BCF: Bike Chat Forums

An idea

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help
View previous topic : View next topic  

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:15 - 19 Mar 2004    Post subject: An idea Reply with quote

I had this kind of idea ages ago when I was thinking about a UK bike-stunting forum.

Whether korn would want to allow access to his database etc, or host for other people is another matter:

It'd be good if we could have 'sub forums'; that were separate entities, but with a shared user-database. Thus the forums would be linked to a degree, but would still be separate. That way, if say Goose wanted to start a Bros forum he could have a place to discuss them that wasn't full of all the other general stuff, and hopefully it would be a mutually beneficial link; as all the new Bros-members would also have immediate access to BCF, with out being overwhelmed by it while anyone that joined BCF with a Bros would also have an easy access to a forum related to their bike.

Thought I'd mention it now as some dissenting midlanders were talking about a separate forum to talk amongst themselves; I can kinda see their point as it's getting a lot harder to find the posts written by the people I know; the main reason I come to this forum. This way having say a separate Midland bike forum would probably attract more users in total to BCF; ie those that come midlandbikeforum.com or whatever then post some more general stuff on BCF.

Of course the logistics of it all would be quite nasty and whether Korn would want to have it set up like this is another matter.
Another thing I'd considered a while ago which would tie in nicely with Korn considering renting some hosting would be for him to sell a 'ready made' bike forum which was linked to BCF to some degree. Possibilities there for creating bike forums for various other sites, for instance shops and other 'real life' bike clubs as well as other websites with messageboards or inferior forums*.

*I'll forward you details to send me my comission cheque Wink

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:20 - 19 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the super-moto forum on Visordown?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:21 - 19 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, just like that, well from what I know of it anyway.

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 18:37 - 19 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds a good idea.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:11 - 19 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

But does this mean we'd have a southerners forum that all the IRC people would go to?

That sounds like clique...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:42 - 19 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

There wouldn't be anything stopping other people posting in other relevant forums, but it does mean that many of the long-timers that don't post much might have somewhere more friendly to continue posting.

The idea is more so that all the new people don't get harassed, while all the people that regularly meet up in the midlands can still chat on a 'closer' level, without getting annoyed at all the new people they don't know interrupting etc.

Okay it is a bit of a clique, but I suspect it will turn out better for everyone in the long run: to start with the new people won't be posting into such a 'closed' society.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 23:11 - 19 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've convinced me that its a good idea. I'm not personally bothered about cliques actually, they are going to appear on any medium to large forum. Theres no way of stopping it.

What you'd effectively be doing in your suggestion is taking a medium or large forum and structuring it so that you have the advantages of a big forum with the advantages of a small forum.

It gets my vote! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G1_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:45 - 20 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

But surely that means that newbies would never be integrated into the site?
If people have forums that are more specific to them I don't see them bothering posting in general chat or having hardly any contact with new people at all. I reckon this will just stunt the growth of the forum. It may work if the forum was bigger...

Besides I wouldn't know where to post as I'm not really in a 'clique' but surely the forum is here for everyone and not just for those in a clique.

Besides all the new forums and sub forums are getting confusing as it is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:27 - 20 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, my original idea was for a UK stunt forum, of which I only know of one other and not that great at that. People would still find BCF as they are doing now, but people that did a search Google UK search for 'stunt forum' would find the stunt forum, post on their a bit, then maybe have a look at the main BCF for more general biking related chat.
In the same way someone might go looking specifically for a midland forum, then move to BCF for general bike related chat.

I'm not suggesting that we have 10 sub forums all with their own 'general chat' in, rather that the sub forums have sections dedicated to their purpose.
If someone joined a midland forum and doesn't post in the main BCF, I don't see it being that much of a loss because they probably wouldn't have joined BCF in the first place anyway.

Also, note that I am suggesting this because the forum is getting a whole load bigger it seems. There is 162 new users so far this month, the same time last year for all of march there was 27 new users. Last August had the most new users before this year at 73, that would suggest that this August we could quite possibly get over 600 new users! As the forum gets more popular it will also start to be listed higher and more frequently in search engines etc.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:34 - 20 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had loads of new members this months because Korn sent e-mails to his customers. Laughing

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:21 - 20 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Korn continues to send emails to his customers then we'll continue to get even more new users.

Last month still attracted five times the new users of the previous year.

Dusty
King of the Rim

PostPosted: 16:49 - 20 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Goose starts a Bros forum I'll join. Razz

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 00:20 - 21 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
If Korn continues to send emails to his customers then we'll continue to get even more new users.

Not a good thing? You lot were complaining all the newbies coming on were ped/125 riders - my customers nearly all have big bikes... Thinking

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 03:02 - 21 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. Smile

Still n00b, but less so. \o/

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:57 - 21 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korn wrote:

Not a good thing? You lot were complaining all the newbies coming on were ped/125 riders - my customers nearly all have big bikes... Thinking

Not really saying it's a good or a bad thing, just stating a fact that the forum's most probably going to get a lot bigger over this year.
One of the reasons that the midlanders etc don't want to get rid of their usergroup is that they are a fairly small community, or 'clique' I suppose... of friends that all know each other in 'real life' as well as on this interweb thingamy.
While on boards like visordown only the people that have postcounts in the tens of thousands seem to properly know everyone; though sections like the separate supermoto forum and trackday and racing section etc do seem to be a bit more friendly.

Personally I find joining an already-big forum a bit intimidating anyway, because it means learning about a lot of people before you know what's going on.

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 18:49 - 22 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about being able to only see posts/topics people you've set as "Friends"? That would maybe be easier then seperate forums and would also stop the clique-iness Very Happy

JimboJ
Manc Pikey

PostPosted: 13:29 - 23 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't we just hold interviews for new members? Stephen and someone else could interview them to their high standards and expectations Razz

Sounds a good idea in theory, although now that there is a new user group thingy, I see a lot less traffic in General chat. I think the inactivity of the general community and less of the big guns has made it "boring" and a lot of tension between users is another cause. I think someone mentioned it but now IRC is here most people tend not to post because they just prefer to tell their friends and leave it at that. Plus we haven't had any blonde Embarassed moments to amuse us recently!

James
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> which one's the missionary position
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> i've heard it's good
[9:42pm] <Shaun> you came first mike | <Shaun> yes gav, because I really want to fuck you

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:48 - 23 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimboJ wrote:
Why don't we just hold interviews for new members? Stephen and someone else could interview them to their high standards and expectations Razz

I can do that with Robby. If they're fuckwits, Robby can get them deported. Laughing Thumbs Up

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:00 - 23 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
I can do that with Robby. If they're fuckwits, Robby can get them deported. Laughing Thumbs Up

LMAO! Very Happy

Maybe we should just get you two to interview all UK residents! Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 41 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1