeal against their conviction since disguised witnesses were present in their trial. I can assure anybody on good authority that if those jailed knew who was testifying against them then I wouldnt even give it a week before their heads were blown of their fucking shoulders.

I am missing something here or is this more insanity being injected into an already dismal British Law system?

GhostRider
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:31 - 25 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read about this yesterday on the BBC news website, its opened a real can of worms. I understand the logic behind the decision by the law lords, but as was mentioned in the article on the BBC web site, its idealism over pragmatism in this case.

As you say, you're just not going to get people coming forward. A balance needs to be struck between the two ends. I didn't hear the radio 2 thing (assuming its the JV show...) Witnesses must be made fully aware of the penalties for contempt and attempting to pervert the course of justice.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7471025.stm is what I read yesterday...

Thumbs Up

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:40 - 25 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is in the UK we do not have a witness protection scheme.

Otherwise non anon for witnesses is a GOOD thing, in that how exactly are you supposed to cross examine a witness and see if they are lying or not if you are given a statement on a piece of paper?.

Its almost as bad as the terrorism laws where you aren't allowed to see evidence presented against you..... also if the defence cannot ascertain who the identity of who the witness what safeguards are there that this witness actually exists?.

Who says it isn't a corrupt cop or corrupt CPS officer who wants to bump up his conviction stats and makes up testimony? , people at university fake interviews for their dissertations, marketting people fake results to get cash, why not the CPS?.

And yes there are people with big grudges , think of how many false rape cases there have been recently. I recall still in the 90s this case which happened nearby where I lived a deaf bloke was arrested for rape and battery, it went all the way to court, and she lied in court against him (she had been dumped by him) , turned out she had tied herself up and had her mate beat her up and pour paint on her.

We find it terribly unfair as motorists when the police withold their evidence photos until the very last second, this is pretty much the same thing.

Somewhat of course idealistic but thats how it is supposed to work.

EDIT

a good example of this is a terrible film called my cousin vinny, I managed to get the only treadmill infront of this TV screen, where the cross examination allows the defence council to tear apart the testimony of the witnesses.

EDIT 2

Oh and witness testimony should be known as not very reliable evidence anyway, much like people mistake DNA evidence as a magic bullet and will solve all crimes, or even finger prints which are discredited as evidence.

I've been berated by plenty of people for speeding like a lunatic when I was way below the limit and riding straight and level.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Last edited by Itchy on 11:47 - 25 Jun 2008; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 11:47 - 25 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The law has been inconsistent for years. It also depends on the judge, barristers, etc. as some appear to be just treading water or like to make trouble because they can.

For example take the rape laws. Woman accused man and has complete anonymity. Yet his man and face can be plastered all over the media as if guilty until proved innocent. Even then if found innocent probably lost job and family and seen as an leper by the community. IMO should be equal rights, both named or both anonymous. Wonder if that'll ever happen Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 25 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in terms of rape, anonymity isn't guaranteed for the victim and in terms of the story, females giving false testimony is another matter altogether and definitely one that could have its own thread to itself due to the negative effects it has.

Written testimony has always been admissable in court using precognitions (in Scotland anyway) and statements I think in England (and Scotland too.)

I think this refers to evidence when its given from behind screens. Legal counsel are permitted to see who they are questioning, the defendants are not.

There is some text in law where it basically says defendants have a right to see whom is accusing them of such and such a crime.

Quote:
In their ruling, the Law Lords argued it has been a fundamental principle of English Law that the accused should be able to see his accusers and challenge them.

I'd agree with this if its a simple burglary or mugging, but if its a criminal ring where it can be proven beyond reasonable doubt that retribution would be forthcoming if testimony is given, then anonymity should be given.

I must admit to being a wee bit baffled, if I was sitting listening to someone answer questions about something I did, I reckon I could probably work out who it was just by the info they were divulging...

Confused

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 13:33 - 25 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

pa_broon74 wrote:
...Legal counsel are permitted to see who they are questioning, the defendants are not.

There is some text in law where it basically says defendants have a right to see whom is accusing them of such and such a crime.

Quote:
In their ruling, the Law Lords argued it has been a fundamental principle of English Law that the accused should be able to see his accusers and challenge them.

I see no problem with the defendant not being able to see his/her accusers and challenging them because in a court as he/she has delegated that responsibility to the barrister(s) who represent them. The only way they should be able to do this is to defend themselves. Then again, I'm no legal expert obviously Rolling Eyes

However, IMO another example of how the law can be seen to be an ass and therefore not respected and ignored. I'd like to think I'd do the right thing and if the situation ever arose be a witness. However, it appears I must now temper that with having to think of the welfare of my family and those I love.

Laws are meant to represent the feelings of a community at a given time. If they don't do this then they'll fall into disrepute.

Just my Penny Coin worth

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

GhostRider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:17 - 25 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the guys who phoned into the show told a story of how 20 years ago he witnessed a brutal robbery whihc involved people being stabbed, he was asked to give a statement, and was then told that he would have to appear in court and testify as a witness. He protested, sayin that he knew the people involved and what they were capable of, but the police told him he didnt have a choice.

So the inevitable happened and he got door-stepped, being told that if he uttered a word he was going to get his throat sliced, and also got grief in the streets.

He asked for police protection, and as you can guess, the police said they couldnt do a thing until somebody actually did something to him - so yes, you have to be stabbed before we can offer you protection to stop you from being stabbed......"

He turns up in court and refuses to say anything, court is adjourned and the judge takes him into his quarters and then says ay up whats going on here, guy explains the situation and that he is thinking of the welfare of his wife and kids. Judge says ahhh ok then, and then carries on the court proceedings, and puts it on record that if the guy doesnt give his testimony then he would be arrested and charged with perjury...... and so that happens, since he said being arrested cant be as bad as getting knifed. In the end the accused changed their plea so they were locked up anyway but it just goes to show how much the powers that be really couldnt give a flying fuck as long as they get their conviction and boost them oh so precious stats.

I think in the context of rape its a different ball-game. If someone is accused of rape, then chances are they are going to know who it is that they raped, surely? Therefore witness anonymity seems rather pointless, but I think Pa_broon74 covered that rather well.

GhostRider
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 01:02 - 27 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with this, how is a person suppose to defend him/herself if they do not know where the testimony is coming from.

i.e. Mark is on a murder wrap,

John is tesifing that he saw Mark commit the murder,

Mark slept with Johns wife years ago and John is lying about his testimony.

If Mark doesn't know who John his how can he defend himself?

Shay HTFC
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:35 - 27 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a really difficult one to answer.

Would you stand up in court against a serious killer if you knew that he'd be able to see your face and know who you were?
I know I wouldn't!

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 08:12 - 27 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
...Mark slept with Johns wife years ago...

I deny that, we're just good friends, I was drunk Wink Very Happy Embarassed

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 13:05 - 27 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets not forget many guys are weak... a girl has a grievance with a bloke, lies through her teeth and gets him arrested. If she happens to have any blokes desperate to get in her knickers and naturally resenting this ex of hers who /has/ got in her knickers...

Not a big stretch to make up a load of bullshit to curry favour.
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 313 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1