Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

NSR Starting Question

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

ProXimaCore
Dougal

PostPosted: 10:15 - 25 Mar 2004    Post subject: NSR Starting Question Reply with quote

Oh no... not another NSR wont start thread!

Nah it's not. The bike starts up and runs good. There's just something not right about it when I start it up for the first time of the day. If I don't use the choke then the bike will not start. The engine tries but doesn't fire up. If I then take the choke out, then it takes a little while of pressing the starter. Maybe 10 seconds, then it'll start. If I try to rev it then it starts to die but just before it does die it picks up again and stays on. Not really a major problem but it's not normal so therefore I want to get it sorted incase there's any problems in the future.

After the bike is warmed up the bike starts absolutely fine every time without the need for the choke or anything. It can't be the cold weather that's causing it because it worked better during the middle of winter.

Any help appreciated. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:35 - 25 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't be of much help I'm afraid Razz All I can suggest is that if it is working okay then DO NOT FIDDLE Mr. Green Trust me on this..

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 12:07 - 25 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a mildly fucked battery. Check the fluid level and give it a charge, if the problem continues get a new battery.

rizzla
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:30 - 25 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use to get this problem i slightly richened up the fuel/air mix in the winter

vf1000f2f
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:49 - 25 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

most bike's like a little choke on the first start of the day i wouldn't worry too much Shifty

monkeyman
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:06 - 26 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine pretty much the same, will start on without choke in the cold but if you give to much throttle early it dies, very tricky to start cold without choke.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jimbo
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:40 - 27 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every two-stroke i've ever had started like this in the morning. It's completely normal.

The choke is needed because when the bike is cold, the fuel condenses out on the inside of the engine and the mixture gets too lean. The choke restricts the air going into the engine, so the mixture richens and will burn properly. But for the first 30 secs or so, the engine is trying to fire up and also clear the condensed fuel out of the crankcase. So if you rev it during the first 30 secs, you over-richen an already over-rich mixture, which makes the engine die (you can usually smell it too).
The choke is positioned to give the best compromise for these conditions so it's ok to leave it alone and let it do it's work.

According to Honda. the choke should only be left on for 30-60 seconds, and as you have seen, this is the time needed for your bike to start reving normally.
Leaving it in the sun helps starting too.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 35 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1