Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How to get started

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

RickHolt
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:37 - 21 Mar 2004    Post subject: How to get started Reply with quote

Hello, this is my first post here so please go easy Confused

Bit about me to start with.

I'm 18, live in Manchester. Currently at college and looking to join either the Army of the Police force later this year. I only have a provisional car license and have never even sat on a motorcycle.

That said, I'm looking into the best way for me to get into riding.

The two options I see really right now are to:-

1) Take the CBT, pass the test, and get any bike I want restricted to 33bhp.

2) Take the CBT, buy a bike like the NSR125 (restricted), practice for a while, take the test, derestrict and remove L plates.

The problem I have is choosing which road to go down. If I was to pass the test before buying a bike, I could get a higher cc, would that be a better option? Or would a 125 be plenty for a couple of years until the limits are lifted and I can ride what I want?

I'd prefer not to mess around buying a cheap bike now for practice, then upgrading when I pass the test.

Hope this makes sense.

Rick.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RickHolt
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:45 - 21 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I should have mentioned the bike will be used for almost everything.

Commuting to college, sunday morning fun, showing off, hobby/project, possible long distance commuting later in the year, impulsive trips all over the country etc.

So I'm not looking to have a CG125 or anythin like that really.

Money isn't an issue, I'm prepared to work for it.

Rick.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 15:09 - 21 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion is buy a old 125 such as a dt or kmx learn on that do your test later in the year once you have soome experiance don't spend much on a 125 say 500 pounds.

laura

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 18:48 - 21 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest that CBT - 125 is the way to go.

I say that because if you go straight for some training and a test, you'll be having to get your head round roadsense as well as the test stuff, as you've said you haven't ridden a bike and don't drive a car. With your Ls, you can build up roadsense before throwing money at test training.

Do your CBT straight away, see how you feel after that. You might find it piss easy and decide to do an intensive to pass your test, you might find it a bit more of a challenge and decide that a 125 is the way.

Plenty people on here have ridden NSR125s for years before particularly feeling the need for anything bigger.

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 19:17 - 21 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other people however, have got bored of NSR's after 8 weeks Rolling Eyes . Personally, I think if you are stuck with the NSR for two years, by the end of those two years you may be a little bored of it. This is only following my example, you may be different, but I think doing your test and getting a bigger bike early is the way to go.

Of course, it's all down to you mate, do what's right for you Smile Thumbs Up .

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 19:46 - 21 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're bored of it's top end. Believe me, you haven't reached the limits of it's handling.

He wouldn't be stuck with it for 2 years anyway, could decide to do his test at any time. It just strikes me that with zero experience, an intensive isn't the way to go.

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:39 - 24 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

He can't do intensive course anyway Bendy...only 18 (man I feel old) Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:17 - 24 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can. Only difference is what bike you do it on, and what test you do at the end.

fuzz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:04 - 24 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the same situation. I've decided though to get an NSR now to practice on and get some road experience. Then I can take my test on it and get it de-restricted. After 2 years, I can then think of getting something bigger if I want. As I am 24, I was going to do DAS, but since I found using a geared bike was harder than I expected, I've changed my outlook on things. Just go for the option that suits you best. I'd rather spend more money on something I really like and will use alot than spend again 6 months down the line.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:06 - 24 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do your DAS. Even if you only use a smaller bike after doing it for a few months, you can then move up to a bigger bike then without either being illegal or having to do another test. Thumbs Up

Phil.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:02 - 24 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say get the 125 on your provisional, do a few miles on that but put in for some lessons and your test as soon as you feel ready. The sooner you can 'legally' get yourself on a bigger bike the better.

I did my test when i were 17. Got my SV650 when i was 18, never restricted that. If you don't do your test you will have wait some 3 years for anything with abit of go in it, yawn.

Lauras spot on there, don't spend alot on a 125 if you can. I lost loads of money in mine.

p.s. Nice to have some more mancs on BCF!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RickHolt
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:43 - 24 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many people just ignore the 33bhp restriction and ride what they way? How would you get caught and what's the punishment for it?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 37 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1