Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bros minus oil?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dusty
King of the Rim

PostPosted: 01:23 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Bros minus oil? Reply with quote

Was on the motorway today when my Bros cut out in the fast lane. Neutral

When I got it to the hard shoulder there seemed to be a fair bit of smoke coming from the engine area and it refused to start. So I pushed it for about half a mile to the next junction gave it a bit of a shake and tried starting it again. It started but did not sound good, as I was on my way to a first day in a new job I had no choice but to carry on riding it. It was running but I had to keep revving it all the time, on route it cut out a couple more times, but restarted alright on the move.

Got to work in the end, only 45 minutes late.

At lunch time I decide to stick some oil in it, but had to use car oil as the garage didn't have any bike oil. I put a litre in but the oil was still not showing on the dip stick even when the bike was upright. It lasted the journey home alright, only cutting out a couple of times and didn't smoke.

When I got back I put some more oil in, it took about another litre for the oil to show up on the dip stick, and considering that it is supposed to take less than 3 litres total, I guess I was running it nearly dry.

My questions for the tech geniuses are -

Arrow Is this likely to have permanently damaged the engine?

Arrow Is there a chance that the engine has been damaged and will seize in the near future?

Arrow Should I ride this bike at Cadwell next week or is it going to launch me into the air mid corner? Shocked

Thanks for taking the time to read this sad story. Thumbs Up Laughing

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 10:06 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm it will of probably done some damage but how much would only be obvious with a strip down.

All I would do its give it an oil change now, run it a bit drain and fill with new fresh oil again and replace the filter.

That there would be the best thing to do in my view without doing a total strip and inspection of bearings, rings etc etc etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:31 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes

Yes but it won't seize in the near future

and No

Basically, the damage that has been done, has been done and I can't see any likelihood of it seizing once it has oil in it. The period of riding without oil was the time when it was most likely to seize. That has now passed. The only thing you have to worry about is wether there are large bits of swarf flaoting about in the oil. Personally, I would take it out for a good long thrash, or perhaps a few good long thrashes and then change the oil and filter before Cadwell.

I think the worst that can happen is that you have some scoring in the bores or something.

45 minutes late for your new job? Thats not like you at all Wink

You never know, you might be lucky and the engine is undamaged!

Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:17 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doubt it's done any real damage. That bike has nearly been round the clocks once, so I would reckon it's fairly bullet proof.

Drain the oil, change the filter, and keep a regular eye on the oil level during the day at Cadwell. It's not unusual for bikes to burn some oil anyway, so if it only holds 3 litres and hasn't been looked at for ages it could well have burnt a load off.

Late on your first day. Laughing oops. Neutral

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 19:00 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have damaged it, but its a tough engine. Do a compression test. If you don't have a compression tester I'll bring mine next time I pop up to G's.
Healthy on a compression test is about 110-150 psi.

Dusty
King of the Rim

PostPosted: 19:12 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies chaps. Thumbs Up

Strangely it actually ran better today than it has ever run - the engine was less rattly/grind. However, it still cuts out every now and then(normally when I'm in the middle of a roundabout Rolling Eyes ) and I think the oil I put in might have kind of killed the clutch Confused it now seems to be slipping a bit. It probably wasn't a good idea to mix 3 different types of oil, but still never mind, it got me to work (ON TIME Shocked ) and back again today so can't complain.

I'm going to take it for a thrash tonight and see what happens.

I also decided to increase the rear tyre pressure from 12psi to around 30psi, this seems to have helped the handling and stopped the rear end trying to dance while I'm going round corners. Laughing

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:55 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Most likely things to suffer damage are the big end bearings and the cams / valve gear. If you can then take off the rocker cover and have a look. The bits might look a bit blue from the heat.

If the big ends have been damaged then they are likely to start to knock soon, and then fail totally, probably taking the crank out.

All the best

Keith

Dusty
King of the Rim

PostPosted: 00:43 - 31 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kieth. Thumbs Up

If I get a chance at the weekend I'll have a look. Although engines to tend to be outside my limited understanding of 'how things work'. Confused

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:07 - 31 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

What car oil did you put in it?

When I used car oil in the ZX6R it was obvious that it had killed the clutch plates within a couple of miles, then it wouldn't go anywhere. Laughing

Tyre pressures are probably a good idea as well Razz.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 30 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1