Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Advice for 2009 Jerez GP

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Touring & Exploration by EuropeanNC30Rider (4 Sep 2008 - 08:18)
View previous topic : View next topic  

Adam80UK
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:55 - 03 Sep 2008    Post subject: Advice for 2009 Jerez GP Reply with quote

Me and friends are looking to do another foreign trip next year, getting a ferry from Portsmouth to Bilbao on 29th April (last one in time for GP).

The GP is planned for the 3rd of May, and ferry would get in to Bilbao about 8am. From there it's about 600 miles of no doubt boring motorways etc.

Any advice on places to go to bypass boring routes and takes up the few days between arriving in Bilbao and the Jerez GP?

Cheers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Adam80UK
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:11 - 03 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to the distance from Bilbao to Jerez, instead we will probably go from Bilbao and head to France to take in the Millau viaduct super bridge.

As such, I'm now thinking we could instead maybe visit the Le Mans GP on the 17th (getting the ferry on the 13th). As such, same kinda question applies, where should we go, what should we see?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nautilus
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:29 - 06 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go to Jerez! There's a fantastic atmosphere there. The latin temperament of the Spanish gives the place a buzz you don't get at Le Mans, the weather's better too! It's about 4 years since I rode there and at that time it wasn't motorway after Salamanca but A roads. They were busily converting it to motorway so don't know what it's like now. It was a good fast road last time I went and not too boring. The Picos mountains are brilliant if you've time to spend a day or two there. There's nice places to stop on the way down. If you like a bit of history Merida is stuffed with Roman ruins including a theatre amphitheatre and circus.

https://mogs-travels.blogspot.com

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:39 - 06 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out my tour, I went from Santander all the way do to Cadiz,

https://bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=151769&highlight=fried+green

I hit some fairly interesting routes via Portugal the problem is you still have to cross what I call the empty sectors , so instead of going to Ciudad Rodrigo (though there are some desolate and fantastic roads south of there)you head towards Fatima via the N238 N2 N342 meaning you only have 2 boring sectors and can go via the N385 and the N433 down to Seville.

Its hot mind, it took me 3.5 days to get to the South of Spain, though I was taking it easy on some parts , middle of the desert if you crash you will die type place...

If you do get to Jerez you can try the legendary Jerez Lap and get lost in the same mountain range I did between Ubeda and Murcia...

But as said the main problem with spain is the empty sectors.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:55 - 06 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coxy_UK wrote:
Due to the distance from Bilbao to Jerez, instead we will probably go from Bilbao and head to France to take in the Millau viaduct super bridge.

As such, I'm now thinking we could instead maybe visit the Le Mans GP on the 17th (getting the ferry on the 13th). As such, same kinda question applies, where should we go, what should we see?

Pamplona N240 , (nice place to camp near the lake) . to the coast.

But you can stop along the way for Jaca to Pau

Jaca to huesca

The full route I did in a day was Bilbao , Pamplona N240 to Jaca N330 to Sabinanigo up the N260 cross to Broto Ainsa N260 all the way to Andorra, but hitting the N260 and going into Andorra via the eastern entry point.

The problem with this is that the road from Fiscal to Broto is terrible so you may want to take a riskier route the A-1604 between Sanbininago to Laguarta , I would have taken it but I was riding on a time budget and had to cover ground quickly

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&saddr=encamp+andorra&daddr=42.621834,-0.115356+to:N-330%2FE-7+%4042.544250,+-0.410660+to:bilbao&hl=en&geocode=%3B%3BFXosiQId3Lv5_w%3B&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=9&via=1,2&sll=42.393037,-0.211487&sspn=0.84585,1.746826&ie=UTF8&ll=42.931291,-2.833099&spn=0.419283,0.873413&z=10

is an approximate route I did
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

nautilus
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:41 - 06 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think going via Andorra and Portugal could be considered the scenic route!!! Very Happy

https://mogs-travels.blogspot.com
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 228 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1