Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Quite simply, my bike is bleeding.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheBoyChris
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:46 - 29 Mar 2004    Post subject: Quite simply, my bike is bleeding. Reply with quote

Pulled into my road after a 25 minute ride back from work. Everything was going well until I came to a halt and noticed something was wrong.

Smoke. Not much, but enough for me to think some minor fire had started. So... I cut the engine, clunk her into neutral and roll her onto the pavement, propping her up.

To cut a long story short it seems I'm loosing fluid, and it's greeny in colour. I know that it isn't brake fluid but I've got no idea what it actually *is*. So far the theory is that it's coolant, and that a stone chip has damaged my radiator, but as it's night and my torch is AWOL I can't check Sad

Does this sound about right? Also, I've got my MOT soon, should I chance riding it to the MOT and letting them fix whatever is wrong, or should I fix it ASAP.

I'm such a newbie with bikes at the moment, I've got no idea how to fix it, or even if I can/should.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

(Edit: My bike is an Aprilia RS125... figures huh...)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 22:50 - 29 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green stuff will be coolant or cheap 2 stroke oil. Was it oily? If not then it'll be the coolant. That may not be a problem as such, as you may of just lost some from te overflow if it was a bit full or if it was overheating. Was it abnormally hot?

TheBoyChris
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:53 - 29 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't oily, so yeah our guess is coolant. I don't think it was overflowing, but there was some steam and hissing at one point.

I'm going to get it sorted good and proper. Time to get the spanners...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 22:54 - 29 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like its overheated and pissed itself out of the overflow.

TheBoyChris
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:05 - 29 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really wasn't happy. I'm going to check it out tomorrow when I've got some light to deal with Smile

TheBoyChris
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:35 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, no obvious leak/crack so basically I'm just going to refill the collant, drive her round the block and see if I still get hassle.

One more question then if I may:

What do I fill it with? I'm assuming an Anti-Freeze/Distilled Water combo, but what ratio? 10 parts Anti-Freeze for every 100 water?

Thanks again, I feel like such a newbie :S

TheBoyChris
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:00 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind. I did the obvious and read the service manual (after finding it at last)

Next time, tell me to shut up and use the search button Smile

Git
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:02 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ethylene glycol suitable for aluminium engines mixed at a 1:1 ratio i would think, you can buy it already mixed, just pour it in, no messing about then.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:20 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The RS has no seperate overflow tank. It has a pressurised header tank. Could be the cap on that was not tight. There is also a bleed screw on one of the water bike which might be worth checking.

Use a 50/50 mix of water and antifreeze.

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 30 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1