Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Need advice on bike buying

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:09 - 21 Mar 2004    Post subject: Need advice on bike buying Reply with quote

Bit of a dilemma here Confused

i've been looking to buy a new bike for a few weeks now. Narrowed it down to maybe a GSXR600 or CBR600. Anyways, as I live in Glasgow there doesn't seem to be much choice of second hand bikes around, particularly private sales. Most bikes I see which interest me are waaaaaaay down south. I have no interest in driving 7 or 8 hours in a van to see a bike. I don't think I could be arsed if it was more than 3 hours away to be honest.

I have checked out https://www.motorcycle-delivery.co.uk and it seems like a reasonably priced service. The thing is I have saw bikes on ebay which I fancy, but I'm a bit apprehensive about buying a bike which I have never seen. What do you guys think?

I like the look of this bike if I could get it for the starting price or near enough

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9806&item=2467958868&ssPageName=STRK:MEBWA:IT

Cheers Thumbs Up

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:11 - 21 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it's been riden hard. And IME thats a bad thing Neutral.

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 19:13 - 21 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's rather nice.

R6Stu is in Southampton he could view it if you asked him nicely?

I'm in Portsmouth but wouldn't fancy viewing it if somethings wrong and I don't notice, don't want to be responsible for you buying something you don't want or something.

But someones bound to be aroundhere that can view.

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:22 - 21 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
I'd say it's been riden hard. And IME thats a bad thing Neutral.

Yeah, I know what your saying. I think most sports bike around have seen a bit of red line action though Wink I don't necessarily think it's detrimental to the bike, if it has been looked after and services well though. At least the guys been honest and by the looks of it, it's his pride and joy.

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:27 - 21 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

YamsR6 wrote:
I'm in Portsmouth but wouldn't fancy viewing it if somethings wrong and I don't notice, don't want to be responsible for you buying something you don't want or something.

But someones bound to be around here that can view.

Yeah someone else mentioned about asking someone to view a bike for me. I'm a bit unsure about asking someone as I wouldn't like to put them in that position.

Cheers though

ProXimaCore
Dougal

PostPosted: 19:34 - 21 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same situation as you True Blue. I live not too far from you and I've noticed there's bugger all 600s going privately. Ones that I like anyway. I'm looking to get a ZX7R. There's the odd 6R now and then but 7R is non existent. Down south is where all the decent ones are.

I don't really want to travel for hours to view a bike that I might not even buy. Where you'd probably convince yourself to just take it anyway since you've driven so far. Not good.

Although I'm addicted to ebay and I've looked at many bikes on there. I don't think I'd actually buy one that I hadn't been to look at. That one certainly looks nice though.

Don't know what the answer is though... Thinking
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:37 - 21 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't ask someone to go and view the bike and decide if it's a good buy or not. Ask someone to go and view it to see if's a lemon or not, then go and see it for yourself. You can get cheap flights from Easy Jet type people for like £20 so that's easy enough. Smile

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:41 - 21 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it's a predicament alright.

I'm looking at that bike and thinking Drooling but at the same time I'm thinking " Don't be daft " Confused

By the way, ProXimaCore, I just noticed the other day that you were from Falkirk. Not that far. Actually I'm working real close at Grangemouth at the moment. We'll need to hook up sometime for a blast on the bikes Wink

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 21 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking Hmmm, I see your point Ste

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:45 - 21 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a mate with a Blackbird, and his mates ride mainly zx9r's blades, an R1 and one guy had an R6. his ws T reg, and he got it secondhand, with about 6k. its done 20k now and he reckoned the valves have started to hammer into the seats, and that the head was worn. he rode it hard, but i remember him saying that he was looking for a low mileage scrapped R6 to do a head transplant with. I suppose he might be right? but frequent oil changes and checking the valve clearances at the regular intervals might not be enough on a bike that is constantly hammered? As a total contrast my zx6r has never been revved over 12k and usually less than that, and i change the oil after every winter even if it had done only 2000miles before i put it away for winter. of course i suppose it could work the other way, and instead i could have an engine thats 5-8bhp down on a well thrashed example?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:49 - 21 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really know much about bike to be honest. But any bike that I buy could have been thrashed I suppose Confused

swaffs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:58 - 21 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar issue, although I am down south, but was in newcastle with family and someone was selling one in carlisle.
I never managed to get across to view and didn't buy it, eventually found the sweetest cbr600 that was only 50 miles from me on ebay, but wouldn't part without viewing, although didn't ride it cause it was chucking it down and I didn't want to risk it.

The rest is history.

don't forget HPI. I was looking at 2 that were cheap, HPI'd them on one was a cat 'D' insurance write off !! (This guy was advertising as trade in Bike Trader !!!)
I brought the other !!!

you can get a brief hpi on 3 vehicles for about 20 quid.
Invaluable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:01 - 21 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Cat. D write off is perfectly road legal. Thumbs Up

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:10 - 21 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just talking to this guy with the above CBR. He said it would be a waste of my money doing a HPI check Rolling Eyes ( of course he would ) It's alright, I can afford it. Wink

swaffs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 21 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure,
but the guy never told me about it and was selling it Very chep, so it put me off.

if you feel something is not right abut the bike, HPI can always put you mind at rest of confirm your doubts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 46 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1