Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

D I Y wheelie cut out

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

vf1000f2f
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:53 - 22 Mar 2004    Post subject: D I Y wheelie cut out Reply with quote

hi to all BCF members!
my bike is not the type for pulling wheelies but i'm thinking of constructing a cut out like bikes have at wheelie schools do they just cut the power to one coil on a 4 cylinder if thats the case it should be a easy job i have the switch all sorted bar the adjustment(point of balance) is taking out one cylinder from firing enough to bring the bike down?????. I know it's a sissy way to learn but could save a lot of damage if i flip

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:01 - 23 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought it to be easier just to wire it into the kill switch.

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 08:16 - 23 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best place to wire them in is to the side stand switch as you already have bullet connectors to join it to.
20:02:36 Jammy-R6: any holes a goal
20:02:48 kev: even if its a hairy mans arse
20:02:56 Jammy-R6: hell yes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:07 - 23 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't flip it until you become good. Then it will sneak up on you without any notice! Wink

One of the wheelie schools sells a kit for their wheelie cut out switches.

Oh and search for a video on here called "Meh". Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:39 - 23 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
You won't flip it until you become good.

Oh and search for a video on here called "Meh". Wink

Blimey, are you paying G a compliment there?! That might go some way to remove his current 'meh'ness! Laughing Laughing

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:42 - 23 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob wrote:

Blimey, are you paying G a compliment there?! That might go some way to remove his current 'meh'ness! Laughing Laughing

You know he's better than you and I! Wink

Rob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 23 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
You know he's better than you and I! Wink

He may be better but he still has a lot to learn about choosing a decent bike manufacturer! Wink Laughing

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:05 - 23 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.skunkworks.webaxxs.net/meh.mpg (5 meg)

Try this.

He wheelied a DR600 straight towards Me Korn, Dusty and John on sunday and we were a bit worried that he might not put it down for a fraction of a second! Smile

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 16:21 - 23 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Kev said wire it to the side stand switch (assuming your bike has one).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

vf1000f2f
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:55 - 23 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys i checked out the meh vid shame to see a nice bike take a spill. Is the concencus to have the cut out "kill" all the cylinders from firing then ? .I was thinking if i just cut out on one it would give my a smoother landing on the front end or drop it down
enough to maybe continue giving me back all cylinders when the trip deactivates as the front wheel drops?...maybe
p.s dont have stand cut out but am fairly ok with wiring

ZaphodBeeble
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:23 - 24 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how exactly does this thing work? I've never heard of anything like this.

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 08:11 - 24 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its basically a stick which pokes out of the back of the bike and when it hits the floor the bike cuts out so you don't flip it.
20:02:36 Jammy-R6: any holes a goal
20:02:48 kev: even if its a hairy mans arse
20:02:56 Jammy-R6: hell yes

vf1000f2f
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:11 - 24 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is what the stick looks like in position.Its just a simple cut out
that you loop inline to the power going to a coil or engine stop
so when activated it breaks the loop ...or thats the theory Rolling Eyes

ZaphodBeeble
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:05 - 24 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah I see, pretty simple then. I thought it was gonna be some mad contraption with mercury switches and stuff. Laughing

Dr Nick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 24 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZaphodBeeble wrote:
Ah I see, pretty simple then. I thought it was gonna be some mad contraption with mercury switches and stuff. Laughing

Aren't Mercury Switches used as detonators for plastic explosives Laughing .

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:01 - 24 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be wanting some tread on that tyre.. Confused

vf1000f2f
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:31 - 24 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You'll be wanting some tread on that tyre..

thats not my tyre thats a pic i found on the net to show what the switch looked like Wink

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:05 - 24 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not use a mercury tilt switch instead of a metal rod?

Much smaller, more discrete and more reliable I would have thought.

But maybe Im wrong.

Second thoughts having watched meh.mpg, probably wouldnt be accurate enough cus the flip point looks too quick and sensitive.

MitoIslander
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:44 - 24 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury switches aren't all that reliable.

I remember an experiment including some pyro-technic flamers and a mercury switch, the mercury sometimes sticks, this would mean the cut out would always be on.

Jay

hugo-a-gogo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:56 - 27 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon just a plain wheelie bar would be better, maybe with a little skate wheel on the end or something, that would stop it coming down too hard
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous."
Hunter S Thompson
clicky 4 bikey

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:08 - 28 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

loply wrote:
Why not use a mercury tilt switch instead of a metal rod?

Would also probably activate the first time you accelerated hard from some lights Confused.

Wheelie bars can actually make it more likely you'll flip than not having one if they're the small "12'o'clock" kind, to get a useful one you're going to need some quite impressive scaffolding hanging off the back of the bike.

When doing wheelies you only do that kinda thing (vid) when you can actually get to the balance point or there abouts and hold it there. When you're learning the basics a great 'survival instinct' will protect you; fear; you'll but it down before it gets anywhere near high enough.
Btw, that rd was pretty knackered when I did that wheelie anyway; all I did was snap the clutch lever Smile…. I’ve flipped a much nicer bike before Sad.

I have been thinking of making one for myself (though wouldn't have helped on the rd with no engine braking). I was thinking of having a fairly short one (say sticking out twice as far as a 12'o'clock bar, which just stack straight out the back. Thus you've got plenty of room to correct the mistake before it takes over.
You definitely want it on all cylinders, when you're getting that high unintentionally you're probably turning (vertically) pretty fast. A hard landing my damage your forks, but a hell of a lot less damage to you and your bike than flipping it I suspect Smile.
The engine will probably catch again on the way down when the kill switch is disengaged anyway.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 32 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1