Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Speedo stopped working

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

asphaltic99
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:23 - 25 Mar 2004    Post subject: Speedo stopped working Reply with quote

The speedo on my Varadero 125 has stopped working.

It has a black cable with 2 wires in it coming from the front wheel so I guess its an electronic one. And the wires are not loose/unattached.

What is the reason for it? Is it the speedo drive that has blown up and needs replacing? Is it something simpler than that? The Honda dealer around here is as much use as a chocolate fireguard....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:43 - 26 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm 99% sure the Varadero speedo is analog, can you post some pictures of the left and right side of the front wheel? basically it should be the only cable not going to your brakes!
a mate of mine has one of these and i have been looking for a manual for it with no joy..

Speedos do go every so often, has the front wheel been off recently for anything? (such as a tyre change) chances are its just broken off and just need replacing, will be something like £8-12 for a new cable i reckon, if you can post pics somebody will be able to identify which bit it is..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

asphaltic99
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:30 - 26 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently had the front tyre changed but the bloke who did it said that nothing was loose in there, it was all connected up. Will do some pics tomorrow.

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:11 - 26 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how it is on the xl125 but on my bike the speedo drive on the wheel has two metal plate things which slot into the slots on the speedo drive, if they aren't lined up properly they will work fine for a while then just snap apparently, probably has just snapped though, just something to take note of if it happens again..

asphaltic99
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:05 - 27 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the wheel need to come out to check that? On the lhs of the hub is a metal thing (like a small drum) that the wires go into. I can see the two wires. I think i will check that tomorrow. Cheers zero!!

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:25 - 27 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you tighten up any bolts to the correct torque setting or you will have a VERY bad day! (wheels falling off/striping threds) Shocked it may well be different but should be similar...

asphaltic99
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:48 - 28 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the photo of the lhs of the front wheel. There is actually 3 wires going into the silver bit not 2.

I haven't had the front wheel off myself but when the front tyre was changed I mentioned it to the guy who did it and he said nothing was loose/unconnected in there.

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:10 - 28 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh er, nothing like mine then..
To be honest, don't try anything without the manual its not worth it, unless somebody here knows what to do with it...
If the speedo has just stopped working it could be (and probably is) a loose wire/corroded or a problem with the clocks :/
Like i said, try phoning a honda dealership and get hold of a manual (unless it mentions it in your users manual) i haven't seen a haynes one or anything which is what you want really...

asphaltic99
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:36 - 28 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help anyway, will get to the bottom of this

needa400
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:49 - 31 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

checked your fuses? could also be corrosion on connectors, especially if you live closeish to the coast (salty air), which is leading to poor pickup!

just a guess, but hey, ya never know!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 2 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1