Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Riding clothes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mattastic
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:32 - 12 Mar 2004    Post subject: Riding clothes Reply with quote

I have started investing in clothes as I about to start my training. I have just bought this helmet on ebay for £23 and £7 postage and packaging. I've heard of the make but do you more experienced riders think it is worth it?

https://i7.ebayimg.com/02/i/01/72/a2/76_1_b.JPG

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 19:36 - 12 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

Do NOT trust a second hand helmet. You don't know if its been dropped, and if it has it could be very dangerous.

Also, the most important thing about a lid is that it fits properly, and you are very unlikely to be lucky enough to get one that does off ebay.

Get into your local dealers and try a shit load on till you find one that fits properly.

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 19:37 - 12 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

No no no no no no no NO!

You shouldn't have bought a helmet on eBay!

The only thing that really matters about a helmet is whether it fits correctly or not. As long as it is approved by the BSI or whoever and it fits correctly you are fine, however at £23 I doubt it is even a fibreglass one.

By buying a helmet off eBay you have no idea on whether it will fit or not, how many times it has been dropped, how many times the postman will drop it, etc.

Edit: Damn McJam beating me!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:40 - 12 Mar 2004    Post subject: Re: Riding clothes Reply with quote

Does it fit you?
If it has no damage and is a good fit then it's good.

If it has damage or is a bad fit then it can be dangerous.

Generally it's best to make sure you try a helmet on first. If you're going to buy mail order then you can usually still try one in a local shop before you order.

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 20:16 - 12 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

No G... I disagree. I was shown a helmet that had been dropped by a bike instructor, it showed no external damage because the outer shell is flexible.

The inner shell is where the protection lies, and if this is damaged then it will offer little of no help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

divuk83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:25 - 12 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an article in ride a while back about this dropping helmets. They said a small drop was not that likely to cause internal damage, however there is no way to be sure about it as you can't tell without cutting the helmet open and destroying it to see.

I would be very wary about wearing that lid as you have no idea what has happened to it.

Also, as others have said, its best not to order a lid online as all different companies have different fits and sizes. For example, my head is a medium for a Shark lid, and a medium-large for an AGV. Fit is very important, there is no substitute for actually trying one on.

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 12 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

see above

sorry you've wasted your money

bin it before you bin your head

Shoei is a good make (one of the top two) but second hand it may as well be a flowerpot

go try some new ones and buy one from a shop

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:04 - 12 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know the right shop you will be able to get a good brand helmet for about £30-70, reduced from about £100 upwards because it's "out" or for whatever reason.

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:52 - 12 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrchips wrote:
reduced from about £100 upwards because it's "out" or for whatever reason.

Sounds like my bicycle, reduced by £100 because it was last years colours Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WheelieKing
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 00:03 - 13 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with all of the above BUT however I can vouch for the helmet bag as being of high quality as I have one the same for my shoei. Keep the bag and bin the lid....or we could run it over in the car to test it!! Now there's an idea!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:45 - 13 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup Shoei bags are good

the lids are also superb

but NEVER secondhand

Mattastic
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:06 - 13 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind, I'll live and learn. It has no marks or scratches at all and the bloke said he has never dropped it etc. I know he could be lying but he sounded ok.

Looks like I have myself a decent bag though!!!

Mr C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:09 - 13 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

good on yer

now bin it and go try some on in a bike shop where the assitant knows what they are talking about

most all lids these days are acu approved so fit and comfort is much more important than name

ZaphodBeeble
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:34 - 13 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shop where I bought my helmet was pretty cool. Had loads of them on show and the assistant got my head size right pretty much straight away. Thumbs Up Smile

When you have the helmet on it's best to try and take it off (with the strap tight) by grabbing the back of it. That will see if it is a good enough fit to stop it flying off if you have an accident. Also, make sure your ears feel OK because sometimes you get a helmet which you think fits OK but then it will start hurting your ears. (Then again I have big ears hehe).

Good luck. Thumbs Up

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 13:49 - 13 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I agree with all the above scond hand clothing is fine but lids are definatley a no no.

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:01 - 13 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an Akito jacket, lining and trousers for £25 off someone who lost interest in bikes. Razz

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 17:53 - 13 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a set of two peice leathers for 150 pounds.

flat spot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:08 - 13 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

......and do you really want to wear a helmet who someone else has sweated in, sneezed in (check for oysters on the nose guard) and quite frankly probably had nits. Eeeewwwww. Sick
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 47 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1