 LustyLew World Chat Champion

Joined: 19 Apr 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:44 - 05 Aug 2008 Post subject: Bike wiring - what to do? |
 |
|
Right,
last week I finally got round to picking my motorbike up from my old flat. The landlord was quite happy with me leaving it in the 'secure' underground car-park.
After getting all kitted up and hopping on. I was a tad concerned when the lights didnt come on with the ignition. Imagine even more worry when it wouldnt start. Not even a click from a relay.
Hopped off and on closer inspection some nasty scrote has tried to hot-wire it! Sliced completely through the loom and tried to twist all the wires together. Doing this did give them full electrics, but the gods must have been shining on me as it didnt start the fuel pump, so there was no hope in starting it.
I have now got bullet connectors on the the wires, so it is happily starting again. There looks to be no further damage and no lasting damage to the battery.
Now, I'm after opinions:
Should I shroud each wire in heat shrink tubing and then the whole lot in one section?
Or, should I strip out that part of the loom and completely rewire it from scratch? ____________________ Like a Yorkie - I'm not for the girls  |
|
 iooi Super Spammer

Joined: 14 Jan 2007 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 14:55 - 05 Aug 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
I would go the heat shrink way, unless you can get a loom 2nd hand to do the job. ____________________ Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am...... |
|
 yandy_yay Brolly Dolly

Joined: 01 Aug 2008 Karma :  
|
|
 Deckx Nearly there...

Joined: 09 Apr 2007 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 20:02 - 06 Aug 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
as recommended i would solder everthing and them wrap it with self amalagating tape.. not going to mention what i've done in the past ,but took my RVf to a garage once and after taking one look at my "handowork" pretty much refused to touch it  |
|